• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Well I went to DSG today looking for a pound of pyrodex but they had everything but the powder. Does anywhere around Bel Air sell pyrodex?

Have you considered the Alliant Black-MZ ? If anyone carries that up north.. It seems everyone stocks it down here in Southern Maryland.

I wouldn't wish Triple 7 on my worst enemies so I wouldn't even suggest that. I'm not telling you anything new, but, I'm just saying how I feel about it. At least they made it easy to clean they don't tell how damned dirty it is. :D

cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks
    Autumn Sky Outfitters in Street is the only place I know of in the area with muzzleloader supplies.

Sent from an overpriced and over-rated camera/internet browser that can be used as a telephone in an emergency.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    Autumn Sky Outfitters in Street is the only place I know of in the area with muzzleloader supplies.

Sent from an overpriced and over-rated camera/internet browser that can be used as a telephone in an emergency.

Thanks I forgot about that. I was in there a week ago getting arrows too.

Kimber45

Jan 14, 2011
    Whiteford
    I just switched to Blackhorne 209. I have about 3/4 of a bottle of Pyrodex RS you are welcome to. I live in Forest Hill if you want to stop by and pick it up. PM me and i'll give you my address.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Not to drag up an old thread, but I followed what was written here and stopped but Autumn Sky. They had Pyrodex FFg and one other type which I didn't take notice of. Also had Triple-7. They did not have caps, though they did have plenty of 209 primers for inline rifles.

They also sell shotguns now, mostly Benelli.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Is there an advantage to using actual black powder? I was told that black powder performs better in a flintlock, but I'm not sure if that's true.

4F black powder is the only propellant which will quickly and reliably "catch" a spark and ignite in a flintlock pan. The 4F then ignites the coarser powder in the chamber through a small port, and here again BP has an advantage over substitutes, because it ignites more readily than they do. People have used substitutes for the main charge, but many swear by BP only. And there's no real substitute for 4F black powder in the pan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I think (my opinion) black powder works better than the substitutes. It is much better in flint locks and I even like it in 209 inlines. I love the smell of black powder in the morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom