• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    OK, folks -- here's the situation. I stumbled onto a friend of a friend last week who mentioned he had an old 1911 he wanted to sell. I've been on the lookout for a WWII piece, so asked to see it. It's a Remington Rand with a serial number that puts it in 1943 or 1944. Finish is about 50-60% with a fair amount of surface rust and pitting on the slide; all correct proof marks, inspector's stamp, sight register marks, visible craftsman's marks, etc. (I didn't have my camera, so no pics -- sorry!). Bore has distinct lands and grooves, with rust and frosting, but it doesn't look too bad, though it was obviously rode hard and put away wet at some point. Feed ramp highly polished consistent with significant use, though fit is pretty tight and it cycles (manually) nicely. Slide serrations have a few dings, but no conspicuous idiot marks evident; "Property of U.S. Government" engraving is intact and visible -- nothing funny. Grips are in excellent shape, but do not look to be replacements (unless it happened long, long ago). He had it examined by a smith at Cabela's (this is in Utah) and they gave him a written offer for 700.00 cash, which I saw. But here's the kicker -- the finish is blued. I thought all RRs were supposed to be Parkerized. Anybody able to shed any light?

He's asking 800 or 850, which I'd be willing to drop on it if the finish is original, but if it's re-finished I'm not sure it's worth that much. I would imagine that re-blueing an originally Parkerized pistol would be evident in reduced sharpness of the engraving, but to my inexpert eye this was not apparent. Thoughts?

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Early pistols used a Du-Lite matte blue:

1943_t2.jpg

does that look like what you saw?

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    By 43/44 timeframe, practically all (IIRC) RemRands were parkerized finish.
    Yes, the very early 1911-A1's from 36 to about 40 or 41 (maybe into 42) were blued or dulite finish.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    By 43/44 timeframe, practically all (IIRC) RemRands were parkerized finish.
    Yes, the very early 1911-A1's from 36 to about 40 or 41 (maybe into 42) were blued or dulite finish.

My limited google fu had Rand going into '43 (the pistol pictured is a '43) and certain manufacturers (US&S) used du-lite for their whole run.

screamingeagle

Mar 7, 2010
    My limited google fu had Rand going into '43 (the pistol pictured is a '43) and certain manufacturers (US&S) used du-lite for their whole run.

1911 R R's were indeed blued until 43 ,if you can post some pics it will be easy to tell if its reblued or not. IMO if its got surface rust and pitting on the slide I would just save up another 7-800 and get a nice one without issues.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    Thanks, all! It might take a few days, but let me see if I can get some pics to post. It looks a lot like the one DRMSPRKS posted, and to my eye it doesn't look re-finished -- something I thought I could distinguish until I read they were all parkerized. If the were finished with Du-lite into 1943, then that would explain it.

I'm strongly tempted, but I'd like to nail this down first. Watch this space, and again, thanks all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom