• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    This commenter from the internet is right.
    ------------------------------------------------------

Do we over-focus on details that may not matter that much when a pistol is used for self-defense. If you judge the trigger of pistols with snap-caps, slowly dry firing, feeling each scrape of friction, listening for and measuring reset, you can create a comparative rating for a bunch of pistols. I am asking if those are meaningful details.

When I do training and drill exercises using my Shield 1st generation, its trigger performance in dynamic action is flawless. The trigger does exactly what I need when firing on a target. I don’t feel friction, or creep, and I don’t care about audible reset. No, in action as near as I have gotten to actual conflict, this little pistol is 10/10.

I think my Shield mags hold 8 rounds. That is plenty of ammo, I don’t feel I am half-cocked. A few more rounds might make training better, but I don’t feel additional rounds is as important as gun journals seem to.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    I think the reviewers who focus on the reset of the trigger are so silly. Real world use of the pistol is that you just pull the trigger. You don't baby the trigger slowly to reset and pull again! These civies are so funny.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    I think the reviewers who focus on the reset of the trigger are so silly. Real world use of the pistol is that you just pull the trigger. You don't baby the trigger slowly to reset and pull again! These civies are so funny.
    This is a result of having so many good options.

It requires that much minutia to quantify the differences.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    While I Grok the first post , I see no discussion of quality of pistols from different eras ?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I wasn't alive then when mfg , but I know the quality and shooting charistics of Long Action S&W , pre WWII 1911 , S&W I Frames , 3rd Mdl Topbreak , etc .

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Just talkin‘...

And one comment instantaneously brought this to mind:

Attachments

• 62D9082E-0F31-4ED2-82CC-CF754B6F1670.jpeg
      62D9082E-0F31-4ED2-82CC-CF754B6F1670.jpeg
      57.4 KB · Views: 62
    Last edited:

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Yeah--I was hoping for more discussion of the topic. All of my experience w/handguns is pretty recent. Oldest pistol I ever shot was a Korean War era 1911 in Officer basic 1992---it had the rattles. Having said that... I shot Expert Marksman w/it during qualification. I was issued a .38 (don't remember if it was a Colt or S&W--whatever the USAF was issuing to Air Crews in the 80's) on my way to the desert for the first Gulf war, qualified with it only ever firing 25 rounds. Then the Baretta M9...never felt comfortable in my hands but... never had any functional problems on the range or while deployed. All the pistols I personally own were manufactured in this century. So, I'm interested...

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Yeah--I was hoping for more discussion of the topic. All of my experience w/handguns is pretty recent. Oldest pistol I ever shot was a Korean War era 1911 in Officer basic 1992---it had the rattles. Having said that... I shot Expert Marksman w/it during qualification. I was issued a .38 (don't remember if it was a Colt or S&W--whatever the USAF was issuing to Air Crews in the 80's) on my way to the desert for the first Gulf war, qualified with it only ever firing 25 rounds. Then the Baretta M9...never felt comfortable in my hands but... never had any functional problems on the range or while deployed. All the pistols I personally own were manufactured in this century. So, I'm interested...
    Expert Marksman? I knew that must have been an Air Force thing as soon as I read it. Lol!

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    One of those early 20th century smiths are probably one of the finest made handguns of any sort I ever worked on.
    K frame I think and not the ones with the coil springs in the lock mechanism like the later victory models.
    With the side-plate off, you can watch the mechanism, see it work and still not understand the geometry as you look at it.
    As a matter of fact, one could very hardly discern the side plate from the rest of the frame when its together before you even get to the works.
    You can feel the mainspring bounce and flex when its fingered and the internals all move together initiating the next sequence of movement like a watch movement.
    I dont know if they're good self defense guns or not but they sure are a nice piece of kit if you get a chance to mess with one.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Trigger doesn't matter = I don't do enough difficult shooting on a timer.

Push yourself hard enough, and eventually you'll discover it matters.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    Precision rifle trigger reset matters to me. Pistols hitting center mass are all I need.

While totally agree, I also think of caveats -

What if the rapidly approaching aggressor isn’t responding to the neat holes I am poking in their lungs. They’re juiced up. It’s nice to train with small pasties on various body parts. Might need to destroy a hip to prevent an advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom