• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jehu

May 23, 2005
    If someone purchases a regulated firearm in Md. and the "Not disapproved"paper work comesback to the FFL inside of 7 business days does the FFL still have to wait till the 8th day to release the firearm or is it ok to release it because the MSP OK'd the paper work and can someone show the statute that says it has to be 7 business days, no weekends or holidays.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    They have to wait at least 7 days, regardless of when the 'not disapproved' status comes back.

There's no mention of "business days", weekends or holidays in the law.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    They have to wait at least 7 days, regardless of when the 'not disapproved' status comes back.

There's no mention of "business days", weekends or holidays in the law.

The law mentions that if the 7th day falls on a Sunday or a Holiday, they can't transfer it until the next day after that that isn't a Sunday or a Holiday IIRC.

OP, use the search function, this has been discussed many times, and the letter from MSP is in one of the threads.

jehu

May 23, 2005
    Thanks for the reply. All FFL's that I talk to tell me weekends and holidays do'nt count in the 7 day wait, they say 7 business days.

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    Thanks for the reply. All FFL's that I talk to tell me weekends and holidays do'nt count in the 7 day wait, they say 7 business days.

Find a different FFL. I know Dan at Gun Connection will tell you to come back in 7 days. My usual FFLs in So. MD will also tell you to come back in 7 days. Note, I usually start a transfer during the week so the Sunday thing does not affect me, but a Holiday could.

My old FFL would try that business day crap on me. Luckily he was not very convenient and we have a few newer FFLs available so I no longer use him.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    If someone at the MSP wrote me a letter saying I couldn't buy steaks on Sunday, that wouldn't make it law.

jehu

May 23, 2005
    yeah it's 7 days if it falls on sundays or holidays you wait a day

I'm saying some FFL's don't count weekends or holidays in the 7 day count. Such as the 3 day weekend we just had with Presidents day. Some FFL's are saying that if you bought the regulated firearm on Friday and they sent the paper work on Friday then come Tuesday you have 6 more days to wait and some say the 7days start the day the MSP get the paper work.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    +1 to find a different FFL.

Gun Runners in Frederick does 7 calendar days.... Now he is not open on Sundays or Holidays so that becomes a moot point.

SkunkWerX

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2010
    MoCo/HoCo border
    The 7 day wait really feels like 10 days, sometimes 14 days. But there was this one time it felt like 21 days, but I think that is because I was outta beer. :rolleyes:

I was under the impression that MSP sends out the NOT DISAPPROVALS on the 7th day. if the 7th day is a Sunday, you are looking at Monday. But if your paper is sent in by the FFL on a Wednesday, more times than not, they will get the notification the following Wednesday, meaning, Sunday didn't add another day to the process.

I hadn't heard of MSP sending out the notifications early? Any FFLs have experience with this?

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    +1 to find a different FFL.

Gun Runners in Frederick does 7 calendar days.... Now he is not open on Sundays or Holidays so that becomes a moot point.

+1 on Gunrunners... two guns and a x-fered lower. Saturday paperwork, next Saturday pickup!

I think the counting method is on the back of the form. You don't exclude weekends. What folks said about if the 7th day is a Sunday or holiday, you have to wait till the next business day is the only tricky part.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    I don't know what FFL you guys are using but I have never been told 7 business days and I've had several regulated firearm purchases.

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    I don't know what FFL you guys are using but I have never been told 7 business days and I've had several regulated firearm purchases.

You wait till the paperwork comes back. Any FFL would have to be retarded to allow a gun to leave the shop without the transfer being approved by MSP. If the state drags their feet, you wait. Simple as that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom