• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rickman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2012
    Port Deposit, MD
    My ex SIL is a Chief in the CG and he along with my Grandson (16) and rest of the family are going to be stationed there. His wife is asking me for info about the area, rental homes or inexpensive short sales in the area adjacent to Curtis Bay? Anyone have any good info I can pass on to them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Particular question I would have is any area (I know, MD) to stay away from. Hopefully they can find a nice family area. Looking for something like 4br/2b.

willyb

Sep 15, 2009
    glen burnie, md
    Curtis bay is a dump. I would definitely not move my family there. the hanover/severn area (about 15 minutes away) is not too bad, minus slightly heavy mall traffic and planes flying over head

Rickman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2012
    Port Deposit, MD
    Thanks. I passed the link along to his wife and she will be following the post directly. I saw from the map that it is pretty close to BWI.

Thanks for your input.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Anything close on the other side of the Key Bridge as well like in Edgemere . There are plenty of houses for sale in 21219 , It's only 10-15 minutes away from the CG yard .

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Curtis Bay is a "used to be a good place to grow up" (60 years ago) neighborhood. Now it's suffering the effects of the downtown people being pushed out by the Yuppies.

You can get to the Coast Guard yard from anywhere North of Annapolis in 20-30 minutes.

There's a high school-aged kid involved so that is going to play a large part in the decision because there are very wide differences in the high schools in AACO.

I'll be happy to talk with you about the schools via PM if you wish.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Rickman, I agree with the others about CB, not a great place to live. My brother is Uscg and was there years ago and it was bad then can't see it being any better now.

Oddly enough, my brother in law is stationed there now and rents a house near me in Harford county. I'm sure he would be happy to help with input if you like. I would guess they will be working together soon as well. Drop me a pm and I'll give you his info. He's on this board from time to time. :)

Rickman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2012
    Port Deposit, MD
    Again, Thanks for all the info.

Notron, I'll get with you about the schools after I talk to Cassandra again. My Grandson Darius needs a very good school. He is an honors kid and I would really hate for him not to be able to continue to excel just because of a move.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    My ex SIL is a Chief in the CG and he along with my Grandson (16) and rest of the family are going to be stationed there. His wife is asking me for info about the area, rental homes or inexpensive short sales in the area adjacent to Curtis Bay? Anyone have any good info I can pass on to them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Particular question I would have is any area (I know, MD) to stay away from. Hopefully they can find a nice family area. Looking for something like 4br/2b.

Curtis Bay is a Dump, Brooklyn/Brooklyn Park is Close and not bad at all DEPENDING on exactly where the house is, basically, the closer you are to the intersection of Church St and Ritchie Hwy you are, the better

Also look in Linthicum, Ferndale and Glen Burnie

I know there are homes off Church St on Patrick Henry for sale, STAY AWAY from those(Drugs), feel free to pm me addresses and I'll be happy to help, also if I'm not sure, I know a couple of the Local LEO's that patrol the area and will be happy to ask

a number of homes for sale in the Glen Burnie Park neighborhood

We'll have lived there 20 years this summer, and the issues have been rare to non-existent

+1
    My parents live right down the street from Mr. H and Grandmother has lived on the opposite side of Crain Hwy for 40 yrs GB Park is an excellent choice

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I can only echo what others have said about the Yard. I was homeported there in 1995-1996 and the surrounding area was a dump then. I strongly doubt that it has improved. Heed Norton's advice on the schools as some are good, some are not and a few seem to be simply holding cells until the inmates can be released into GenPop.

caviman2201

Mar 19, 2014
    Glen Burnie
    I live in the Tanyard Springs neighborhood off Marley Neck Blvd and I can say its a pretty nice community. We have the occasional creepy crawler wandering through the neighborhood because there's a city bus stop that is about a 20-25 minute walk from the entrance to the neighborhood, but residents are pretty vigilant and they get the cops called on them almost immediately. There is a LOT of LE in the neighborhood as well. Its about a 5 minute drive from the CG Yard, so you may what to check it out. Also, I grew up in Riviera Beach area which is another 5-10 mins down the road and while that area seems to be having more issues of late, its still not a "bad" area.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Personally, I would look at the Arnold, Severna Park area.

I concur. While most AA county schools are ok - good. Severna Park and Broadneck schools are consistently near the top. Check out this link:

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_yl...county&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-901

Severna Park proper tends towards pricier homes, but some areas are more moderate. Arnold area is similar but probably on average a bit less pricey. AA County in general have higher than average (for central Maryland) property values, but AA county, being somewhat conservative politically, has maintained a property tax cap keeping property tax rates among the lowest in the state and have to a lesser extent kept the 'piggy back tax' (county add-on to income tax) at a lower rate than most other counties.

My sisters girls all graduated from Old Mill within the last few years and seemed to do very well. This school serves Millersville, some of Crownsville (near where I live) and parts of Glen Burnie. I also knew a number of their friends and also some co-workers kids who graduated from there in the last few years. All seemed to do quite well and were good kids with friends that seemed to be good kids. My kids did well at Broadneck and I have friends who had kids at Severna Park. It's reputation for academics reaches back to it's creation (FYI, I graduated there in 1975).

null

Troll in training
    May 10, 2011
    Pasadena
    I'd recommend Pasadena and Severna Park for the schools if the homes are in their price range.

It wouldn't hurt to jump on Zillow to see whats out there.

Jan 8, 2013
    I'm at CB now. It sucks. The first year I lived in the Crownsville area and it was awesome. 20-25min to work everyday.

Wife works in dc now so we had to move closer to her work. I do 45-60 mineach way to work now. It's still not bad. I'd be very selective of where to live if you're north of 100.

Crofton seems to be a nice area too. Have a bunch of friends who live in Millersville and really like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom