• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tapeman1

Ultimate Member
    Aug 31, 2012
    Severna Park, MD
    We're planning on buying some land in WV in a few years. Most likely we'll buy something with a house/cabin already on it. If not, we'll build one. For the next 10 to 15 years it will be a second property held in addition to our house in MD.

Does anyone know if I'll be able to just switch my residency to WV once we buy? Or will I have to wait until we move there full time?

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    It's the same as everywhere else, you can't just get a WV driver's license because you own property there. You're going to have to pretty much live there.

DanJo

Mar 4, 2010
    Western Howard County
    The 50% of time residency rule is correct, but neither MD or WV will be able to prove where you are spending the majority of your time...............maybe your MD house is your second home and the WV house is your primary. Just remember that it is all or nothing. If you want to claim WV residency for 2A purposes you will also need to have a WV drivers license, register your vehicles in WV, vote in WV, and the big one if you have kids...............send your kids to WV schools as you would no longer be a MD resident.

tapeman1

Ultimate Member
    Aug 31, 2012
    Severna Park, MD
    The 50% of time residency rule is correct, but neither MD or WV will be able to prove where you are spending the majority of your time...............maybe your MD house is your second home and the WV house is your primary. Just remember that it is all or nothing. If you want to claim WV residency for 2A purposes you will also need to have a WV drivers license, register your vehicles in WV, vote in WV, and the big one if you have kids...............send your kids to WV schools as you would no longer be a MD resident.

I can handle that. No kids anyway.

Thanks.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Been at the Undisclosed Location for the last 5 days and just getting back to periscope depth.

I don't have the information right at my fingertips, but basically it has to be one state or the other and WV is pretty stringent on on the +50% residency.

Yes, no one can check it, but you have to declare one or the other and decide which has the greater benefit.

Since our place is a "camp", there was no way we could justify it.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    I think u can establish residence. However changing your domicile is harder. Residencey you can probably get along with a license. Its the tax money they want that is why its harder to change your domicile.

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    Couldn't you have a split household? You take residency (2A) benefits and wife keeps residency in MD (future school). I knew many people in FLorida that did this.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Couldn't you have a split household? You take residency (2A) benefits and wife keeps residency in MD (future school). I knew many people in FLorida that did this.

Only MSP Superintendent Marcus Brown can do this. The rest of us will be prosecuted.

Brown lives in Bmore and receives a Homestead Credit on his house there.
    His wife and kids live in Harrisburg PA, She receives a Homestead Credit there.
    Not really legal, but it is Marcus Brown.

gabe72

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2012
    sharpsburg
    I have several customers who claim residencey there and live in md to get in state college tuition,funny thing is most are very liberal but don't beleive they should have to pay.

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    The West Virginia Law of Relativity is: You can marry your Cousin. But your Cousin has got to be commonlaw.

http://www.cousincouples.com/?page=states

As the map shows, marrying your cousin is illegal in WV, whereas it is not only legal, it's probably encouraged in MD, especially if your cousin is another fellow. You can't do anything normal in this state, like buy a pistol, or beer, or a car, or get rained on, without a huge hassle, bizarre regulations, and/or crazy taxes, but if you have a taste for deviancy, and/or happen to be in the country illegally, then by God, this state is Paradise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom