• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    I am going to a Church "school" this weekend. I know I will be unable to carry a firearm, but am I legally able to carry an auto knife? The event I am going to I actually may need a knife (arts and crafts).

cmb

Dec 28, 2012
    Conowingo MD
    I've had more automatic knives than I can remember. They're not as one hand user friendly as most Axis Lock knives. The Dalton Battle Dragon (above the $ bill) is the only auto I have left. It's a "single purpose" rare bird! The 2 Benchmade Contegos are on me daily. After the pivot fasteners are adjusted, the weight of the blade is all that's required to open and close them. Totally one hand operation. Side opening Automatics require you to force them closed against the spring. Out the front autos are of limited use, because of tight tolerances in the handle. Any foreign substance on the blade will hinder their operation....been there, done that!

Attachments

• Resized_20210325_042844.jpeg
      Resized_20210325_042844.jpeg
      93.5 KB · Views: 61
    • 0127191028.jpg
      0127191028.jpg
      225.4 KB · Views: 62

systemmaster

MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2009
    Lost
    I am going to a Church "school" this weekend. I know I will be unable to carry a firearm, but am I legally able to carry an auto knife? The event I am going to I actually may need a knife (arts and crafts).
    An auto knife is considered a "switchblade" under dangerous weapons criminal law and is illegal to carry without a CCW permit. They are legal to own, just not carry without.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    An auto knife is considered a "switchblade" under dangerous weapons criminal law and is illegal to carry without a CCW permit. They are legal to own, just not carry without.

Right this is what I'm saying. I have my MD CCW I want to know if I can carry the auto knife in a school.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    Right this is what I'm saying. I have my MD CCW I want to know if I can carry the auto knife in a school.
    What about this in 4-102

(b) Prohibited. -- A person may not carry or possess a firearm, knife, or deadly weapon of any kind on public school property.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    What about this in 4-102

(b) Prohibited. -- A person may not carry or possess a firearm, knife, or deadly weapon of any kind on public school property.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks. I am not sure that extends to private schools. Ah well. I'll use a regular knife.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    While I think "intent" applies to carriage of automatic knives in MD, there are few that are astough as my Benchmade Contego, which is a legal penknife. I can openit as quickly as any OTS auto.

Of course, it's frowned on to bring a knife to a gun fight; people will snicker, at your wake.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Can carry openly, just not concealed.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

I can carry it concealed with my MD CCW. My only question was can it be carried in a private school. Still not 100% sure on that. But the event is over so for now the point it moot.

bigcountry

Jan 4, 2013
    Carroll County
    I have a MD CCW and I can't find where I can legally carry a gravity or spring assisted knife with the wear and carry. Could anyone show me a reference? I know stun guns and tasers are docemented

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    I have a MD CCW and I can't find where I can legally carry a gravity or spring assisted knife with the wear and carry. Could anyone show me a reference? I know stun guns and tasers are docemented
    You posted a similar question in this thread you started and an answer was given.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

NO !

They are illegal to * Conceal * w/o W&C . They may be open carried , if not with criminal intent .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You posted a similar question in this thread you started and an answer was given.

And the link to 4-101 is in this thread also

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For Delaware...

Clicked on this from curiosity .

It reads as if it were machine translated from a foreign language , and doesn't even hang together with internal consistency .

Looked closer , and it is ( whatever the internet term for copied from ) from some place/ group called " Knifeade " . I'm familiar with a couple of legit knife/ tool rights organizations , but never heard of knifeade before .

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    Question: Does the Baltimore Co Parks restriction on automatic knife possession override what the state allows with an HGP?

I clicked on Baltimore County here

And then looked at Article 30, 30-1-201 Prohibited Activities (c) Possession

(ii) A dirk knife, bowie knife, switchblade, sand club, metal knuckles, razor, nunchaku, or dart;

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Can carry openly (without a permit), just not concealed.
    ^^ This

I believe it's been ruled the visible pocket clip makes it "open carry".
    ^^ And this

NO !

They are illegal to * Conceal * w/o W&C . They may be open carried , if not with criminal intent .
    ^^ And this as well.

Just because one has a permit, that doesn't mean an auto knife won't be confiscated by a zealous, and ignorant law dog.

You may get it back in time, but who knows.

Not saying it will be taken away, but recall one of our own being told open carry was illegal Downy Ohshun.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    I've never seen that. Do you have a source?
    Thanks.
    This is what I used to justify my carry of an auto knife, prior to getting the Crown's permission slip.

My knife could still be confiscated by Deputy Fife.

Concealment

The opinion in the case of Smith v State, 308 A.2d 442 (1973) provides the test for concealment:

A weapon is “concealed” within statute prohibiting wearing or carrying a concealed weapon if it is so situated as not to be discernible by ordinary observation by those who would be near enough to see it if it were not concealed and who would come into contact with possessor in usual associations of life, but absolute invisibility is not required.

Concealment is an issue of fact to be determined by a jury and will be dependent on the circumstances presented. It cannot be definitively stated whether “pocket clip” carry would be considered concealed. One should take note of the warning that “absolute invisibility is not required.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom