• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • casualmadness

Man about town
    Jun 4, 2012
    VA
    Any local firearms instructors/schools/etc have an agreement with the Veteran's Administration to accept GI bill payments for training? Before you laugh...some places do this. The Sig Sauer Academy, for example offers courses that are GI Bill approved. However, they're in New Hampshire.

I'm a Veteran, have GI bill money, already have three college degrees (no need for more). Would love to spend what's left of my GI bill money doing something fun.
    If any instructors here can utilize this, please pm me as I'm not on this site very often.

Thanks!

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Great idea!

I don't know sorry.

I'm in the same boat as you; and as we know, we have only 10 years to use the money we set aside for this purpose or we lose it. I'll keep an eye out, and if anyone knows of any other interesting courses that will accept GI Bill/College Fund money, please post it here.

casualmadness

Man about town
    Jun 4, 2012
    VA
    I've been researching the hell out of this as I have a year of GI bill remaining and would love to spend it having fun.

The Sig Sauer Academy in NH accepts GI Bill but only at the academy in NH and only for specific courses. Some of courses look to be stuff I would love to do but they're only available there. (I talked to them today)

NRA has an instructor course that lasts six months in Lake Charles Louisiana that accepts GI Bill. I can't remember the name of the school/store (was researching at lunch on my phone) but it shouldn't be too hard to find. They said it took about four years to get approval and they're currently working with their counterpart in Texas but expect it to be about another two years or so before it's a reality.

Also found a school in San Diego, CA that offers a high threat executive protection course that accepts GI Bill. It's 19 days (full days) and they say the VA may or may not pay housing (obviously if you aren't local you're staying a hotel). Again, on my phone so I can't remember names but I found it via google.

Also-for any instructors who want to get this going, there's a link on the VA's GI bill page (I'll research it and try to find the link again) that allows school owner's/instructors to submit the paperwork that allows them to accept the GI Bill.
    I've trained with some guys around here and know that there are some top notch instructors here. If some of you guys are willing to jump through the VA hoops, you would have guys like me signing up for any and every class that came along.

I'm gonna keep researching this. As I find more info, I'll post.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Wouldn't it have to be some sort of "accredited" school? Or something of the such?
    Sig is a full time, in business school so to speak.

casualmadness

Man about town
    Jun 4, 2012
    VA
    Wouldn't it have to be some sort of "accredited" school? Or something of the such?
    Sig is a full time, in business school so to speak.

I'm not sure how the VA rates these places. But I've found a few that say the GI bill is good to go. Mostly I'm finding executive protection places. Some stuff is limited to LE/Mil.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I'm not sure how the VA rates these places. But I've found a few that say the GI bill is good to go. Mostly I'm finding executive protection places. Some stuff is limited to LE/Mil.

Yeah. What I was getting at is what is keeping someone just having the money go to a friend who says he is an instructor, he gets it and you both split it? LOL

But knowing the VA, the application procedure is probably more thorough than needed.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    as a veteran who used the GI bill and as an instructor, the only thing i can say is, our real estate agent added a boat-load of documents to our loan because of VA regs. i don't know how the program works, but i'll try an do some research on it in the upcoming days.

contacting sig might be my first step, as trying to explain things to the VA is hopeless. if you could, please provide the link on the VA website. thanks.

casualmadness

Man about town
    Jun 4, 2012
    VA
    as a veteran who used the GI bill and as an instructor, the only thing i can say is, our real estate agent added a boat-load of documents to our loan because of VA regs. i don't know how the program works, but i'll try an do some research on it in the upcoming days.

contacting sig might be my first step, as trying to explain things to the VA is hopeless. if you could, please provide the link on the VA website. thanks.

That's strange...I used the VA home loan to buy my house and it was simple. The entire closing took less than an hour.

I'm looking for info about getting certified with VA. If I find anything, I'll post it.

Tom Perroni

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2009
    Virginia
    GI Bill

CCJA will be taking the GI Bill after April of this year!

The accreditation process took 6 months....They did an on sight inspection and curriculum review. This was no joke and was not cheap. Your school must be accredited through no less then (3) entities and NO the NRA is not one.

However I feel it was worth the effort so that our veterans can get top notch training.

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    You might want to look into gunsmithing as vocational training. I might be wrong, but there are probably "brick and mortar" schools around.

casualmadness

Man about town
    Jun 4, 2012
    VA
    CCJA will be taking the GI Bill after April of this year!

The accreditation process took 6 months....They did an on sight inspection and curriculum review. This was no joke and was not cheap. Your school must be accredited through no less then (3) entities and NO the NRA is not one.

However I feel it was worth the effort so that our veterans can get top notch training.

PM coming your way sir...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom