• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Copper

Shock Trooper In Stooper
    Jan 26, 2012
    I need some input from the Mustang owners on here.

I currently carry a S&W Bodyguard for one of my backup/off duty carry guns and I really like it. It has run absolutely flawlessly for me with no issues ever.

What I'm looking at is maybe a Colt Mustang as another backup/off duty carry gun for those days I want to feel classy.

My question is do they run flawlessly as well or do they have the occassional hickup as some of their big brothers do. I really don't want to spend the money on one if its gonna stove pipe or ftf on me every 2nd or 3rd mag. My life depends on my guns and I will not put my life at risk with a gun that tends to malfunction.

So your honest experience with them will be appreciated. And photos of your ponies will not be discouraged.

Thanks,
    Jim

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    i have the colt govt .380 model. i havent had any issues.
    but since it is SA only, it can be carried empty chambered, round in chamber hammer down, or cocked and locked( round in chamber cocked with safety on).

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    I have a mustang and although i havent put thousands of rounds thru it, it hasnt malfunctioned at all. Have shot several different loads, hot to standard no problems. The only problem i have run into with iwb carry ,I found the safety disengaged one time. Probably my or holsters fault. If you keep checking it you give yourself away as a carrier. It takes the longer gov model mag and they have mags with a pinky spur also. I love mine, just a small 1911. No pic on this phone but the "family " is in a thread somewhere.

If you like the Colt Mustang and the SIG P238, you'll love the SIG P938. It's like the Colt and it's SIG brother but in 9MM.

All three are single action like the 1911 and the ones I have run flawlessly. The Colt Mustang and SIG 238 can swap parts including mags............Colt mags are cheaper.

Copper

Shock Trooper In Stooper
    Jan 26, 2012
    I have shot both the 238 and the 938 but I have not shot a mustang, that is the reason for the input. I love the sigs and the 226 is my duty weapon but for some reason the pony is calling my name:shrug:

And honestly, like I said, it would only be carried for those "I wanna feel pretty days...."

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    The actual Colt Pony is a DAO version of the Mustang for those who don't know. My late wife had one and she did not like the DA pull of the Pony at all so she swapped it with a Mustang from a dealer. I used to have a Mustang quite awhile ago and I never had any problems with it. These days I have a Walther PPK/S (Interarms model) as a deep BUG. Shoots fine once you get rid of the stock grips and put a Pachmyer set on there.

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    I used to have a Colt Mustang Pocketlite and currently have a Colt Gov't 380 - both were/are outstanding and never had an issue with either. I switched from the Mustang to the Gov't because I didn't like the smaller grip on the Mustang.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Cough.....

I have two in stock, one a limited edition Custom Shop gun limited to 500 made, and one a standard polymer model.

Custom Shop, $999.00

I believe the standard model runs $700-ish.

photo98.jpg

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I love my Govt Mk IV. The Pachmayr grips were a definite plus. I don't recall ever having a FTF/FTE. The trigger is very light though. I need to investigate that. I don't know if they are all like that or not.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I had one for outside of state carry, but ended up selling it.

It was a beautiful gun, but it was just a PITA to have to disengage the safety to fire.

I am a big fan of 1911s, so I'm not a stranger to cocked and locked carry, it's just the thing is so small it's easy to miss the safety with the thumb sweep unless you're thinking about what you're doing, it was not intuitive for me like it is with a larger 1911 safety, and I was always tending to worry that I was wearing out the hammer spring by keeping it cocked for so long. I know that's irrational, but by that time I had gotten so used to carrying double to single action or striker fired pistols that it was just an unwanted PITA to have to mess with the safety at all when with a CZ-82, a P-64, a G23 or G26, or a CZ-75 compact all I have to do is pull, extend, acquire, and fire.

That said, never had a problem with it. The only issues were a couple stovepipes due to light reloads. No issues with factory ammo.

This is my P238 SIG with the seven round extended Colt Mustang mag. It solves the short grip problem for bigger handed people like me. The trigger is an aluminium replacement also it has a Hogue aluminium spring housing. I DON'T like plastic!

Attachments

• Signess II 001.jpg
      Signess II 001.jpg
      64.9 KB · Views: 196

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads