• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I am just wondering if the new laws going into effect in MD change any of the C&R stuff. Essentially I would like to know if I could buy handguns such as cz 82's and tokarevs after oct 1 without jumping through the new hoops if I were to get a C&R license. Thanks.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I'm no expert but I think the only C&R issues with SB281 is in regards to magazine capacity. You couldn't legally get a CZ 82 shipped here (with a mag anyway) because the mag is over 10 rounds, for example. Toks should be fine.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    so a c&r enables you to avoid the new permits and fingerprinting for purchasing handguns? Obviously not modern ones but at least some of the cool old ones?

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I forgot about the handgun licensing, I thought I was grandfathered in since I already own regulated handguns. Not sure how that affects C&R buying. I would think vendors would still ship C&R guns to MD C&R holders, but not sure if you could legally receive them under MD law without the licensing BS, assuming it applies to you. That's a good question.

Obviously I don't know what distributors will do with mags over 10 rounds.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    yeah thats what I was trying to figure out. I know if you have already bought regulated weapons you dont need to do the training requirements but the way I understand it you still have to pay for a permit and fingerprinting. Hopefully some of the seasoned C&R guys will weigh in. I just figured that you could probably do that since with a C&R you have an ffl.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    A lot of ignorant sellers and even distributors are already on the bandwagon locking Maryland buyers out.

They think a "gun" is or will be banned because it has a mag capacity of 10+ rounds, when its simply the magazine that can't be sold, manufactured or transferred in Maryland; the firearms themselves are and will continue to be perfectly legal.

Of course you are still free to possess and own hi-cap mags.

C&R is already useless for in state transfers of C&R handguns, but you can order to your door from out of state.

I have no idea how they will ultimately apply this law with regard to C&R regulated firearms, but my guess is most sellers will simply shut Maryland buyers out on these items.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    A lot of ignorant sellers and even distributors are already on the bandwagon locking Maryland buyers out.

They think a "gun" is or will be banned because it has a mag capacity of 10+ rounds, when its simply the magazine that can't be sold, manufactured or transferred in Maryland; the firearms themselves are and will continue to be perfectly legal.

Of course you are still free to possess and own hi-cap mags.

C&R is already useless for in state transfers of C&R handguns, but you can order to your door from out of state.

I have no idea how they will ultimately apply this law with regard to C&R regulated firearms, but my guess is most sellers will simply shut Maryland buyers out on these items.

That would suck.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I would imagine so ... if you asked them to. You might still have to pay full price, though. Another option might be to have the mag shipped separately to an out of state FFL and go there to pick it up. Not sure about this ... just thinking aloud.

The important thing is if it is legal to buy handguns with a C&R without the new permits

pasadenatim

Mar 22, 2013
    Unfortunately, I too feel the distributors will blacklist Maryland. I tried purchasing an Argentine Colt .45 from Sarco in PA. No high Cap magazine, regular 1911 that is C&R eligible. They said they cannot ship any C&R handguns to Maryland. This was about two weeks ago. Not sure if it is Malice against Maryland, or just uncertainly of our laws. Either way, we end up on the short end.

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    Unfortunately, I too feel the distributors will blacklist Maryland. I tried purchasing an Argentine Colt .45 from Sarco in PA. No high Cap magazine, regular 1911 that is C&R eligible. They said they cannot ship any C&R handguns to Maryland. This was about two weeks ago. Not sure if it is Malice against Maryland, or just uncertainly of our laws. Either way, we end up on the short end.

Sarco has been this way forever. Way before O'Maggot's BS was passed.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010

This is not new with Sarco. They refuse to accept C&R from any MD residents even for FTF transactions. I emaiied them the correct legal info but they ignored it.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    This is a litte off subject but is related.
    A few weeks ago I bought two brand new promag 1022 magazines from big dogs, brought them home and put them in the safe for a feew weeks until I was able to use them, I went to use them they wouldbt work, I called promag and was given a return number. I sent them in and waited. I called and was told they sent me two 10 round magazines because they can not ship any magazane over 10 rounds to md. I tried to explain that the new laws are not in effect yet and they could send me up to 20 round magazines. They did not listen or care about the current laws. I am thinking many more compineys are going to be doing this becsuse they dont know or understand the laws

c33m0n3y

Mar 14, 2010
    Howard County
    Why would anything change after October 1st with regards to C&R FFL's being able to continue to purchase and receive C&R qualifying handguns directly? Is there specific language in the new law invalidating the privileges of C&R FFL's?

DHCraig

Aug 21, 2012
    South County
    The fact is, between the Feds and the 50 states -each of which to one degree or another are proving grounds for various legislative and regulatory schemes- most folks holding a commercial FFL are going to throw in the towel when it comes to states like this one. Truth be told in my experience many resident 01 holders are sufficiently scared by the rhetoric so as to go way beyond the already onerous legal hoops, in fear of prosecution should they be strict constructionist in interpreting Maryland law. They have good cause to be scared and cautious to the extreme- this is after all Maryland, and they don't want to be the on the wrong end of a legal battle over regulatory interpretation. With in-state business licensees running scared can you blame out-of-state dealers for being reticent to deal with Maryland's regulatory manure pile? It is safer for them to just write us off, C&R or no C&R.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    The only thing that SB281 affects C&R license holders is magazine capacity and semi-automatic rifles on the banned list, or that conform to the "copycat" features. You do not need to get an HQL. C&R handguns are SPECIFICALLY exempt from the HQL requirements. To be honest I can't think of any original configured semi-auto rifles that would be affected by SB281. Machineguns are not affected, so you'll still be able to buy that $40,000 Thompson, and unmodified semi-automatic rifles like the SKS are still okay. I guess the only one I can think of right now, would be an old M14, but they're usually full auto M1A's... eh still sucks.

End result = CZ82 w/o the mags. I've already talked to Southern Ohio Gun, and they'll still continue to ship C&R handguns after Oct. 1st, just simply w/o any mags >10rnds.

BTW... F' Sarco, they're way overpriced anyway.

Jul 1, 2012
    The way it's worded it appears that the HQL is not required for C&R handguns purchased within the state of MD too (specifically exempt from the "licensing requirement") but we'd still have to do all the registration / waiting. So if I walk into a local gun shop and spy a WWI 1911 I could legally buy it without having the HQL. True or False? or unknown at this point?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom