• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chrisflhtc

Jan 28, 2010
    Hagerstown
    I loaded a few rounds (5) with too much powder so I pulled them and am getting ready to reload them and was wondering weather or not I would have to re-size the neck. I used a Lee FC die when I first loaded them and used a kinetic puller to unload them, do I have to worry that the neck tension will not be enough?They are still primed.TIA
    Chris

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Straight wall or bottle neck cartridge? If it's a straight wall, I'd suggest using the belling die and then reseat the bullet. If it's a bottleneck, rechamfer the inside of the mouth and reseat the bullet.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Straight wall or bottle neck cartridge? If it's a straight wall, I'd suggest using the belling die and then reseat the bullet. If it's a bottleneck, rechamfer the inside of the mouth and reseat the bullet.

he mentioned factory crimp. so it somewhat deforms the very tip of the case..

so to be in the safe side.. i'd resize it.

if you can pop out the depriming pin would be great and resize.. if not..use the resizer/deprimer and use caution!.. if done slowly it will be fine. you just have to catch the primer and reuse it. :)

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    he mentioned factory crimp. so it somewhat deforms the very tip of the case..

so to be in the safe side.. i'd resize it.

if you can pop out the depriming pin would be great and resize.. if not..use the resizer/deprimer and use caution!.. if done slowly it will be fine. you just have to catch the primer and reuse it. :)

If he's using a Lee, he can just push the resizing button through enough to open the case mouth again without having to resize the entire case and pop the primer. Just don't stroke the handle all of the way, just half way, that should do it.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    If he's using a Lee, he can just push the resizing button through enough to open the case mouth again without having to resize the entire case and pop the primer. Just don't stroke the handle all of the way, just half way, that should do it.

:thumbsup:

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    Pulling the bullets does not stretch the case neck, so if this were a straight wall pistol cartridge, the answer would be bell it and charge it (with the Lee pistol rounds this is the same operation).
    Because the Lee FCD die is a collet type for .223 that squeezes in the neck, it will deform the case mouth so that a neck sizing is probably the way to go,as jimbobborg recommends.
    DocAitch

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    While this in an interesting debate , the OP cn keep in mind we are discussing 5 (five) pieces of .223 .

In a small fraction of the time we are discussing this , just resize all five pieces , or declare that .223 is so cheap, and toss .

Still a good discussion though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom