• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PMKMD

Jul 13, 2010
    Hi,

I have been looking to buy an AR15/M4 for a while now and I was talking to various stores and I heard different things which I would like to bounce off this forum.

I have been looking at the Daniel Defense M4 and was planning to get it soon. Recently someone showed me a Colt SP model claiming that the internals of the Colt were better than the Daniel Defense. Is that true?

Just going by looks and functionality I still like the Daniel better. I like the fact that the Daniels has full rails already and the price difference was $250.

I don't mean to start some brand war but would like to hear you opinions

thx

Peter

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Not gonna lie, you just started a pissing match. Colt fanboys will swear nothing beats a Colt. And DD guys will say theirs' are better. I say both are good, but don't limit yourself. Other brands worth noting include Spike's Tactical, Bravo Company, S&W, and CMMG. Then there's brands like DPMS, Stag, Palmetto State, and Bushmaster, which some love and others hate.

I'd say start with a basic carbine, and customize to your liking, or build from components. Any name brand will be reliable enough for starters, and you can upgrade as you go. Personally I built mine from a Spikes lower and a CMMG upper, with a PSA parts kit, and magpul goodies all around.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    First, have you shot an AR before? If not try and find someone who will let you pop a few rounds off with theirs and see if you really want to make the investment. Colts and DD aren't cheap and theres no point in buying something cheaper to find out it's not what you thought it would be like.

If you have shot an AR, you're comfortable spending the bucks and DD is what floats your boat, go for it. Don't let someone talk you into buying what they like. I don't have a DD, but they have a great reputation and are supposed to stand behind their product.

There are several IP's on here that would be happy to sell you one. If you're in the Elkridge area, give Mark at 2A a call.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    theyre all good, but dont fall for the DD claims. that rail is no different than a good yhm, knights, troy, etc. ive shot a bunch of DD rifles. they are definately nice, but the same as BCM, bushmaster, colt, s&w, etc. i wouldnt pay the extra money for them, they are the hot AR right now. youd do just fine with any of them. but DD seems to be charging money for popularity. Colt you pay for the pony. i do have one colt, its great, but really not any different from my other ARs except that i paid extra for a dancing horse on the reciever, and its an HBAR.

PMKMD

Jul 13, 2010
    thanks everyone for the replies, another thing I noticed with the DD is how light it was. I have shot a Colt before but no other brands.

I will continue to look and figure it out.

Peter

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I feel the fit and finish on the DD is a little better than the Colt. Colt currently has the M4 contract and owns the rights to the design package, I don't believe Gold Standard is the right term but they are definitely the standard from which you can move up or down.

On an AR, like the 1911a1, after about $1500 additional money spent yields diminishing returns... Colt, BCM, LaRue, Spikes... They're all good.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    IMHO, it's more of a matter of which brands to avoid than what brands are good, at this point. There's so much outsourcing of parts going on that it's really rather hard to know what you're getting, even from some of the traditional big names.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I would pick the DDM4 over the Colt, since it comes with a rail. The DD uppers are sweet, I really like their lightweight barrel and am considering one for a future build.

I have seen DD LRPKs with and without notched hammers, and most (if not all) of the rifles I saw from them also had a notched hammer. They may have changed this, maybe not. Many people believe the notched hammer causes extra wear on the bolt carrier. I personally would switch it out to a rounded hammer (which is nothing more than an M16 hammer with the tab essentially ground off). Now Colt also has the notched hammer, PLUS they mill their receivers so they will not accept a drop-in auto sear...

But really it is a toss up. Colt is the gold standard, and DD makes their stuff to the same specs as far as I know. I like their rails, and considering the cost of installing one later, it's much better to buy a complete rifle off the bat. Either way you will have a quality rifle.

Ooops

Former Navy Bubblehead
    Nov 11, 2010
    Red Lion, PA
    Most of the higher end companies outsource the production of their LRPK's to CMT. It's really about whose marketing scheme you find the most convincing.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Most of the higher end companies outsource the production of their LRPK's to CMT. It's really about whose marketing scheme you find the most convincing.

The parent company of Stag. They were a great deal, about 30 months ago, now their prices have come up.

I'd put Stag over S&W since they built the M&P 15 line for S&W while S&W was still getting setup to produce them in-house themselves. ;)

Pick a roll-mark and go with it, DD and Colt are both fine choices, it's all 'What do you want to pay?' at this point.

Ppat

Jun 2, 2012
    I know someone will bash me for saying this, but my first ar purchase was an m&p 15 sport... $670. Lacks a forward assist and dust cover but for my shooting needs i doubt i will miss them. Shoots great and is an awesome starter AR. I do plan on building my own AR within the next year... But if money is a problem the sport is a solid option

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I know someone will bash me for saying this, but my first ar purchase was an m&p 15 sport... $670. Lacks a forward assist and dust cover but for my shooting needs i doubt i will miss them. Shoots great and is an awesome starter AR. I do plan on building my own AR within the next year... But if money is a problem the sport is a solid option

The M&P Sport is a good rifle but has different features and materials from the other ARs. A fixed trigger guard is a minor thing but a turn-off for some people. I have actually seen 2 M&Ps with FCGs that malfunctioned, and had to be replaced with other parts.

As Ooops said, most of the parts used for the FCG/LRPK are made by only a few companies. You'll see the same stampings on a Spikes Tactical/Palmetto State/Colt parts kit, but they cost $80/$60/$200 respectively, because of where you buy them.

Caveat Emptor, as always. When in doubt, consult "The Chart" lol. ;)

ViperRy

May 26, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    I can say that my favorite rifle is the one I built with a DD upper, DD LW midlength barrel, and DD lite quad rail.

There are a range of other excellent options as others have suggested. Most sell parts if you want to build your own, all sell complete rifles:

Noveske
    BCM
    Spikes
    LWRC
    ADCOR
    Colt

PMKMD

Jul 13, 2010
    I can say that my favorite rifle is the one I built with a DD upper, DD LW midlength barrel, and DD lite quad rail.

There are a range of other excellent options as others have suggested. Most sell parts if you want to build your own, all sell complete rifles:

Noveske
    BCM
    Spikes
    LWRC
    ADCOR
    Colt

I am currently thinking a DD v5, just have to save a little bit longer

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You made a good choice. I can't even remember the last time I bothered with the FA or the dust cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom