• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    The kids had their intro for their school clay shooting team. My son is a lefty, but Right eye dominant. The coach wants him to shoot Right handed. He isn't happy about it at all. I understand the theory, but is it that important? Should I just get him to practice handling the shotgun Right handed?

Shoot right handed, both eyes open! The dominant eye leads the shotgun pointing (you don't aim shotguns except for HD)

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    The kids had their intro for their school clay shooting team. My son is a lefty, but Right eye dominant. The coach wants him to shoot Right handed. He isn't happy about it at all. I understand the theory, but is it that important? Should I just get him to practice handling the shotgun Right handed?

YES! It is that important. He can teach his hands to do anything.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    I'm an instructor and can tell you that most people who are cross dominant will be better off shooting on their eye dominant side. There are exceptions and it will take some getting used to, but he'll probably be better off in the end, especially with shotguns.

If he just can't stand shooting right handed, it's not terribly hard to force his left eye to be dominant. Anything obscuring his right eye will do it. Anything from a small piece of transparent tape right in front of his right eye on his glasses to a full flip-down cover will work.

If he can shoot with both eyes open, that will be best in the long run. There is also a fiber optic sight called the "EasyHit" that only allows the eye that the shotgun is mounted on to see the sight, not allowing the other eye to see it and create a false picture.
    This.......and I'm also a NRA Shotgun and NSCA Level I Instructor.

First, try to shoot with dominant eye side.

Second, if he absolutely can't do #1, clear tape over the dominant eye.

Third, close the dominant eye. This option is not the best because you lose depth perception.

He's young enough that #1 should be the best option.

FYI - we were made to shoot off-handed during our in NSCA instructors class so we could teach people who shot with the other hand.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    This.......and I'm also a NRA Shotgun and NSCA Level I Instructor. First, try to shoot with dominant eye side. Second, if he absolutely can't do #1, clear tape over the dominant eye. Third, close the dominant eye. This option is not the best because you lose depth perception. He's young enough that #1 should be the best option. FYI - we were made to shoot off-handed during our in NSCA instructors class so we could teach people who shot with the other hand. Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Thanks! Appreciate the advice.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV

Also as an instructor, it is easier to teach right handed shooting at an early age. You can become a good shooter shooting with the weaker eye but not a great shooter.

Left handed people learn very well to play a guitar without turning the strings upside down quite well.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Have him shoot long guns righty and handguns lefty.

I am a lefty, right-eye dominant, and have monovision via LASIK.

I 2-eye shoot handguns and wink long guns.

This will also make him better at shooting a handgun with either hand.

Side note: Monovision does mess with your depth perception, but after a while that effect goes away. I play first base on a softball team and had issues after the LASIK. 2 weeks later I was fine, and that was 3 or 4 years ago.

epps1919

Aug 9, 2010
    SO.MD
    I'm right handed and left eye dom. I just close my left eye when I shoot. works great for 51 yrs. and I shoot in several different competition N-SSA, Round ball, Highpower, GSSA and sporting clays :party29:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Right hand, left eye. Just for wild card right eye 5 points better vision.

Handgun ambidextrous ( at least until injury to left hand).

Rifle & shotgun right handed. Yeah, yeah, but I throughly learned right shouldered at tender age before considering to try left shoulder. At this point I'm not going to take on un-training and retraining unless some injury to right hand/ arm/ shoulder forces me.

As to the field and depth of vision thing, over the decades I can scan, aquire, get basiclly on target, and unconsciously close left eye for final sighting confirmation. Sounds convoluted, works for me, seems normal "to me" .

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    We were just analyzing how he holds the shotgun lefty. He tilts his head in an awkward manner to try to align his right eye with the barrel. It looks like he's gonna need to shoot righty.

He's going to be shooting my Browning Broadway, so no issue with ejection.

I'm a lefty but am right eye dominant. I didn't realize until I was in training for the base security force I was attached to. I had a Marine Gunny teaching me and I started out wearing a patch on my right eye while shooting. After a while I used a piece of scotch tape on my shooting glasses and after awhile of that, I didn't need anything.

Now, this was for a pistol, I don't know if it would be any different for a shotgun.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Common issue. Probably about 15% of people are cross dominant. I am not currently a shotgun instructor but once did shoot clays a lot (back in the 80s - early 90s), and also once held a Shotgun Shooting Cert while currently hold certs in Riflery and as a Hunter's Safety Instructor (I needed the certs In Shotgun and Riflery to teach Boy Scouts and sign off on merit badges). Prevailing wisdom, borne out I believe by some personal experience, is that shooting with the dominant eye is the way to go PARTICULARLY FOR SHOTGUN. While it is possible to achieve a semblance of proficiency by using various techniques (close an eye....or block it tape or something on glasses), the fact of the matter is the shooter will unlikely ever approach the proficiency they would by shooting on the side with the dominant eye. Keep in mind much shotgun shooting is on moving targets, either on the wing or at clays. This is best done with both eyes open for several reasons. Among them are the difficulty keeping a good clear focus with your sight....much easier done with the dominant eye and if you are shooting from the non dominant eye you line of sight will be skewed towards the dominant eye rather than looking down the barrel. Also depth perception is greatly enhanced with both eyes open allowing for consideration of the targets distance when swinging on it. Further, using both eyes gives you maximum peripheral vision to track the target, especially if you use a 'swing through' technique'. Even should you use sustained lead to track the target, the wider peripheral field is an advantage (and depth perception to mentally estimate your distance to determine how much sustained lead is very helpful with that technique). I personally know people who are cross dominant who shoot with their 'handedness' rather than their dominant eye on handguns with good proficiency and for rifle, you are looking down a line with fixed sights or a scope which forces you (if cross dominant) to close the dominant eye (or otherwise block the vision on that side) in order to get a sight picture (which, again, might be difficult for some to keep a good clear focus using the non-dominant eye....but not impossible. Some learn to cope decently). But shotgun sports, other than slow moving small game which you basically point directly at, require that swing and that is what is enhanced by using both eyes. I have little doubt that it would be awkward at first for a youngster. A new....and especially young...shooter will adapt better than someone who has already been doing a lot of shooting and down the road can achieve better results. One more thing to think about: If you have to be cross dominant, it is probably better for a lefty who is right eyed than a righty who is left eyed. Why? Because of firearms availability. Left handed models are more expensive to buy new (usually) and suffer in the resale market should you decide to use something else. Also, I suspect if your youngster takes up clays right handed to match his dominant eye, he will likely gravitate toward shooting rifles righthanded as well. While I believe he could be more likely to adapt rifle shooting than shotgun shooting using cross dominance, he should find sight pictures more clear and focused shooting with his dominant eye even shooting rifles. The following link gives suggestion if your shooter insists on shooting with his handedness (as well as reiterates some of what I just wrote): https://shotgunreport.com/2013/11/29/cross-dominance-2/

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Also as an instructor, it is easier to teach right handed shooting at an early age. You can become a good shooter shooting with the weaker eye but not a great shooter.

Left handed people learn very well to play a guitar without turning the strings upside down quite well.

Regarding the highlighted...totally agree! :thumbsup:

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD

Third, close the dominant eye. This option is not the best because you lose depth perception.

FYI - we were made to shoot off-handed during our in NSCA instructors class so we could teach people who shot with the other hand.

Hey Mack...overlooked your response while scrolling on my smart phone (darn smart phones!). :thumbsup::party29:

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    I'm a lefty but am right eye dominant. I didn't realize until I was in training for the base security force I was attached to. I had a Marine Gunny teaching me and I started out wearing a patch on my right eye while shooting. After a while I used a piece of scotch tape on my shooting glasses and after awhile of that, I didn't need anything.

Now, this was for a pistol, I don't know if it would be any different for a shotgun.

Like Teratos' son and Inkd, I'm left-handed but right eye dominant. The difference for me is that my right eye is usually dominant, but it's more a case of mixed dominance. With both eyes open, periodically my left eye tries to take over and I end up seeing the left side of the barrel. To deal with that problem, I use a small spiece of translucent tape on my shooting glasses over the center of my left eye. That keeps my right eye in a dominant position.

DanJo

Mar 4, 2010
    Western Howard County

FYI - we were made to shoot off-handed during our in NSCA instructors class so we could teach people who shot with the other hand

I'm also an instructor for BSA and 4-H. The above is the correct process. Getting eye dominance sorted out is especially important for shotgun. In pistol and rifle you have a rear site, so the gun will force your eye alignment, but in shotgun there is no rear site, so your eye effectively becomes your rear site.

I have had a lot of kids and sometimes their parents not want to switch to their dominant eye. After asking them to try it for three rounds of trap they usually are shooting better rounds after only three rounds and they become a believer. As mentioned, it's a lot easier to train your hands to switch than your eyes.

You can use the other methods to compensate as written above, only switching to shooting with your dominant eye will allow you to shoot shotgun with both eyes open which greatly helps picking up the clays quickly.

Give it a try and the improved scores will make you a believer.

Kimber45

Jan 14, 2011
    Whiteford
    We were just analyzing how he holds the shotgun lefty. He tilts his head in an awkward manner to try to align his right eye with the barrel. It looks like he's gonna need to shoot righty.

He's going to be shooting my Browning Broadway, so no issue with ejection.

I did the exact same thing when I was a kid, switched to righty and shoot much better and more comfortably. It didn't take long to get used to shouldering a rifle or shotgun on my right side. Still shoot handguns with my left hand as my strong hand. Can shoot right handed pretty good too.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    As to learning to shoot with your non dominant hand. I sucked when I first started left handed in class, but in a day and a half I was breaking high teens/low twenties and that was with my dominant eye blocked with tape. I'm right handed as h3ll, but I can still shoot a shotgun fairly well left-handed. In the long run he will be better served starting off shooting with his dominant eye.

PS.....I can also write fairly well left-handed after cutting my thumb and having my right hand in a cast for eight weeks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom