Question Regarding AR Pistol (MD Specific)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GMCometh

Jan 20, 2010
    Fallston
    In lieu or registering my AR pistol with the ATF, I am considering throwing on a 16" barrel and swapping the brace for a stock. I have several uppers, however, not a single one falls under the HBAR classification as they all belong to pre-2013 lowers.

If I were to go this route, do I need to purchase an HBAR upper/barrel or is there some sort of exception to this rule because I'm simply converting from a pistol?

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    In lieu or registering my AR pistol with the ATF, I am considering throwing on a 16" barrel and swapping the brace for a stock. I have several uppers, however, not a single one falls under the HBAR classification as they all belong to pre-2013 lowers.

If I were to go this route, do I need to purchase an HBAR upper/barrel or is there some sort of exception to this rule because I'm simply converting from a pistol?
    If the pistol lower was purchased after the ban, it would have to be a heavy barrel, only if that barrel is chambered in .223/.223 Wylde/5.56. All other calibers are good to go as are.

GMCometh

Jan 20, 2010
    Fallston
    If the pistol lower was purchased after the ban, it would have to be a heavy barrel, only if that barrel is chambered in .223/.223 Wylde/5.56. All other calibers are good to go as are.

Thanks for letting me know. Figured as much, but wanted to confirm.

Twist

Feb 17, 2023
    Annapolis

The folks at my LGS mentioned to me that .223 Wylde is not included in the Maryland ban. Makes no sense but then nothing about the ban list makes much sense to me.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    The folks at my LGS mentioned to me that .223 Wylde is not included in the Maryland ban. Makes no sense but then nothing about the ban list makes much sense to me.
    Maybe not by true name, but it being a .223 caliber, it is covered by the ban(.223 Wylde is a chambering, not a cartridge). The only difference in the Wylde is, the lead is longer than the .223, yet shorter than the 5.56, so it functions well in either of the other two chamberings.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

That would be a big stretch of interpretation . Particularly as much as .223 Wylde doesn't exist as a caliber of * ammunition * , and the Wylde Chamber. Is designed to work equally well with .223 and 5.56 .

A totally different ctg , like .223 WSSM ? Maybe ? Still an average size stretch . and it has never been addressed .

Twist

Feb 17, 2023
    Annapolis
    That would be a big stretch of interpretation . Particularly as much as .223 Wylde doesn't exist as a caliber of * ammunition * , and the Wylde Chamber. Is designed to work equally well with .223 and 5.56 .

A totally different ctg , like .223 WSSM ? Maybe ? Still an average size stretch . and it has never been addressed .

I don't disagree and sometimes the guys at a LGS counter aren't the best source of information. As I said, none of it makes any sense to me. For example, the prevailing thought seems to be an AR-15 with an HBAR barrel is legal but that's not exactly what the code says. It says a Colt AR-15 Sporter II w/HBAR is exempted specifically. That would lead me to believe that is the only AR-15 that is legal in Maryland while apparently any AR-10 is legal. I think it's futile to try to create any reason behind the firearms ban items listed in the code and I know this: I see a lot of AR style rifles at the range.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    I don't disagree and sometimes the guys at a LGS counter aren't the best source of information. As I said, none of it makes any sense to me. For example, the prevailing thought seems to be an AR-15 with an HBAR barrel is legal but that's not exactly what the code says. It says a Colt AR-15 Sporter II w/HBAR is exempted specifically. That would lead me to believe that is the only AR-15 that is legal in Maryland while apparently any AR-10 is legal. I think it's futile to try to create any reason behind the firearms ban items listed in the code and I know this: I see a lot of AR style rifles at the range.
    You have statute, and then you have statute interpretation by the enforcing authorities. IANAL

IMHO, the MSP punted on this one because it would have been physically impossible to enforce. But I could be wrong.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The actual Sporter HBAR wasn't hugely popular , and shortly after was discontinued .

As LD was rolling wholesale giving advisories that every regular AR was considered to be " same thing " as Colt AR-15 . the hypocrisy got too deep to not give equivalence of other brands of HBAR being equivalent to the Colt .

sickpuppyz

your mom sends me care packages
    Jun 14, 2020
    MoCo
    once you put a 16" barrel you don't have to remove the pistol brace since it is now a stock just like any other. That's my route simply because if this eventually gets overturned I am sure ATF will not allow us to pass the rule that says you cannot convert a rifle into a pistol. Once you have converted to an SBR then you won't be able to go back. So I will just add a 16" barrel and call it a day...for now

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom