• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bkraft

Jul 24, 2008
    Eldersburg
    I should probably ask this in the MD 2A section, but since it directly concerns C&R, I'm asking here...

The laptop I'm using currently will not open a .PDF document and I'm sick of trying to fix it, so I'd appreciate anyone pasting the appropriate paragraph from SB281 here so I can read it for myself, but the question is this:

I am currently looking at purchasing a C&R handgun which has a removable mag whose capacity is larger than 10rnds.

Now, I own property in VA. I asked the seller if he would be willing to ship the firearm to me and ship the mag seperatly to my VA address where I could pick it up later and then, posessing it, legally bring it home.

The seller said he had no problem with that, but e also offered to completely disassemble the mag and ship it to me in one box with the firearm as a mag parts kit.

Under the new laws, is this also a legal option? It would be more convenient.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    As long as you take position outside of the maryland border you are good to go.

Parts kits has always been a questionable avenue.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Mag "rebuild kits" are legal are they not? I have not done this personally but there is a thread awhile back of people buying "rebuild kits" I dont see how this would be classified as anyhting different?

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=127099&highlight=mag+rebuild+kit

People have purchased mag rebuild kits and had them sent to MD. Is this legal? Maybe, maybe not. I am of the opinion it is closer to the "maybe not" side of things. CA law had a specific provision for rebuild kits, MD does not. I would never advise someone to have kits shipped here when there are concretely legal avenues to get them.

MedInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 24, 2010
    Columbia, MD
    I think it has to pass the litmus test, just like the weapon. The lower receiver makes up the weapon system ... a magazine parts kit unassembled is not a magazine.

I just don't understand what the problem is with the gov't on this level. I can go to VA, DE, PA and pick up a magazine that is banned in MD - but a parts kit is still a problem?

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    Isn't there a catch with parts kits law in CA? Something like you can receive them and possess them, but you can't assemble them in CA. Now of course you can drive over the state line, assemble then and bring them back (which I'm sure is what folks do :) ) but putting them together in state is a no no. Seems to me that is how it is written... I'm sure someone in the know will correct me if I'm wrong. Bottem line is if you want to stay safe, receive it out of state.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    Here's the question I had about the mag limit: if I buy a CZ 82 from widener's, would I have to ask them to ship the gun but not the magazines? The gun comes with two 12 round mags which are no longer allowed in MD, right?

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=100000116

Well you could but most vendors don't like to be bothered with modifying orders so they might say no to the whole gun for you. However I read a thread on here that widener's might not have a problem shipping mags to an out of state address if you have one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scooby225

Latest threads

Top Bottom