• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Yeah - I am going to tell my wife how much money we saved not getting the MIL SPEC version. :innocent0

I get away with it because my wife is also a shooter. We sometimes have marital issues when, for instance, she wants to buy a new handgun or rifle and I say want to go out to a fancy dinner or buy a new outfit. :rolleyes:

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I have the Aimpoint PRO on my 6920, and with the Magpul OEM rear sight up, I have a great co-witness with sights/red dot.
    The red dot sits directly on top of the Colt front sight.

Fast.

This red dot/mount went on the rail, straight out of the box.

Who cares if the battery only lasts 3 years, when left on 24/7?????
    Turn the red dot off when you're not using it, and the batteries will last longer!!!

The only problem I have..... I need to order/buy at least 2 more Aimpoint Pro(s)!!!!:innocent0

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Glad to read about the differences. I have the Comp M4 and the T1 and wondered if I was being foolish for paying extra.

I can see using the pro if I was sure it wouldn't get punished.

How is the pro with recoil as compared to the M4 & T1?

Seriously? You would use the PRO if it wouldn't get punished?

For everyone's information, the PRO was built and designed for Law Enforcement use. It can withstand the same punishment other Aimpoints can and it can also be submerged in water to the same depth as other Aimpoints (150ft).

Here is a video demonstrating some of the punishment Aimpoints can take. I believe the first sight and the last sight are PRO models.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_419JH5hD9c

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    The H and T series are more money and even don't have a mount. Also a micro; smaller objective, smaller view?? Might be great for a handgun. Same reservation I have about the SPARC.

Same concerns/dislikes here. I own and have used micros. Don't like them much. View is very restrictive. Too restrictive to even bother worrying about lower one-third view for my tastes. Head alignment is critical enough that I'd rather just use tritium irons. Besides the cheap stuff, even the T-1/H-1 have issues with goofy LED circuit reflections in certain lighting due to location of the circuitry inside the tube, which the 30mm Aimpoints do not suffer from. The T-1/H-1 single big advantage is low weight. Other than that, the PRO is the way to go for hundreds less.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    I have a comp M2 that still is running on the original battery (2004). I 've handled the pro, but haven't shot with one and I couldn't tell that much difference between the two except for the mount. Since I'm running mine on an ARMS mount, the looks of the mount are also similar. I would have no hesitation about getting an Aimpoint pro for my range needs. If I need to scuba dive with my AR I'd get the .mil version, but most folks won't ever need that feature.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Non magnified optics don't have a field of view and should be evaluated on their degree of obstruction of the sight picture. The micros have a smaller housing and should ghost out easier than the full size AimPoints. Even if only using one eye, the angle of view through the micro versus the full size is only a few degrees more restrictive (length to width), this shouldn't be an issue unless you have a really erratic cheek weld.

Of the red dots I own I would rank them in this order of ghosting:

EOtech Sps
    Aimpoint Micro
    Aimpoint Comp M3
    Trijicon SRS

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Non magnified optics don't have a field of view and should be evaluated on their degree of obstruction of the sight picture. The micros have a smaller housing and should ghost out easier than the full size AimPoints. The angle of view through the micro versus the full size is only a few degrees more restrictive (length to width), this shouldn't be an issue unless you have a really erratic cheek weld.

Of the red dots I own I would rank them in this order of ghosting:

EOtech Sps
    Aimpoint Micro
    Aimpoint Comp M3
    Trijicon SRS

It's because they are most likely untrained. RDOs are meant to be shot with both eyes open, as are ACOGs. Most of the field of view comments come from guys shooting them with one eye closed. You can do it, but it defeats the purpose.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    I mean no harm (really) but OP, needs to do better research! How could you not know it comes with a mount?

Brownells: "Integrated “rail-grabber” mount with knurled, oversized knob aids in quick attach/detach on Picatinny rails"

SKD Tactical: "QRP2 rail grabber mount. Snap knob three times for a perfect mount. Will not deform your rail like many other mounts."

BCM: "The modular QRP2 mount includes a removable spacer that indexes the sight at the optimal height for co-witness with the standard iron sights on AR15/M16/M4 Carbine style weapons."

Midway USA: "The modular QRP2 mount securely attaches to standard picatinny rails and includes a removable spacer that provides optimal height for co-witness with iron sights on carbine style weapons."

not to mention a ton of youtube videos on this..

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I mean no harm (really) but OP, needs to do better research! How could you not know it comes with a mount?

Brownells: "Integrated “rail-grabber” mount with knurled, oversized knob aids in quick attach/detach on Picatinny rails"

SKD Tactical: "QRP2 rail grabber mount. Snap knob three times for a perfect mount. Will not deform your rail like many other mounts."

BCM: "The modular QRP2 mount includes a removable spacer that indexes the sight at the optimal height for co-witness with the standard iron sights on AR15/M16/M4 Carbine style weapons."

Midway USA: "The modular QRP2 mount securely attaches to standard picatinny rails and includes a removable spacer that provides optimal height for co-witness with iron sights on carbine style weapons."

not to mention a ton of youtube videos on this..

This thread is part of my research process. :) Honestly, I think the input from a forum like this is better than YouTube since a lot of YouTube sources have their own spin, and in some rare cases, are just flat wrong. Even vender writeups can be wrong (rarely thought I admit). If I am throwing down $400 or so, would rather ask the stupid question than make a stupid choice.

[EDIT: But I still do watch the YouTube videos; don't get me wrong.]

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Most of the field of view comments come from guys shooting them with one eye closed. You can do it, but it defeats the purpose.

Precisely. First time I shot a RDS was with that PA clone of the micro and I definitely did it wrong including small FOV comments. Went home, did research, got out and shot a few different RDS properly and decided FOV definitely wasn't a problem with the micro sized tubes.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Most of the field of view comments come from guys shooting them with one eye closed. You can do it, but it defeats the purpose.

Obstructed views through micro red dots still stink, both eyes open or not. Having to switch to irons in a real life situation is near useless with most micros unless lighting is optimal. Then there's still the criticality of head positioning unless a micro is way forward on a floating rail, most of the way to the front sight. 30mm tubes fix pretty much all of that, at the expense of weight, weight that is shifted back towards the hands making it much more tolerable than out towards the muzzle. In the bigger scheme, there's a huge difference between looking through a tiny tube at the range with no pressure and making do versus having it work well under stress, possibly extreme stress. The heavy blue-green tint on the cheap micros makes matters that much worse unless you're in broad daylight. There is no one-size-fits-all answer, mostly certainly not in regards to red dot sights (or ACOGs).

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    I have the Aimpoint PRO on my 6920, and with the Magpul OEM rear sight up, I have a great co-witness with sights/red dot.
    The red dot sits directly on top of the Colt front sight.

Fast.

This red dot/mount went on the rail, straight out of the box.

Who cares if the battery only lasts 3 years, when left on 24/7?????
    Turn the red dot off when you're not using it, and the batteries will last longer!!!

The only problem I have..... I need to order/buy at least 2 more Aimpoint Pro(s)!!!!:innocent0
    Exactly my circumstance. I love mine.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    You guys scare me sometimes. I come up with a budget choice (Lucid HD7) and a "high-end" choice (Aimpoint PRO), only to find out my high-end choice is someone else's budget choice. No I don't feel so extravagant.

Here's a mod's note for you. I don't know a lot of our members in person. I have never met kevp in person. I do however know people that DO know kevp in person. His background and experience is such that when he speaks of tactical gear, I tend to pay close attention.

thai

May 8, 2013
    Another advantage for the Comp M4 is the ability to use a single AA battery which would last 80, 000 hours. This is a tremendous tactical benefit in a of itself. I personally will opt for the M4, with all the benefits I deem it justifies the %80 price increase.

I have a Comp XD from 1999, with original batteries that is still going strong. I used it for years on my Super Black Eagle II for waterfowling every year.

The issues I have with Eotechs is its propensity to eat batteries. I will place all models of Aimpoints above those of Eotechs just for this reason.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    You guys scare me sometimes. I come up with a budget choice (Lucid HD7) and a "high-end" choice (Aimpoint PRO), only to find out my high-end choice is someone else's budget choice. Now I don't feel so extravagant.

:lol2:
    I was thinking the same thing. Sometimes I look at the Pro and think man I spent a lot of money on that thing and then I get on here and feel like its a Taurus or something.

So I shouldn't mention I like my ACOG better than my PRO? :innocent0

ColonelHurtz

A pile of little arms.
    Nov 13, 2008
    It's a quality dot at a great affordable price point.
    The Pro is about the minimum I would run on a fighting rifle.

Comes with a mount, NV compatible, good battery life and on a standard FSB set-up
    you'll have absolute co-witness. Cannot beat all that for $360 bucks.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    This thread is part of my research process. :) Honestly, I think the input from a forum like this is better than YouTube since a lot of YouTube sources have their own spin, and in some rare cases, are just flat wrong. Even vender writeups can be wrong (rarely thought I admit). If I am throwing down $400 or so, would rather ask the stupid question than make a stupid choice.

[EDIT: But I still do watch the YouTube videos; don't get me wrong.]

This is true! Hope you pull the trigger on this red dot it really is a good deal, and this is coming from an EoTech guy!

Publius

Mar 18, 2013
    Ellicott City
    A few thoughts to OP:
    - Don't throw away the PRO box when you get it. I thought it was a no-brainer when I got one, but ended returning it after a range visit. Fortunately it was still in mint condition, even under the base (no s, after the visit. I was obviously glad that I got a full refund. For me at least, I just did not adapt to the light. It was either too bright or too faint for me. Perhaps the CompM4, with 9 daylight settings instead of the 6 in the PRO, could solve that. But I wasn't willing to pay $700 to find out. That was my short-lived experience with red-dots. In its place I put a RRA standalone rear sight with a DPMS .046" aperture (the short range aperture is standard). Rock-solid, cheap, and battery-free.
    - Like I said, I did not buy the CompM4, but there are a couple of things in it visibly stronger than in the PRO. One is the body metal surrounding the adjustment caps to protect them from bumps. The other is that the base runs along the entire bottom of the red-dot body. Obviously that is a nice feature for the military in case you drop your rifle red-dot down. Now, whether these features are worth the extra $300, that's up to each one's pocket.
    - The battery lives of the PRO and CompM4 are so long that my main concern would be leaving the battery unattended for so many years in either one. In the end it might be prudent to write somewhere when the last battery change happened, in order to replace it every couple of years. The PRO uses a lithium battery, so I think that is less of a concern. The CompM4 uses AA batteries, which allegedly lasts for 8 years. In no way, shape or form I would leave an AA battery unattended for 8 years, not even 4 years. You could have a very nasty surprise next time you opened the battery compartment. I would make a rule of thumb to replace the battery every even year (2016, 2018 etc).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom