• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RT468

Feb 19, 2009
    Catonsville Md
    Recently asked advice in regards to a hunting rifle for a lefty.Dawned on me that I don't know anybody who shoots with left as dominant side.Can't say that I've ever even seen a rifle set up that way.I know they are made just have never noticed one.Would have to assume that say a Remington 7600 probably not the best choice?Any advice or preferences in the.270-30.06 caliber range for a lefty?Basically looking for a reasonably priced hunting rifle for a left handed shooter.The ability to mount a scope solid without too much fuss would be a bonus. I don't own any hunting rifles and favor the right with rifles and for some reason left with pistols.Basically I have no basis of knowledge and figured I'd ask. Open to all opinions and thoughts on the matter. Thanks.

Fustercluck

Aug 4, 2008
    Eastern Shore
    Getting a lefty bolt action gun is definitely worth it, especially for a hunting rifle, as it makes follow-up shots on wounded game possible without losing your cheek weld and visualization of the target. Caliber is based on intended game, and most manucaturers have LH options, including Remington.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I own three, a Browning 25WSSM, Savage 7mm WSM, and a winchester 300WSM, ( listed in the classifides) the first two are excellent shooters, the last never fired.
    The savage was the cheapest, pricewise, but is an excellent shooter. The remington 7600 would be a good choice because it can be shot easily from either side. I would have to say if you want to stay within a smaller budget, a Savage in 270 or 308 could be had for a reasonable price.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    savage makes excellent rifles and has a very wide selection of lh choices. accutrigger is nice and so is the new accustock. can't go wrong with a nice savage. for a shotgun a browning bps...pump gun smooth as silk that ejects out the bottom.
    http://www.savagearms.com/116flhss.htm
    just sold one of these recently...niiiiiiice rifle. 30-06 has many many many different loadings and ammunition sources. 125 gr low-recoil all the way up to 220 gr shoulder thumpers. can't go wrong with 30-06

Fideo

Aug 27, 2009
    NoVA
    I always just shoot right handed with a scoped rifle. But, I'm right handed. Being left eye dominant I learned to shoot lefty with irons. To be honest I would have difficulty working a bolt left handed.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Getting a lefty bolt action gun is definitely worth it, especially for a hunting rifle, as it makes follow-up shots on wounded game possible without losing your cheek weld and visualization of the target. Caliber is based on intended game, and most manucaturers have LH options, including Remington.

Savage has a lot of options. I go to school with a bunch of lefties, and they are more than happy with what Savage has to offer.

kwcraft

No witty username
    Apr 7, 2009
    NOT MARYLAND
    I got used to shooting right handed rifles. My father and brother were rh's, I was left. So it made more sense to buy a right handed rifle and make me "Deal with it". lol. You get used to following up after awhile.

I would see if I could shoot a lefty before I bought one, just to see if the benefit is worth the expense. I was looking at a remington 700 varmint in LH awhile back, but figured for what I want to do with it, it would be more cost effective to get the rh version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom