• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1Rosta

Jul 16, 2012
    I'm new to this and I have some questions I know will be answered here.:thumbsup:
    Do I need to have my form one with my firearm whenever I go to the range?
    If I need the form one, will a copy suffice or do I need the original.
    When I travel to another state to shoot, what do I need to do if anything.
    Thanks

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Just keep a copy with you when you go to the range. I keep laminated copies of all my stamps in the range bag. When you travel out of state with an MG, SBR, or SBS, you need to get a Form 5320.20 - Application to Transport Interstate approved by ATF. You don't need this approval for Silencers.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    rsideout said:
    Just keep a copy with you when you go to the range. I keep laminated copies of all my stamps in the range bag. When you travel out of state with an MG, SBR, or SBS, you need to get a Form 5320.20 - Application to Transport Interstate approved by ATF. You don't need this approval for Silencers.

I have always been curious as to why you don't need a form 5320.20 for a suppressor. Do you happen to know the rationale?

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I have always been curious as to why you don't need a form 5320.20 for a suppressor. Do you happen to know the rationale?

No I don't. And I'm very happy that it is not required for cans. If required, I would be in direct violation of the paperwork reduction act and Form 1 & 4 approval times would increase. :D

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I'm new to this and I have some questions I know will be answered here.:thumbsup:
    Do I need to have my form one with my firearm whenever I go to the range?
    If I need the form one, will a copy suffice or do I need the original.
    When I travel to another state to shoot, what do I need to do if anything.
    Thanks

There is NO LAW requiring you to bring any of your tax forms with you to the range. Law Enforcement is not allowed to require you to present your tax forms either. Tax forms are protected by law and can only be requested/inspected by the Secretary of Treasury or his/her delegates (e.g. IRS/ATF agents).

Now, general practice is to carry them with you, as you can avoid a lot of potential headache by having the appropriate paperwork with you. I would carry my Form 1/4's with me, but would be reluctant to show them to anyone without the proper authority to demand it.

That said, my Form 1's and Form 4's have never been demanded of me for any of my NFA toys.

Mark

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    When you travel out of state with an MG, SBR, or SBS, you need to get a Form 5320.20 - Application to Transport Interstate approved by ATF. You don't need this approval for Silencers.
    +1
    I would only add that if your traveling to another state with a suppressor that you check the state's laws to make sure suppressors are legal there. Since there's no Form 5320.20 requirement for them, its your responsibility to know if the state your traveling to allows them.

I know that you already know this rsideout. Just wanted to add it for those who are new to NFA.
    That said, my Form 1's and Form 4's have never been demanded of me for any of my NFA toys.
    I've also never been asked to show any of my forms. And the range I frequent is packed with LEO'S all the time. The only thing they do ask, is if they can try out my NFA toys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scooby225

Latest threads

Top Bottom