• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Even in the modern days of combat tourniquets I still think everyone should know how to improvise a tourniquet in the even that they don't have a real one, but a belt for a tourniquet is a joke.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Even in the modern days of combat tourniquets I still think everyone should know how to improvise a tourniquet in the even that they don't have a real one, but a belt for a tourniquet is a joke.
    My wife received stop the bleed training from a sassy former Trauma/ER nurse who said something about being tired of seeing bled out bodies come in with belts dangling around their arms/legs :sad20:

When I had it, I got to put a training tourniquet on my instructor. He seemed like he wanted to see how tight it would go. As I tightened it, I kept asking if the bleeding had stopped yet. "Nope" So, I kept twisting until, "Ok, ok! It's stopped now! Secure it quickly, and we're taking it off." (As a good student, I repeated what we had learned: "No, we don't ever take them off" :rasp:)

I am sure he had a bruise on his arm. :o I'm glad he let me do that to him, because it really opened my eyes to how tight "tight" really had to be. A belt? No way...not using the buckle at least. Maybe if you tied a nylon belt to itself and used some piece of metal like a wrench, big screw driver, or a piece of pipe as a windlass...maybe. I don't see regular wooden stick being strong enough...without being too big around. Maybe a drumstick.

I had always thought the little cambuckle straps I use (no hooks, they just make a loop that you can pull tight) might work...what with adrenaline pulling on it and everything...but I doubt it. Again, maybe using something to twist it. Even a ratchet strap (assuming you could make it short enough)...I dunno.

So what is a good way to improvise a tourniquet?

BigT

Large Member
    Dec 20, 2011
    Hagerstown area
    So what is a good way to improvise a tourniquet?

Why not just carry several with you?? - Put some (chances are if you need one - you'll need several...) in your EDC bag, backpack, cargo pocket, etc.. The quality NAR CAT and others of similar quality and reputation are pretty affordable..

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Yep, that's the way we were taught as well. Old school.

Works fine, just don't use anything too narrow.

Just like the two paramedics that were panicking when the traction splint manufacturer's tee-strap wouldn't hold on the 3 year old with a femur fracture. They were scratching their @$$es, when the FF/EMT went back to Boy Scout First Aid and pulled off an ankle hitch with a cravat to save their a$$.

I always loved the "how you do dat?" Training sessions that always ensued......

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    There was a time and day before mechanical TQs. We used to use BP cuffs. They worked. Not the best plan, but it beats having nothing. A muslin cravat is plenty strong enough (maybe not as strong as nylon) and a cleaning rod, I would argue is strong than the windlass on some mechanical TQs. I've been around long enough to see all sorts of ideas come and go, and new devices that make our job way easier. CPAP/BiPAP has almost done away with nasal intubations. I bet some people here remember MAST/PASG, EOAs, and EGTAs.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    There was a time and day before mechanical TQs. We used to use BP cuffs. They worked. Not the best plan, but it beats having nothing. A muslin cravat is plenty strong enough (maybe not as strong as nylon) and a cleaning rod, I would argue is strong than the windlass on some mechanical TQs. I've been around long enough to see all sorts of ideas come and go, and new devices that make our job way easier. CPAP/BiPAP has almost done away with nasal intubations. I bet some people here remember MAST/PASG, EOAs, and EGTAs.

Guilty......across the board!!!!

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    Umm, yes. I did it in Iraq in 2003 before we had CATs. A metal cleaning rod won’t break, and you fold the cravat about 2 inches wide. So explain to me how it wouldn’t work?

Ok, so before you had CATs, improvised TQs ruled the world. This was when medical training often dictated using a tourniquet would result in a lost limb. (I still argue with old school medics and corpsmen who refuse to believe in TQs.)

And you seem to understand what it takes to apply enough force to compress the artery and stop the loss of blood.

However, not knowing the keep the cravat wide and apply the pressure over a larger area, you are setting a person up for failure. And failure in this activity is to be avoided. Additionally, a cravat when applied 2 inches wide is not going to stay that way. The fabric tends to fold and roll onto itself, which as the TQ becomes narrower requires more and more pressure to maintain arterial occlusion pressure.

Plus how many of us have a Mil-Spec cleaning rod on our person?. I would venture to guess, that if you asked 10 gun owners to bring you a cleaning rod, most would bring an aluminum one.

It all boils down to the application of a TQ, either commercial or improvised, by a person who understands the how and why of a TQ works.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    The question posed was how to improvise a TQ. We all can agree a belt is no good because there is no mechanical advantage. Stop the bleed classes are the best thing to come down the pike for the layperson. Especially those who use firearms, who MAY find themselves facing an exsanguinating injury. The best option is a commercial TQ. The second best option is the knowledge (and proper materials) to improvise a TQ. Finally, any improvised TQ (bungee cord, ratchet strap, zip tie) is a terrible idea, but it may slow the bleeding until someone more competent shows up.

I hope that with all the talk and info out there about TQs, the number of people who think they are bad and result in limb loss are at a minimum. With my training and experience, I am certainly not the layman. I Am fortunate to have experience as an EMT, Paramedic, CLS, and even a paramedic instructor. The streets of PG have well prepared me for shootings and stabbings. I wish I could go back and thank the unnamed SF guy at Camp Arifjan who suggested staging improvised TQs (cravats and rods) in my CLS bag. Two guys did not bleed out because of it.

It’s our duty to pass on our knowledge and not talk down to those who aren’t as experienced as those who are lucky enough to be trained.

To everyone out there,Stop the bleed classes are the best thing going. Most jurisdictions provide them for free. Take the class, be prepared, and buy some CATs.

BigT

Large Member
    Dec 20, 2011
    Hagerstown area
    To everyone out there,Stop the bleed classes are the best thing going. Most jurisdictions provide them for free. Take the class, be prepared, and buy some CATs.

Stop the bleed is a great class! Everyone should find a class and attend it!

One year ago a tourniquet applied during surgery (so not any of the type being discussed) saved my life and salvaged my arm during a surgery that went sideways.. The tourniquet was in place for 93 minutes while they repaired an artery they damaged.. While I have carried tourniquets since they have been commercially available - that incident solidified it for me.. I always try to have multiple tourniquets with me..

I have never had to use one on some one else - but I've been told in many instances it will take more than one tourniquet to stop the bleeding...

Last edited:

systemmaster

MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2009
    Lost
    To add to the info stream and answer the original question, the expiration date is based upon the sterilization of the product. All medical items such as this are UV sterilized when sealed. Generally speaking that date is about five years from date of manufacture/sterilization.

As previously stated the contents should be good so long as the packaging is not compromised. Otherwise, they make great training items as you bring in new stock.

For the nerdy bunch who like research. Here's some info on hemostatcis

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4869418/

PJS

Heavy
    Feb 4, 2014
    Baltimore
    Stop the bleed is a great class! Everyone should find a class and attend it!

One year ago a tourniquet applied during surgery (so not any of the type being discussed) saved my life and salvaged my arm during a surgery that went sideways.. The tourniquet was in place for 93 minutes while they repaired an artery they damaged.. While I have carried tourniquets since they have been commercially available - that incident solidified it for me.. I always try to have multiple tourniquets with me..

I have never had to use one on some one else - but I've been told in many instances it will take more than one tourniquet to stop the bleeding...

There's no excuse for not taking a stop the bleed class. They are held at Sinai Hospital pretty regularly, take about an hour to hour and a half, and are free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom