R.I.P. William “Bill” Schoenadel, Little Orleans (Bill's Bar)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abuck

Ultimate Member
    R.I.P. William “Bill” Schoenadel, Little Orleans (Bill's Place)

Sad news. Bill, of Bill's Place/Orleans Grocery in Little Orleans MD has passed away. He was a local legend, and is well known to so many. If you rode the C+O Canal towpath, or were headed in to Green Ridge State Forest, a stop at Bill's for supplies, a beverage, the fishing report, or just a few stories, was always a must.

I always enjoyed spending time with Bill, and had been doing it since the 70's. I even was the very first person to get served at the new bar, after the old one burnt down. I had just walked in to the new place as the bar itself was just being studded out, and Bill got me a beer as we BS'd on the 2x4's.

R.I.P. Bill, you will be missed. Condolences to all his family and friends.

http://times-news.com/obituaries/x2056575795/WILLIAM-J-BILL-SCHOENADEL-Cumberland

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    I use to go in there with my parents when I was a kid. We'd camp at little orleans. Cant really remember him, since it was back in the early to mid 80's. I do remember the old store which had LOTS of dollar bills stuck to the wall from people who stopped in. I guess, the customer would write their name on it, and theyd hang it up. My buddy and his dad had ( might still have ) a camp up behind the store ( I believe ).

R.I.P. Bill

GRAY GHOST

The 43rd
    Jul 24, 2012
    C.S.A.
    RIP. he will be missed. My family owns the Bucktails sportsmans club. Mr.Bill was up at the camp last month. we had a long time member pass and he came up to pay respects. i was up at camp on sat. but we didnt stop in.wish i would had now.

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    That's terrible!! I loved that place! Will his son keep it running?

Yea, it's never going to be the same without Bill there. Of course the new place just isn't the same as the old place. Except for Bill, he was a character.

His son Jack has often mentioned that he planned to keep it going after Bill was gone. I for one sure hope so.

Grey Ghost, I don't think Jack plans on giving you your dollar bill back. :D

I really wish I could get down for the viewing or funeral, but it's too far with too little notice.

Glad to have known you Bill!

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Very sad to hear. I just talked to him and Jack during firearms season. He was not doing well, but did not seem much different than he had the last few times we had been in Bills.

Bill's Place is a big part of my past hunting memories and will continue to be for many years to come I hope. Having beers and a NY strip steak special in there on Friday night before opening day is like a tradition for me, my Dad, and Brother.

Condolences to Jack and the Schoenadel family.

Last edited:

WarVet762

Dec 14, 2011
    VA
    My wife and I were up there Saturday and learned of Bill's passing. I've been going there since I was about 13 when the old building was there. The first time my wife had seen mountains was when I took her to Green Ridge camping. Of course I had to show her Bill's Place, she loved it, and we've made it a tradition ever since. Not too many people around that have the memory and ability to tell a story the way he did. Rest in Peace Bill, and prayers are out for you and your family. Jack was there Saturday, and I offered my condolences. For those who care to read a little history on the area, and Bill's Place, check out this link:

http://www.mountaindiscoveries.com/images/fw2011/littleorleans.pdf

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Can't remember exactly what the sign said,but basically "You'll get your burger the way Bill makes it."Spent many a Saturday night/Sunday in there.

R.I.P

The sign said "This aint Burger King, you either get it my way or you don't get the Son of a Bitch at All !"

Got to love it, I really enjoyed knowing Bill for 20+ years and that part of Maryland will be a little less interesting now that he is gone. I'm sure he and the preacher that came by each Sunday for dinner are having a shot and a cigar as we speak. Thanks for the Memories Mr. Bill Schoenadel, be at peace!

powder in the air

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
    Jun 18, 2011
    smithsburg
    Just drove by there yesterday on the way to midland and said to my soon to be wife look babe remember stopping there

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

TOWcritter

Self Sufficent Sovereign
    Had to give this thread a bump. Jack is running the business now. Just as big as a character as his dad. My girlfriend and I were up there a month ago and just happened to mention we were looking for a place to put her trailer. Jack said come on...I have a place for you...5 minutes later and a handshake...deal was done. Jack is our new landlord. The spot is beautiful. The weekend of October 11th is a big hootinanny! Come on up. Bluegrass festival I think....and the fishing is perfect....

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Had to give this thread a bump. Jack is running the business now. Just as big as a character as his dad. My girlfriend and I were up there a month ago and just happened to mention we were looking for a place to put her trailer. Jack said come on...I have a place for you...5 minutes later and a handshake...deal was done. Jack is our new landlord. The spot is beautiful. The weekend of October 11th is a big hootinanny! Come on up. Bluegrass festival I think....and the fishing is perfect....

That's good to hear. Bill's has been one of my stops for many years and I'll be there in a few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mr88

Latest threads

Top Bottom