• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Yep, skate wings and not shark, unless shark is a new thing. I have known about the skate wings in lieu of scallops for a couple decades now. If they are doing it with shark meat now, that would be new.

Reminds me of the first birthday dinner my wife made me. Linguine and sauteed scallops in a white wine sauce with fresh parsley. I had also just done a 30,000 mile tuneup on her car that saved her $400. 16 years later and I think she has made that pasta for me twice, and all three times before kids entered the equation.

Is she Eye-Talian too? I try to avoid cooking Eye-Talian dishes for the Spaghetti Bender guys I'm courting.
    What are you doing for dinner tomorrow? My car needs some work:innocent0

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I never could get into Sushi. To me Sushi is what you put on the hook to catch something to eat

I had a piece of tuna at a Carabas once that was mistakenly a super top sushi cut. It was actually cooked correctly for the cut, but their tablewear wasn't sharp enough to make the pieces small enough to eat. I had to send it back not because it was undercooked to eat, only it was undercooked to cut with their butter knives. It was the best piece of fish I ever tasted.

The stuff you put on the hook to catch something else isn't sushi grade. If the "sushi" you get isn't so good you'd glady eat it raw, you are being ripped off.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    That means you’re not doing it right!

Also, try some nice venison carpaccio some time. Yum. My caveman DNA loves the occasional piece of raw critter (with the right fixin’s)

I had a piece of tuna at a Carabas once that was mistakenly a super top sushi cut. It was actually cooked correctly for the cut, but their tablewear wasn't sharp enough to make the pieces small enough to eat. I had to send it back not because it was undercooked to eat, only it was undercooked to cut with their butter knives. It was the best piece of fish I ever tasted.

The stuff you put on the hook to catch something else isn't sushi grade. If the "sushi" you get isn't so good you'd glady eat it raw, you are being ripped off.

Honestly, It's probably just a mental block with me. Maybe I'll give it a try again, someplace good

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Has anyone had bull nose ray? They are delicious. Only problem being they have a venom sack close to where the "sweet meat" is located in the wings, but if processed right they are excellent. A lot of people mistake a bull nose Ray for skate. Bull nose rays don't have dorsal fins.

Do the Cow Nose Rays have a venom sack? If so, where is it and what does it look like. I never saw one. The is meat is very red and looks like steak on these. I don't know how anyone could mistake this meat for scallop due to color and taste. Not a bad taste and fun to fight on light tackle. They fight more that a blue fish.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Yeah, his single-minded devotion to our common cause came at the expense of a lot of good people, initially willing to assist/join the PP, being told to go screw themselves. How many times during the last three years did we see members of this group named/shamed, had copies of their private e-mails and text messages posted to humiliate them, had bald-faced lies posted about them, called 'Fudds' 'Democrats' 'infringers' and 'Hillary supporters' simply because they weren't willing to prostrate themselves before the self-appointed Saint of 2A activism in MD with unquestioning devotion? How many, Bob? I lost count so pardon me if I don't mourn the banning of someone who, without a doubt, was the most toxic and disruptive influence members of MDS have probably ever witnessed...just because he wouldn't play nice with others and heed forum rules.

QFT.

Let's not forget how he would do that stuff on the forum, then in person act like nothing ever happened and expect you to play along with the charade.

I never had a issue with the PP, I had a issue with how the leader was so hostile towards people that said anything that went against the cult of personality.

Remember what I told you a long time ago. It was only a matter of time, before action was taken.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    QFT.

Let's not forget how he would do that stuff on the forum, then in person act like nothing ever happened and expect you to play along with the charade.

I never had a issue with the PP, I had a issue with how the leader was so hostile towards people that said anything that went against the cult of personality.

Remember what I told you a long time ago. It was only a matter of time, before action was taken.

Thanks, no, when you're right you're right. Just surprised it took as long as it did, that's all.

One of the many things that makes MDS different from all the other gun forums is that the mods give us a lot of freedom to express ourselves, good and bad. I appreciate that. Most of the time it's civilized but there's always going to be a few members who test the limits of that freedom and behave inappropriately to see if they can get away with it. It's a shame when it results in a permaban but, in this case, it was completely justified.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Thanks, no, when you're right you're right. Just surprised it took as long as it did, that's all.

One of the many things that makes MDS different from all the other gun forums is that the mods give us a lot of freedom to express ourselves, good and bad. I appreciate that. Most of the time it's civilized but there's always going to be a few members who test the limits of that freedom and behave inappropriately to see if they can get away with it. It's a shame when it results in a permaban but, in this case, it was completely justified.

What is also a shame is the people who caught friendly fire (early on), one of those in particular was simply stating exactly what ultimately got R&R banned. It was none-too appreciated that he pointed it out.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    When I was living in The Keys, we would eat "Boat Sashimi" where Yellowtail, Mahi and Hogfish would get knocked out, gutted, filleted and eaten within 5 minutes of being landed.

Freshly caught is a rare treat.

About 15 years ago we were trolling on my best friend's boat and landed a bluefin tuna. To my astonishment, everyone on the boat was only interested in the loins for grilling, and nobody but me wanted the belly meat. I got about three or four pounds of o-toro, and some chu-toro on top of that. I can't imagine what that would have cost in a restaurant. That was one of the most amazing culinary experiences ever. I ate until I nearly burst!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Honestly, It's probably just a mental block with me. Maybe I'll give it a try again, someplace good

If was definitely a mental block for me. I kept refusing, and refusing, and refusing. My dad was the same way, until he saw that I was eating the stuff. Two law school buddies got me started on California rolls, which really isn't sushi. Somehow, while at a restaurant eating the stuff, they talked me into trying some of the raw stuff. Been hooked ever since.

My parents were so against it too. Then, I started eating it. Then, one of their old couple friends invited them out to dinner at a sushi place and they loved it. Now, if I have to invite them over for sushi whenever my wife makes it or I have to tell everybody in my immediate family not to mention sushi to nonno and nonna because I will feel guilty about not having invited them over.

Go to a really good sushi restaurant and order something a little mild. Maybe a spicy tuna roll. I will be surprised if you do not like it. Now, if you are like my brother and hate all seafood to begin with, then fogetaboutit.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Lotte and H-Mart are right next to one another in Ellicott City. The seafood there might rival the best I have ever seen. My wife gets tuna and salmon from either of those places to make sushi.

Yeah...I would NOT do that if I were you. It is not as fresh as you think.

If you walk in and smell fish, turn around and leave.
    This. People think it's fresh because they can smell fish and produce in those stores. The opposite is true. You smell it because it's rotting.

Not to mention the fact that the EC Lotte has been closed by the health department at least three times in recent history due to rats, and other violations.

Yeah...I would NOT do that if I were you. It is not as fresh as you think.

This. People think it's fresh because they can smell fish and produce in those stores. The opposite is true. You smell it because it's rotting.

Not to mention the fact that the EC Lotte has been closed by the health department at least three times in recent history due to rats, and other violations.

For fish:
    Eyes should be clear; not cloudy.
    Gills should be red; not brick colored.
    Flesh should be firm and "bounce back" after being gently pressed.
    As stated previously, an "ocean smell" is good; a fishy smell is bad.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom