• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I picked one up. Does anyone know if these have a shelf life? Does the sensor element wear out over time? Seems like a good thing to have in your bugout bag.

Amazon Radiation Detector
    Well, it uses a Geiger tube, and ones from the 60's still work.

One guy says he doesn't like the rechargeable battery for prepping purposes and it looks like a replaceable LiOn battery. I agree with him, I'd rather have standard Alkaline batteries with a shelf life of 10 years.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    The maker responded to my Amazon question saying, "Sensors are about 3-5 years or 50 million counts". Does that mean 3-5 years and it is dead? Or if it is off does that extend the life? If 3-5 and dead this was probably a waste of money. I guess I can just walk around my house and see if any radiation is detected.

splatoid

Aug 27, 2023
    Vancouver Wa.
    I have the GQ GMC-300E.It works real well. And from reviews it has been tested to be very accurate.
    A little over $100.00

Last edited:

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Have a blast walking past your microwave when it is on.
    That's non-ionizing radiation.

You can get "sources" on Amazon also if you don't happen to have some radioactive glass, pottery, tritium sights.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    That's non-ionizing radiation.

You can get "sources" on Amazon also if you don't happen to have some radioactive glass, pottery, tritium sights.
    The old Civil Defense Geiger counters have a check source on the side of the case. I think the half life is 50 years or so, but mine still works.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Can it detect Radon?
    Yes and no. First, some of the detectors don't detect alpha radiation which makes up some of the radiation emitted with radon, also, the problem with radon is that it usually comes in small amounts and the cumulative effects are what hurt you over time. So the counts per minute is small and not distinguishable from background radiation.

splatoid

Aug 27, 2023
    Vancouver Wa.
    Not directly, as it does not read Alpha radiation, which is released in the first and second stage of Radon decomposition. However, a large amount of Radon present will generate significant amounts of Beta radiation, which is released further down the decomposition chain on it's way to Polonium 214, and again down the chain before it reaches stable state. Therefore, it could be indirectly used to determine if Radon [or by-products of Radon] is present. While this is not useful for true Radon levels, it can help you determine if further measurements are needed.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Home made radiation detectors that can probably be made with what you have at home or salvaged items (source for NPN transistors).

At least something to file away for SHTF.

Electronic Version:

Analog Versions same detector (Kearney Fallout Meter) different write ups the long one is the "Original":

Long version Oak Ridge National Laboratory 122 pages:

Intermediate version 23 pages:

Brief version three sections 11 pages bilingual:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom