• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    The wife and I took both out shooting this weekend as a comparison (she was going to decide which one she likes for herself for CCW). We fired about 100 rounds of the specific caliber of ammo through each gun.

We were shooting Russian 9x18 ball ammo in the P-64 and Freedom Arms 380 acp ball ammo in the Ruger.

Ammo loading: The Ruger wins for ease of loading as the feed lips are cut further back allowing the 6 rounds to be more easily manipulated into the magazine.

Compactness: Again the Ruger wins hands down as it is a smaller package all around.

Sights: Both firearms have weak sights, but are easy to put on target in a non-stress situation.

Recoil: P-64 winner by a wide margin. I have heard horror stories about this gun, but the recoil was not excessive or unmanegable by either the wife or I and was easy to get the muzzle back on target. The Ruger has a much sharper and heavier recoil which made it the least 'fun' of the two guns to shoot. The Ruger was not unreasonable by any means, though.

Accuracy: P-64 was again the winner. I was able to overlap shots at 10 yards while the the Ruger was loosly grouped near the center of the 10" target plate. This probably had something to do with the snappiness of the pistols.

Triggers: DA: Ruger is the big winner. The double action on the P-64 was atrocious and nearly impossible to keep on target for that first shot.
    SA: Ruger does not go to single action but is DAO. The P-64's SA is smooth as butter and a very light pull. Follow up shots were much better with the P-64 than the Ruger LCP because of this. The bad DA of the P-64 can be overcome by cocking the trigger for the first shot (or by putting in a different spring). So overall, the P-64 won.

Safety: The P-64 has a left side thumb-activated safety that decocks the hammer and blocks the firing pin. Very easy and simple to use. The LCP does not have a built in safety but relies on its DAO trigger.

Dissassembly/Cleaning: Both are easy to take down, although the P-64 edges out the LCP by a wide margin since no tools are needed like with the LCP in which something is needed to pull out the take down pin (a strong fingernail can sometimes suffice).

Ammo: The 9x18 makarov ammo is less expensive and roughly the same size as the .380 ammo. Both are readibly available in self-defense loads and are fairly accurate at close ranges. Besides the price, they are comparable. (Don't mix the two together in a container, as it would be difficult to tell the two calibers apart without looking at the headstamp).

Conclusion: The wife and I both agree that the P-64 is the better weapon to shoot. It is not as deeply concealable as the LCP but still easy to conceal. It is more accurate and easier to shoot with its readibly available ammo. The only downside is the first shot with it's double action trigger taking about 24 lbs of pull. That is not a deal killer for carry as the hammer is easily cocked back or a lighter spring can be installed (warning, the lighter spring will make a SA trigger that is already very light close to hair trigger).

The wife decided she preferred the P-64 and I will keep the LCP as my summer carry firearm. I'm not unhappy with that decision.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    :thumbsup: Thanks for the comparison. I already have an LCP. I have been considering a P-64. Looks like I'll be adding one to my safe in the near future (albeit with new springs).

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    Nice comparison. My only concern about the P64 is the (non-) availability of spare parts.

Bryan

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    Thanks for the comparison. I was wondering how the P-64 stood up against my P3AT. Now I can asume that the results would be the same with my .380. I guess I'll have to break down and order a P-64 soon.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    did you get the 16lb spring for the P64? it makes a huge diff on the trigger pull and pulling the hammer back. I have a couple P-64's, I love em!

Last edited:
    Mar 12, 2011
    Nicely-done review. I've been on the fence about it but it may be my next C&R buy.

Couldn't have said it better. I wasn't so much looking into an lcp but this is a good review of the cheaper $ wise p-64 that I have had my eyes on vs a modern .380! Thanks

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I actually do have it but haven't installed it yet. I'm a bit worried about lightening an already light SA trigger.

Don't worry. The SA on the P-64 will become just as nice as the SA on my SIG P228 when you swap the spring. Remember to change it inside of a 1 gal zip lock bag. There is a small spring that will fly out no matter how hard you try to prevent it.

Clarification: you will most likely purchase a spring kit which includes a firing pin spring. The small spring that flies out is the one that holds the safety lever in position (safe/fire). If you only decide to change the hammer spring, you don't have to worry about this.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Thanks for the comparison - it confirms why I became partial to the P64. Once the springs were changed, it was my go-to HG. Picked up a few mags from Keep Shooting and been happy since.

jdramsey

Troll hunter.
    Aug 5, 2009
    St. Mary's Co. MD
    Love my P-64, it's a great shooter. I did the Wolfe spring retro fit as soon as I bought it. I think I ordered the spring kit the same day I ordered my P-64. It makes a world of difference. For the price, you can't loose with the P-64. Plus, remember this is a Gov.\Police\Military issued firearm. This thing has been tried, tortured tested, and vetted, 10 fold over a comercial model marketed to civilians.

c&rdaze

Oct 2, 2007
    Southern MD
    Thanks for the comparison. I'll been thinking that I missed my chance at one of these but I see that SOG has them in their new flyer. Time to pull the trigger. :lol:

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    the P64 is a SOLID gun!!! hold it, fire it, its just SOLID!!! the LCP feels cheap in comparison.

I prefer the 9mm Mak over the .380 any day of the week. I CCW the P64 is a perfect pistol with exception of the 20lb DA trigger pull. you don't need a safety

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    the P64 is a SOLID gun!!! hold it, fire it, its just SOLID!!! the LCP feels cheap in comparison.

I prefer the 9mm Mak over the .380 any day of the week. I CCW the P64 is a perfect pistol with exception of the 20lb DA trigger pull. you don't need a safety

As far as personal preference goes, I agree with the 9x18 over the .380 based on shooting my CZ82. (Don't have a P64 yet.)

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    I carry a P64 sometimes. There are a couple oddities I have learned about it for CCW.

If the gun goes out of battery it looks good to go, but the safety will not rotate to the fire position. That is not something you want to learn at the wrong time. It does not happen often, but it is worth a double check the gun is in battery before heading out.

Hornady makes nice defensive 9mm Makarov JHP.

The P64 can be a pain if it malfunctions because there is no slide stop. If the mag will not come out you are screwed. You have to rack the slide back, hold it open with one hand under heavy spring pressure, and release the mag with the other hand.

The heel mag release takes some practice.

Good luck, it is a nice gun. Like all things Eastern Bloc, it has character.:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom