• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    That is one hell of an old bridge too. Standing under it you can't help but think about the effort that went in to building it

They built things to last back in the day. I'm sure there was a lot of blood, sweat and tears put into that bridge. I've always enjoyed dining on the Havre De Grace waterfront and watching the trains cross the Susquehanna.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    That is one hell of an old bridge too. Standing under it you can't help but think about the effort that went in to building it

Pretty sure you're going to be able to see a bunch of people building a new one in the distant future.

Preliminary Engineering and the environmental studies are going to be completed in 2017.

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    No wonder AMTRAK needs assistance, look at the man hours required to let one sailboat pass.

I posted the video as it is apparently something that doesn't happen often. My guess is this may have been a special occasion. Take it for what it is...a great video.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Right, probably opens like a dozen times a year or a little more. Susquehanna, Bush and Gunpowder have to be all close to 100 years old or more and they probably want to start replacing them all starting with the Susquehanna.

I think I read the old bridges have speed restrictions and squeeze down two tracks across them, I'd guess with a bridge replacement they want more than two tracks across and something more modern that doesn't require dozens of people to open it up for boats

Bsmtboy2

Oct 27, 2013
    Hazzard County
    My grand father worked for the railroad and that bridge as a young man. He said 3 guys died building it and 2 of them are entombed in the pylons in concrete under the water level. The bridge was originally designed to move so the navy destroyers could navigate to Bainbridge base. Saw some minesweepers,frigates,and other ships come through to get repaired at Bainbridge. When the base closed, the ships stopped coming. As teenagers we jumped from that bridge ( catwalk under train tracks) many times.

EMS_Goof

Oct 26, 2016
    Right, probably opens like a dozen times a year or a little more. Susquehanna, Bush and Gunpowder have to be all close to 100 years old or more and they probably want to start replacing them all starting with the Susquehanna.

I think I read the old bridges have speed restrictions and squeeze down two tracks across them, I'd guess with a bridge replacement they want more than two tracks across and something more modern that doesn't require dozens of people to open it up for boats

5 bridges open between DC and NY, Gunpowder River, Bush River, Susquehanna River in MD, and Passaic River and Hackensack River bridges in NJ. All but Passaic are 2 tracks. Susquehanna River bridge is 90 mph (local track speed is 110-125 mph), Passaic River is 45 mph, and Hackensack River is 60 mph (local track speed 95).

They will be horrendously expensive to replace, but like the tunnels in NJ and MD, it's a necessity.

EMS_Goof

Oct 26, 2016
    Don't think the Gunpowder bridge opens now. They just finished a bunch of track work and when I was going over it last week I noticed it's all continuous welded rail, and no breaks to open the bridge deck.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Don't think the Gunpowder bridge opens now. They just finished a bunch of track work and when I was going over it last week I noticed it's all continuous welded rail, and no breaks to open the bridge deck.

Some bridges are still listed as opening in coast Guard regulations but the captain of the port has waived the requirement to actually open. Removing a drawbridge from the records requires a rulemaking process with notices, comment periods etc.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I posted the video as it is apparently something that doesn't happen often. My guess is this may have been a special occasion. Take it for what it is...a great video.

Been under and around that bridge hundreds of times and never saw it open. All for one stupid sail boat. Wonder why it was North of the bridge in the first place?

Pretty cool to see it open though.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I don't ever recall seeing the Gunpowder bridge open and been there hundreds of times over the last 30 years too. Bush river bridge opens quite often but I think only on the weekends at a scheduled time. It takes a lot of man power to open it so some much more modern would be good.

EMS_Goof

Oct 26, 2016
    I've heard the same about the Bush River bridge, they'll open it at certain times to let groups of boats through during the summer. The most impressive one is the Passaic River bridge NJ. The machinery and iron work is massive, and so awe inspiring to look at!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom