• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Last month I was browsing the Carol Watson Auction catalog when I found a listing for a very rare 1905 dated Ross MKI* rifle. And while I've seen a few photos of examples from the collections of advanced Ross collectors, in 30 years of collecting military firearms I've never run across a Ross MKI* rifle in the flesh or for sale.
    -So I put on my big boy collector pants and placed a serious bid. Advanced internet bidding finished at my max bid of $1600 and I was sure that this wouldn't hold when live bidding started. But I got the shock of my life when nobody in the room stepped up to bid on the Ross.
    Expensive? Yes. But to get something outstanding you sometimes have to open your wallet. And this is an outstanding example. Somebody wanted it bad enough to pay Simpson Ltd to import it from Canada.
    -A total of only 9,000 MKIs were produced from Sept. 1905 thru July 1906. The MKI* was the second pattern, introducing the new MKII rear sight which is a cross between the GEW 98 Lange "roller coaster" and Krag 1902 sights.
    -The MkI was a failure for two basic reasons; very poor primary extraction due to no camming action on extraction and frequent jamming due to the vertical orientation of the bolt head during pickup. It also cocked on closing which exacerbated the high bolt force. The later MKII rectified all these short-comings. Still, it's a beautifully built rifle.
    -Here are the outstanding auction catalog photos for now...

Attachments

• 506.jpg
      506.jpg
      33.2 KB · Views: 619
    • 506-1.jpg
      506-1.jpg
      15.1 KB · Views: 608
    • 506-3.jpg
      506-3.jpg
      14.7 KB · Views: 600
    • 506-4.jpg
      506-4.jpg
      33.9 KB · Views: 626
    • 506-5.jpg
      506-5.jpg
      42.7 KB · Views: 531
    • 506-2.jpg
      506-2.jpg
      50.7 KB · Views: 614

ofofhy

Jan 27, 2013
    Balto City
    The trick to Ramen is to only use about 1/2 to 1/3 of that little packet of flavoring. Otherwise, you can become hypertensive pretty quickly. That thing is just beautiful.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Gorgeous rifle.

I'll admit, I'd never heard of a Ross until you posted this. Just made me look it up. Very cool:thumbsup:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Congratulations!

One of the real joys of collecting is being lucky enough to be able to benefit from the knowledge you amass on your subject. I see a lot of that knowledge in this forum, and I am always impressed, and informed.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    ive never not used the whole packet, doesnt seem like much to me.

when i eat ramen, its usually 2 packets and i use both spice packs.

i actualy dont like the bowls and cups and stuff, i like the plain old packets.

to really get fancy. once the noodles are ready and the water is hot, crack in one or two eggs, and stir, basically egg drop soup with noodles.

one step further is to drain the water into a cup or something, then lay a few slices of cheese over top of the noodles, then pour the water back in.

bam, instant melted cheesy, egg filled noodly goodness.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    ive never not used the whole packet, doesnt seem like much to me.

when i eat ramen, its usually 2 packets and i use both spice packs.

i actualy dont like the bowls and cups and stuff, i like the plain old packets.

to really get fancy. once the noodles are ready and the water is hot, crack in one or two eggs, and stir, basically egg drop soup with noodles.

one step further is to drain the water into a cup or something, then lay a few slices of cheese over top of the noodles, then pour the water back in.

bam, instant melted cheesy, egg filled noodly goodness.

****The above sounds like it needs some bacon...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom