• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Can anyone give me guidance on ammo for an M1A? I've never owned a 7.62x51 or .308 so I'm not really sure what ammo is quality and what isn't.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Any of the surplus ammo that you can find/buy will be good for range use EXCEPT for "Indian" ammo. (I forget the headstamp.)

This is some 'BAD' ammo. Known issues with quality. I've read of some firearms going "kaboom" using this garbage.

Personally, I'd stick with American Eagle, Federal, Winchester White Box (WWB) or some other 'name brand' ammo.
    Defintely get some LC (Lake City) IF you can find some!

I am not (nor have I ever been a fan of) Tula, or other steel-cased ammo.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Just blasting ammo, most brass will do.

For making really nice groups, Federal Gold Medal Match.

May 13, 2005
    Get some of the Freedom Munitions ammo. It's about as inexpensive as anything out there right now and is pretty good shooting out of a few 308 platforms I've fed it through. Have not grouped it out of an M1A though. If you can afford it, find some M118 / LC LR and try those out.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I have a buddy that only shoots HSM match grade rounds through his. It is pricy but I have ever seen it jam. He says why have an expensive rifle and shoot cheap ammo. Works great in his

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I use 7.62 Federal XM80 surplus as blasting ammo. Works well. It shows every now and then as loose 200 round ammo cans. Also been using PMC bronze 308. This is in a NM.
    ETA: I also heard of some South African ammo that had issues. Not sure about though. Might have been corrosive. I generally would stay away from anything suspect, especially in a M1A. They are too nice to chance it. BTW, be prepare to draw some attention. Mine always does at the AGC.

Last edited:

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Funny this topic should come up.

Been wanting to tell folks that I saw Federal white box 7.62x51 NATO at Dicks for 18 bucks a box (Federal .243 Win is 23 a box).

I don't own anything in that caliber, but it seemed like one hell of a bargain.

Just thought I'd pass it along.

Makes me want to buy a crap load of it so I have an excuse to buy a new rifle.

Is 308 and 7.62 NATO the exact same identical and interchangeable round?

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Get some of the Freedom Munitions ammo. It's about as inexpensive as anything out there right now and is pretty good shooting out of a few 308 platforms I've fed it through. Have not grouped it out of an M1A though. If you can afford it, find some M118 / LC LR and try those out.

Careful with the M118LR, I understand it is loaded for bolt action sniper rifles.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Funny this topic should come up.

Been wanting to tell folks that I saw Federal white box 7.62x51 NATO at Dicks for 18 bucks a box (Federal .243 Win is 23 a box).

I don't own anything in that caliber, but it seemed like one hell of a bargain.

Just thought I'd pass it along.

Makes me want to buy a crap load of it so I have an excuse to buy a new rifle.

Is 308 and 7.62 NATO the exact same identical and interchangeable round?

Not exactly, it's the same deal as 5.56/.223Rem. IIRC, .308 is higher pressure.

MovingFusion

Dec 29, 2012
    I haven't had any issues with any NATO M80 surplus, although I have not tried the Indian or African varieties. Federal White Box, Magtech/CBC, Radway Green and Prvi Partizan have all shot flawlessly through my M1A. Occassionally, I have used Federal Premium Gold Medal with no issues.

Last edited:

MovingFusion

Dec 29, 2012
    If you choose to use .308 and not 7.62mm NATO ammo be careful as the primers are different and a possible slam-fire could occur.

I have never had a slamfire myself, but my rifle came with a photocopied article tucked into the manual describing slamfires...so I guess they are somewhat common with certain types of ammo.

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    Federal ammo for the m1a. I think they are 168gr. They shoot fantastic. My loaded with the nm barrel will pepper a small torso sized target at 200yards iron sights with xm80 though

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    I use PMC and PRVI in my AR-10. For 'plinking' ammo it is perfectly fine and both are brass cased.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I use 7.62 Federal XM80 surplus as blasting ammo. Works well. It shows every now and then as loose 200 round ammo cans. Also been using PMC bronze 308. This is in a NM.
    ETA: I also heard of some South African ammo that had issues. Not sure about though. Might have been corrosive. I generally would stay away from anything suspect, especially in a M1A. They are too nice to chance it. BTW, be prepare to draw some attention. Mine always does at the AGC.

I've got several cases of SA surplus, and I consider it to be corrosive, and clean the rifle, as such. (I bought it when it was dirt cheap!):thumbsup::thumbsup:
    (But then again, I've got some WWII '06 ammo that is corrosive, and it shoots like it is new, too! Careful, correct cleaning is the order of-the-day.)

My SAI M1A is comparable to a SuperMatch and it devours the SA ammo.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    I don't know good or bad but Walmart is getting rid of the ZQ1 7.62x51, 20 rounds for 14.67 or something close to that. I'm going to grab some to see if my Socom eats it. Last range trip had a mixed box of loose mixed 308 and nato and had all kinds of jams. I need a few factory loads to run through it and see what works best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom