• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDlocal

Jan 11, 2013
    Frederick
    Can't comment on the prices or service, but, I do know that you cannot bring your own ammo due to county regulations. Montgomery County did this because they said they do not want people driving around with both weapons and guns in the county. Just another stupid MoCo thing. But if they have gouged prices and crappy service, that's their fault.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Based on the BATFE testimony from Gilbert's appeal of his FFL suspension, I doubt very seriously they will ever get their FFL back again.

ruling attached

Well, that does explain what happened to Gilbert's between the time I used to shop there (late 80s, early 90s) and now. And that was some pretty strong "this court agrees with the prior decision, now go away" language from the sound of it.

Not having MDS to ask then, I had no idea - definitely glad to be giving my business to Atlantic nowadays!

For the range part of things, I'll maybe go try Gilbert Indoor in April for monthly membership (they're *close* to me, I have to hope they're getting better!) and see how it goes...

ASTC

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    I was somewhat disappointed when I went to Gilbert for the first time. So far I have been to On Target in Odenton, and Maryland Small Arms range in Upper Marlboro. On target is half hourly for the lane, but it's usually not that packed. MSAR can have a ridiculous wait time but it is unlimited.

Jumping over to Gilbert, I was disappointed that it did not matter if you owned your own firearms or not, you had to purchase their ammo, no exceptions!!!!!!!!!! On top of that, had to pay $30 per person for using the range this time plus two other timers during the week. Using only a 22lr pistol I owned cost me close to $100 to shoot with a friend.
    On the plus side, I was able to see the guns that they did not have for sale cause they didn't get their FFL back yet.

Don't know if you have been to the new location for the Md. Small Arms Range or if you were referring to the old one? They are very busy on the weekends, but during the week you usually don't have to wait. They have added ten 50 yard rifle lanes which is nice if you are firing a long gun. If you haven't been to the new location, you may want to check it out.

Gmercury2000

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Gambrills
    Don't know if you have been to the new location for the Md. Small Arms Range or if you were referring to the old one? They are very busy on the weekends, but during the week you usually don't have to wait. They have added ten 50 yard rifle lanes which is nice if you are firing a long gun. If you haven't been to the new location, you may want to check it out.

I haven't been there before, what size long gun are you allowed to shoot there?

Ultimate Member
    I was somewhat disappointed when I went to Gilbert for the first time. So far I have been to On Target in Odenton, and Maryland Small Arms range in Upper Marlboro. On target is half hourly for the lane, but it's usually not that packed. MSAR can have a ridiculous wait time but it is unlimited.

Jumping over to Gilbert, I was disappointed that it did not matter if you owned your own firearms or not, you had to purchase their ammo, no exceptions!!!!!!!!!! On top of that, had to pay $30 per person for using the range this time plus two other timers during the week. Using only a 22lr pistol I owned cost me close to $100 to shoot with a friend.
    On the plus side, I was able to see the guns that they did not have for sale cause they didn't get their FFL back yet.

I read their response on here and also about people trying to step in and say it is not that bad.

I've been up there a few times and it was that bad. I am in a great financial situation, but one of the ways I got to where I am was going to other places besides Gilbert's. Even before the ammo shortages their prices were high and when they had the FFL I would rather buy a gun from another shop than them solely based on price.

It is MoCo, and there could be some additional regulations they face. I don't think their business model makes sense unless they made a lot of money from training law enforcement or something with range time. The only way to know for sure would be to have the owner come out and release his books. Is the range carrying any debt, when have they been profitable, what exactly makes them profit (ammo sales or range time), what are their major costs?

No one can argue about their employees and I hope the owner or a manager had a nice talk with them.

But if Gilbert's makes all of their money from contract range time with bigger agencies, then why should they care about us?

Ultimate Member
    13.95 first box, 12.70 for each after that, I shot two boxes just now, I'm digging the nazi zombie targets they got in, few pics attached

great shooting :lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom