• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mavourneen

Lover of Walthers
    Feb 7, 2013
    Silver Spring-ish
    If ammo dries up more than it has, I wonder if they would let us bring our own? I'd go through the magnet check.

Good question. How can they continue as an enterprise within the confines of the "deal with the devil" they signed if there is no ammo to sell to customers or customers are so limited they only stay for a few minutes? Heck, any one of us could blow through a box in minutes with just a little effort...

pilgrim

Just went shooting there this evening. My wife likes that that it is less than 10 minutes away. The ammo rule is not their idea but the local government. But our outdoor range is a drive up the road so if she wants to shoot after work, its going to cost.

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    If ammo dries up more than it has, I wonder if they would let us bring our own? I'd go through the magnet check.
    The ammo issue isn't a steel-core issue like at other ranges, it's an issue with the MoCo government not wanting people running around with hand-loads. (Never mind that anyone who hand loads isn't exactly going to load cartridges that are likely to blow up in their own gun.)

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    The 2nd or 3rd time I was there was a Friday night, and 2 completely inexperienced young women showed up at the range to shoot. They had on sparkly nightclub type sequin blouses and heels - really dressed inappropriately. I eyed them through the glass and nudged my husband to get his attention. He had seen them, too. They disappeared to watch the video and 30 minutes later, I caught them as they left the range. I went back to shooting. As we left, I asked the employee who I saw attending to them what had happened. He let me know that after watching the video twice - they both failed the test and Gilbert's declined to give them range time. I was glad they didn't just take their money and let them shoot. They were completely unprepared and absolutely dressed inappropriately.

WTF? My 11 year old took that test with no trouble (except for one or two poorly written questions).

Mavourneen

Lover of Walthers
    Feb 7, 2013
    Silver Spring-ish
    WTF? My 11 year old took that test with no trouble (except for one or two poorly written questions).

My 11 year old ( soon to be 12 ) will be taking the range test this summer. :) He's super excited to have a chance to shoot. He plinks with his air gun up at Grandpa's in Frederick County. He's ready to shoot my .22 Walther at the range.

punisher12b

Feb 4, 2013
    Montgomery County
    Yall i know its only open Sundays but i love Cresap range.. SAFE .. very much so.. its just up the road in frederick. for all us MC shooters..
    bring ur own ammo none to buy 5 bucks to get in.. 1 buck a target.. EASY!!!

da_kine360

Dec 17, 2012
    Whats the ammo situation like over there these days?

I was hoping to shoot this past Friday after work with a few of my co-workers. We arrived and found out they were completely out of 9mm ammo. Very disappointing. I would definitely call ahead to see what they have available prior to going.

tchin

May 15, 2010
    Silver Spring, MD
    I was planning on heading up there this past weekend, but realized my membership was overdue...guess I won't be renewing. 9mm was the only thing resonably priced that i shoot there.

clay_shooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 27, 2011
    MoCo
    Good question. How can they continue as an enterprise within the confines of the "deal with the devil" they signed if there is no ammo to sell to customers or customers are so limited they only stay for a few minutes? Heck, any one of us could blow through a box in minutes with just a little effort...

Shoot a different calibre that they have more stock? We've been shooting 3 boxes of .22 every visit. They only have Fiocci .22 right now. Hopefully they will get the mini-mags back in stock.

clay_shooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 27, 2011
    MoCo
    What is everyone moaning about? Sure their deal with the county sucks. But it would be worse for me if they hadn't opened. Now I can shoot at night and in bad weather without getting wet or freezing my butt off. There deal is better than the alternative.

Annual member ammo prices aren't that high given the current ammo situation. They've gone up lately as supply costs have gone up. No real surprise there.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I was somewhat disappointed when I went to Gilbert for the first time. So far I have been to On Target in Odenton, and Maryland Small Arms range in Upper Marlboro. On target is half hourly for the lane, but it's usually not that packed. MSAR can have a ridiculous wait time but it is unlimited.

Jumping over to Gilbert, I was disappointed that it did not matter if you owned your own firearms or not, you had to purchase their ammo, no exceptions!!!!!!!!!! On top of that, had to pay $30 per person for using the range this time plus two other timers during the week. Using only a 22lr pistol I owned cost me close to $100 to shoot with a friend.
    On the plus side, I was able to see the guns that they did not have for sale cause they didn't get their FFL back yet.
    You have to buy their ammo because the left wing in MoCo said they have to for a permit to be open as some kind of environmental control.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Based on the BATFE testimony from Gilbert's appeal of his FFL suspension, I doubt very seriously they will ever get their FFL back again.

ruling attached

Attachments

• gilbert guns failed ffl appeal.pdf
      84 KB · Views: 159

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I don't think their member ammo prices are bad. However, the "customers" lately have been pretty ghetto and I'm thankful to have gotten out of the place today without being accidentally shot.

Staff needs to pay attention when groups of "newbs" are shooting. The group next to me was clearly more interested in posing for YouTube than making sure they weren't muzzling everyone at the range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom