• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    He dint get that big by being a first time customer…

Think twice, as indicated herein, before killing him. If you’re determined he goes, relocation is a good thing.

I’d love to have one here. Might keep the piney/ground squirrel away…lil bastard.

Luck to you

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Say's "from the wild". As in you cannot hunt them. A snake in the coop isn't from the wild.

(10) "The wild" means any land or water in the State, either natural or altered, upon which any native reptile or amphibian can exist in a condition which is not constrained or controlled by humans.

Or at least I'd contend once it's in a coop, it is constrained or controlled by humans.

Sec. 08.03.11.09. Unlawful Methods for Taking from the Wild
    • A. A person may not take any reptile or amphibian regulated by this chapter by:
      (1) Lethal methods;
      (2) The use of a hook and line, trot line, bow and arrow, spear, gig or gig iron, or any other device capable of piercing any part of the reptile or amphibian;
      (3) Use of traps, pit falls, snares, seines, or nets other than dip nets; or
      (4) Use of chemicals, including gasoline.
      B. A person may not destroy or alter dens, burrows, basking sites, nests, hibernating sites, or other places of refuge of reptiles or amphibians.

Last edited:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    He dint get that big by being a first time customer…

Think twice, as indicated herein, before killing him. If you’re determined he goes, relocation is a good thing.

I’d love to have one here. Might keep the piney/ground squirrel away…lil bastard.

Luck to you
    I've let them be plenty of times before around the yard, relocated ones in the garage. But I draw the line at in the coop eating the eggs and harassing the chickens.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I agree with the spray foam idea as long as you use the chicken wire with small holes. Rat snakes can slither through really small holes but they are easy to catch by hand. Their bite only breaks the skin if you are an old thin skinned guy like me. I have captured many in my house and just carry them outside.

In two cases they had babies and I never found where they came from. My wife didn't appreciate snakes on the kitchen floor. :lol:
    The problem is the run is connected to the coop and the run is just chicken wire. The coop itself is 1/4 hardware cloth. And considering how they can climb, I assume I'd need to cover at least the bottom 3 feet with hardware cloth to keep them out. That's probably 100ft of run (linear distance). It's a couple of big runs connected to the coop because we generally don't let the chickens out much and we have a LOT of fox and hawks (the former of which has lately been keeping the squirrels pretty in check).

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Say's "from the wild". As in you cannot hunt them. A snake in the coop isn't from the wild.

Sec. 08.03.11.09. Unlawful Methods for Taking from the Wild
    • A. A person may not take any reptile or amphibian regulated by this chapter by:
      (1) Lethal methods;
      (2) The use of a hook and line, trot line, bow and arrow, spear, gig or gig iron, or any other device capable of piercing any part of the reptile or amphibian;
      (3) Use of traps, pit falls, snares, seines, or nets other than dip nets; or
      (4) Use of chemicals, including gasoline.
      B. A person may not destroy or alter dens, burrows, basking sites, nests, hibernating sites, or other places of refuge of reptiles or amphibians.
    You may want to check with DNR on that interpretation. I called them a couple of years ago to see what could be done regarding copperheads around my property (including in scenarios like the house, garage, etc.). They verified that it was not legal to kill any snake in the state (supposed to call a licensed trapper or wildlife service for removal). This was verified in practice when a co-worker received a visit from DNR for killing a timber rattler in an almost identical scenario to the OP. Yeah - they apparently posted a pic of the dead snake on facebook after it was taken out with a shotgun and someone called DNR in response. 8.3.11 covers a lot more than just hunting, it has a strong conservation angle for native species.

1658490286200.png

bcr229

FFL/SOT
    Jul 15, 2011
    Inwood, WV
    Pick her up (at 6' I doubt it's male), put her in a clean 5-gal bucket with a lid, take her for a car ride a few miles away and let her go. If there's a boarding stable anywhere close drop her there, horses spill grain all over when they eat, which draws in mice and rats.

We relocate snakes all the time from people's garages.

And if you like the little buggers there's a Facebook group "Ratsnakes in Predicaments" dedicated to them.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    I've let them be plenty of times before around the yard, relocated ones in the garage. But I draw the line at in the coop eating the eggs and harassing the chickens.
    Did you try a sign, "Snake Free Zone"?

It works with guns in shopping malls.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    My neighbor killed a black snake yesterday. He was very proud of himself. I held my tongue.

DeadInside

MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2022
    SOMD
    Do you want to cite that?

As noted in my post “just an FYI” for those reading this thread who may not be aware of the legalities of the situation.
    Thanks to 308Scout for posting the links.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If it does show up again and I can reasonably relocate it, I shall. But only so far I am going to try to go with this one.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    If it does show up again and I can reasonably relocate it, I shall. But only so far I am going to try to go with this one.
    The reason I get it is I have groundhog issues here.

…given that I have dogs (terriers), my line in the sand is forty meters from the house and twice a week. If they insist on being inside that perimeter with that frequency or more, they’re fair game.

Snakes are imo easier to relocate and have at least some redeeming value.

Good luck. Chicken Butt nuggets are worth every bit of effort imo.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I leave snakes be. You are paying an egg a week for a good mouser. The only time snakes bother people is when they are fooling with the snakes!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Nope, I have to disagree. The problem will escalate. Why should that snake bother to seek other food when it has already found the easiest?
    That's my concern. There has been a time or two I've forgotten to get eggs for a day and went out to get them the next morning and been surprised there has only been 3 or 4 when there are normally 7-9. Maybe the ladies were just off that day. Also, possible the egg thief has been up to no good for weeks now. But if I can move the snake a mile down to the park, sure, live and let live.

Pretty sure the snakes aren't taking care of any of the ground hogs unless some of them are getting babies. I don't relocate groundhogs (alive). Usually, 3-4 a season. So far, I am already at 3 mid-July. Turkey vultures have to eat. Only way I'd relocate a ground hog is if it was some neighbor's barn I really don't like.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Would a game camera pick up the activity or is the sensitivity not sufficient? Would be interesting (to me anyway) to see what really is going on.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Would a game camera pick up the activity or is the sensitivity not sufficient? Would be interesting (to me anyway) to see what really is going on.
    The problem is, if it does, it'll have 987 pictures of chickens in nesting boxes and rummaging in the coop to get 1 picture of a snake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom