• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I have two Metro American Classsic II's, one blued, one matte nickel or chrome or whatever. The blued one seems very good on the finish, not light at all. I've shot it quite a bit and it's held up very well. The chrome one is fairly new, but I've put quite a few rounds through it, and it shows no sign of wear. It's a beautiful gun, so I'm careful with it though. I would feel that their finish is as durable as any gun within their price range, and maybe more.

I also have a Rock Island (RIA) in nickel, and it is begin to show a small bit of wear, in minor scratches and slight discoloration. It has been shot a lot though, and I don't consider it to be any more than normal wear that one might encounter on any gun.

All three have been flawless in function. The ACII does have a better fit and finish than the RIA. I don't care for the RIA parkerize finish however, though I don't have one of them.

Hope this helps,

MH

Yes this helps a lot. Ill take the acii into consideration again.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    SA has said that all of their 1911 frames and slides start out in Brazil. All of them. The only difference is where the bulk of the machining and finishing is done.

The same goes for the Remsport frames and the semi custom makers who use their frames. Those frames are made in South Korea and enter the US below the percentage that the US government uses to consider a frame a firearm.

I thought so but I wasnt sure. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info Mikec

PMD354

I got a Para-Ordnance 45. GI Expert and for the money it has alot of the bells and whistles the more expensive ones have. Shoots great never a FTF or FTE. I would recommend this if you are looking for a 1911 type of 45 auto.

Jwunder

Jun 24, 2010
    Berwyn Heights
    In 2005 my dad and I bought identical springfield mil-spec models. His has stainless bushing and is NOT marked IMBEL or anything at all on the dust cover mine is. His seems to be more accurate. Both are fairly unreliable.

Confirming what has already been stated I understand that his frame was finished in US and mine in Brazil.

I still want to like 1911s and will keep this one until I send it off somewhere to be made into the gun it should be.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Gocheck out the selection at GC. I like the S&W E series guns and may be my next 1911. The Springfield 1911s are nice too. I have both EMP pistols and they have been great so far. All depend what you will be doing with it. Target competition and you may want to get a mid-upper priced or used pistol and add the upgrade items you want. I have the Remmington R1 and like it, but I can see where it can be improved some. For my first 1911, it was a good buy and nice to have the first production 1911s Remmy has produced in a long time.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    I would not spend my money on a ria, norinco or a tauras. Hell I remember when those junky norincos came around about 25 years ago and now there is RIA .

Those 20 yo Norincos were so junky that Wilson and few other smiths were using them to build match guns

The early Norincos quality was very good but the QC dropped in the late 90s.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Those 20 yo Norincos were so junky that Wilson and few other smiths were using them to build match guns

I was going to say that but Im not going to push my opinion. Some of my nicest 1911 builds were Norincos.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    The Colt Model O deserves some attention, especially with them going "retro" with the 70 Series.

Another new 70 Series to consider is the Ruger is another contender especially at their price point for a SS.

Can you guess I'm partial to the Series 70 guns?

O'Shoot

Dec 10, 2010
    I have an RIA tactical 2 tone with about 1000 rounds run through it. It is accurate and has no issues.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    I was going to say that but Im not going to push my opinion. Some of my nicest 1911 builds were Norincos.

Damn Chicom Capitalism. Norinco stopped using the forced prison labor and had to pay real workers.

QC was great when they could beat the sh*t out of the workers and OT was an extra fishhead with their congee(rice gruel):D

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County

Very true as they were decent quality guns. Too bad it's marked, "Fishhead Congee, China."

Hard to believe but true.

Damn Chicom Capitalism. Norinco stopped using the forced prison labor and had to pay real workers.

QC was great when they could beat the sh*t out of the workers and OT was an extra fishhead with their congee(rice gruel):D

Perhaps that's what is needed here in the U.S.. Alot of the U.S. made products have deminished in quality since the 1950's and 60's along with the work force wanting more pay, more benefits, more time off, and do less work with less quality. It's even happened in the gun industry. As MtAirybiker has pointed out, one that wants a true quality high end 1911 has to go with Les Baer, Wilson, Ed Brown, etc. to get that quality (please disregard their base model guns) straight from the box ($,$$$.00) but this is the exception to the norm. Just about everything manufactured in todays world has a preplanned timeframe of endurance so generally it will not last beyond that time/usage point. Also, planned obselesence plays a big role in this too. It's all designed to keep your dollars flowing out of your pocketbook, in alot of cases, before they ever have a chance to arrive in your pocketbook. It really sucks that once something was considered the "standard norm" back in the day is now considered "optional" at a considerable amount more money, if the "option" is available at all.

Sorry fps, I think your thread is about to take a turn.........:innocent0

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Sorry fps, I think your thread is about to take a turn.........:innocent0

Lou

I just want everyone to understand that I don't want to go on the cheap but I also don't want to break the bank. I'm looking for the happy medium...

I'm liking the Colt and S&W right now. I think I can pick up an asian 1911 anytime, they seem overly abundant and afordable. I'd like to get something better than the Asian or S. Am

I'm gonna start saving up. I'm not making any political statement but I want to buy American this time. Its no secret that I'm Asian and no problems buying Asian

no worries

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    Lou

I just want everyone to understand that I don't want to go on the cheap but I also don't want to break the bank. I'm looking for the happy medium...

I'm liking the Colt and S&W right now. I think I can pick up an asian 1911 anytime, they seem overly abundant and afordable. I'd like to get something better than the Asian or S. Am

I'm gonna start saving up. I'm not making any political statement but I want to buy American this time. Its no secret that I'm Asian and no problems buying Asian

no worries
    You could find a colt series 70 and shoot it a while knowing it will go to a GOOD gunsmith for up grades and by shooting it you will see what you need. I just got a colt Gold cup series 70 back and it shoots unbelievable
    as good or better than anything else I have probley better.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Lou

no worries

You do know that the FBI's HRT carries a South American 1911. Yep, the guns HRT carries are Springfield Armory IMBEL made guns. The civilian version is called the Professional. The frame comes into the US at under 51% complete, so SA can legally mark the gun "Made in US".

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    FPS, I would say Colt Gold Cup too. I know Chad likes S&W and not to discount his opinion but I DON'T like the external extractor employed by S&W on their 1911's or any other 1911 manufacturer's external type for that matter. Go with the old tried and trued mil spec internal extractor. It's been around one hundred years in the 1911 now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom