• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I found some old RCBS 30/30 FL dies in amongst some reloading stuff I bought about 10 years ago. The outside of em has some surface rust as does the decapping pin stem. I took them apart and cleaned them with gun scrubber, dried em, and wiped em with CLP wipes. The inside of the sizing doe looked kinda “frosted” or scraped up, but looked nicer after I pushed a clp patch threw it. I guess I’ll size a case or two to see if it scratches the brass. What could I use to restore them back to close to original look? Or should I just not waste time and buy new ones?

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    I found some old RCBS 30/30 FL dies in amongst some reloading stuff I bought about 10 years ago. The outside of em has some surface rust as does the decapping pin stem. I took them apart and cleaned them with gun scrubber, dried em, and wiped em with CLP wipes. The inside of the sizing doe looked kinda “frosted” or scraped up, but looked nicer after I pushed a clp patch threw it. I guess I’ll size a case or two to see if it scratches the brass. What could I use to restore them back to close to original look? Or should I just not waste time and buy new ones?

Unless they really trashed the brass I'd use them. How many times is one going to reload 30/30?

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Unless they really trashed the brass I'd use them. How many times is one going to reload 30/30?

That’s my thinking. As far as how many times is one going to reload 30/30...well it maybe a lot with the current ammo situation lol.

EddieB

Apr 1, 2009
    Frederick Co.
    What could I use to restore them back to close to original look? Or should I just not waste time and buy new ones?

I like to buy used reloading equipment to refurb. I use basic gun cleaning solvents such as Hoppes #9. From what you describe, they don't sound too far gone.

For very dirty or rusted dies I use Kroil with 000 synthetic wool. Kroil can be hard to find locally. The gun shop on Main St. in Mt. Airy used to carry plenty of it. I use a brass bore brush attached to a handgun length cleaning rod inside the dies and cleaning patches in a slotted tip. I will also soak a rusted part in a jar of motor oil for a few days. Harbor Freight sells a three pack of toothbrush type brushes that contains brass, stainless and nylon versions. They are excellent for cleaning dies and other reloading accessories. The brass version for mild rust and dirt without scratching. Stainless for getting into the threads and nylon for cleaning light debris from the threads.

I once had a nice email conversation with an RCBS tech regarding a used .270 die that left a scratch on a case. I could not seen anything in the die. The tech suggested wrapping a piece of Emory cloth around a brass bore brush and running it in the die. He thought there may be a piece of hard case lube causing the scratch. It worked. One thing about RCBS, they have excellent customer service and have replaced several die parts for me at no cost. Even though I've insisted the damaged or missing part was not their doing and would have been willing to pay.

Sometimes the rust will leave a dark spot even though, under a magnifying glass, the area appears clean. Many of the dark spots can be removed with the stainless brush or some 000 synthetic wool. Dark spots between the threads can be tough to remove. If that area is clear of debris, I've never found it to be an issue.

When finished, I like to wipe the die down with CLP.

Suggested materials:

Synthetic 000 wool
    Hoppes #9 or equivalent
    CLP
    Kroil
    Brass, Stainless, Nylon brushes
    Brass bore brush
    Emory cloth

Good Luck!

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts