• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    Hey folks,

So, I'm in the market for a non-AR semi-auto in 5.56. I've narrowed it down basically to the Kel-Tec RDB 20" or RDB-C model, or a MarColMar CETME-L. Don't have any experience with either rifle, but I've heard good reviews about both.

Unless there's a third option I haven't considered (was looking at Zastava PAP M90NPs, but they're super expensive and reliability seems iffy), does anyone have any experience or opinion on either of these?

Thanks!

[EDIT:] Not including the Mini-14 because of the proprietary mags; the moment they make a Mini-14 STANAG adapter, though? Hell yes.

Last edited:

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    Get the bullpup for sure.

CETME is cool and all, but the picky magazine bothers me. I have the MCM CETME L.

Also, cleaning it is a pain. With the modifications to make it legal here taking it apart involved removing the safety. This is idiotic, but otherwise I couldn't get the BCG and spring out. I would change my opinion if there was a trick to this...

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Have you picked up any of the bullpups? They look cool and all, but don't fit everybody. Personally, I'd take the CETME out of those three.

What about Mini-14? Wood stock and no pistol grip on a "ranch rifle" might keep it under the radar for a while. They can be picky about mags too...but that just means they only like Ruger mags.

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    Have you picked up any of the bullpups? They look cool and all, but don't fit everybody. Personally, I'd take the CETME out of those three.

What about Mini-14? Wood stock and no pistol grip on a "ranch rifle" might keep it under the radar for a while. They can be picky about mags too...but that just means they only like Ruger mags.

I like the Mini-14, but the proprietary mags kinda ruin it for me. I was looking at those two because of STANAG compatibility. Sorry, should've put that in the original post.

I have three Gen 2 CETME's and they are not magazine picky.

So, they take GI and PMAGs okay?

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    So, they take GI and PMAGs okay?

PMAGs will never work with a CETME L. Some GI mags might not either.

I have three Gen 2 CETME's and they are not magazine picky.
    You had some mags that didn't work in your write-up though, right?

In addition to not working with magpul PMAGs or lancer mags, which do work ever, and were all I had before.

And there is _no_ cleaning trick, right? If so, changing the gun like that is terrible, ruins the whole concept of a simple delayed blowback config.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    They take GI mags just fine. I cannot comment on PMAGS as I don't own any. Gen1 L's had tight magazine wells and would only fit random GI mags but the Gen 2 models fit all GI mags. I don't use aftermarket magazines so I can't comment on those.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House

You had some mags that didn't work in your write-up though, right?

Only in my first one, a Gen 1. I have since purchased four (sold one to a friend), all Gen 2 and all fit every GI magazine I own (which is a bunch). My steel Beretta magazines fit too as do my FN steel mags and Spanish steel magazines. he original Cetme was not designed for polymer magazines so I would not expect polymers to work in the MCM rifle either. As stated, I don't buy aftermarket magazines.

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    They take GI mags just fine. I cannot comment on PMAGS as I don't own any. Gen1 L's had tight magazine wells and would only fit random GI mags but the Gen 2 models fit all GI mags. I don't use aftermarket magazines so I can't comment on those.

Hmm. That's going to be a bit of a sticking point, as I have more PMAGs than GI, but maybe I'll do some research into it.

This is definitely a tough decision, though. I like the RDB for the length and features, but the simplicity of the CETME is really attractive.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    My personal advice is to get rid of your PMAGS and replace them with GI. There is a reason the US Military doesn't use them. I can lead a horse to water.........
    Personal and objective research is your key to success. Good luck sir.

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    My personal advice is to get rid of your PMAGS and replace them with GI. There is a reason the US Military doesn't use them. I can lead a horse to water.........
    I'm assuming this argument has happened on this forum before.

I searched a bit but the threads I found were disappointing... Did anyone with deep experience on the platform - Clandestine, etc. - ever comment on this?

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016

I thought the Marine Corps was using Gen M3 PMAGs these days? Didn't they approve them back in like 2017?

Did some digging and Ian from Forgotten Weapons confirmed the magwell's too tight for PMAGs on the CETME. This is tough, guys. lol

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    I thought the Marine Corps was using Gen M3 PMAGs these days? Didn't they approve them back in like 2017?

Yes, absolutely. 2017. I _sense_ this battle was fought, they fight about all kind of stuff here, but I'm not seeing solid opinions from ppl who know.

That said, look at the CETME disassembly. It's a PITA in the MCM build.

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    lol. I guess I'm an old relic after all!!

I'd still take the CETME over the Kel-Tec every day of the week.

Nah, I wouldn't say that; I'm a young guy, and I prefer a 1911 to a Glock, so I guess I'm a relic, too. :P Honestly, I really prefer steel guns to polymer, which is the main reason I'm hesitant about the RDB, but I'm not sure I want to buy all new mags when I have ones that work otherwise—especially when the CETME's a bit more expensive than the RDB.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    The RDB 20 chokes on Aluminum GI mags. It likes PMAGS.

The GI mags result is a strange malfunction . It fires one round , fails to chamber the following round then the mag falls off the mag well.

That crap only happens with GI mags. Not on magpul or lancer. So, my RDB only uses Magpul mags.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I don't really like either but if I had to choose it would be the Kel-Tec.

Personal preference... I'm just done with the whole post war stamped steel Hk based designs. They're heavy, have the ergos of a railroad tie and crappy diopter sights; not to mention the big heavy bolt roller lock system that likes to tear the gun up if the head space is off... buy a SCAR or a BREN. ;-)

yucky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom