• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • white rabbitt

Feb 27, 2013
    I have a question. If I were to buy a shotgun out of State (not in Maryland, duh) in a private FTF sale without FFL legally, could I transport it (drive) it back to Maryland legally ? I realize that I could have it shipped back legally to an FFL Maryland Dealer but if I did not wanna go through that hassle is it legal to transport it back to Maryland in my motor vehicle (Yep, I know I just repeated myself, bite me, haha) ? But really, does anyone here know the answer ?

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Illegal sale.

You can only FTF buy or sell with residents of your state.

white rabbitt

Feb 27, 2013
    Illegal sale.

You can only FTF buy or sell with residents of your state.

Ok. Can you give me a link to that statue of law ? And another question, if I should purchase a shotgun in Maryland is it legal to transport it in my motor vehicle back to my residence ? Yes, as you can see I have not purchased a gun of any sorts for a long while past. The last time I purchased a firearm I bought a repeating (lever action) Winchester 30 rifle at Sears which I paid cash for (I think I might have had to show my drivers license at the time, cannot remember), walked out the store with it and put it on the rack behind the seat of my pick-up truck and drove back home with it (which was legal at the time). I had long since sold that rifle (sorry I did looking back).

sfchoffman

Full Battle Rattle
    Feb 18, 2013
    But you can buy it from a store as long as it's not on the regulated list....Stupid laws

usaf_joe

newb..
    Jul 21, 2012
    AA County
    Ok. Can you give me a link to that statue of law ?

It's on the ATF website under FAQ (http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html)

And another question, if I should purchase a shotgun in Maryland is it legal to transport it in my motor vehicle back to my residence ?

Yes, so long as it's unloaded - stored separately from ammo. (Md. Code Ann., [Criminal Law] § 4 (2004) et seq.; [Public Safety] § 5 (2004) et seq.; NAT. RES., § 10 (2004) et seq.)

Last edited:

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    You will have to hunt for the specific law, trust me, what you propose is illegal ; I just don't have time to research the specific citation.

You can transport firearms for legitimate purposes, e.g.-home from the seller's house/shop, to the range, hunting or to a shooting event, or to a gunsmith, in MD so long as they are unloaded, not in "lunge and grab" reach, secured in a container or case, and the ammo is in a separate compartment.

white rabbitt

Feb 27, 2013
    You will have to hunt for the specific law, trust me, what you propose is illegal ; I just don't have time to research the specific citation.

You can transport firearms for legitimate purposes, e.g.-home from the seller's house/shop, to the range, hunting or to a shooting event, or to a gunsmith, in MD so long as they are unloaded, not in "lunge and grab" reach, secured in a container or case, and the ammo is in a separate compartment.

Ok. Can a person legally transport their own shotgun to another State (i.e.: to go hunting, when moving, to a range, ect ...), across State lines ?

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    That would depend on the laws in that state, and I only claim a good knowledge of Maryland law on the matter.

white rabbitt

Feb 27, 2013
    Ok. Can a person legally transport their own shotgun to another State (i.e.: to go hunting, when moving, to a range, ect ...), across State lines ?

By the way, I looked on the ATF SIte as you suggested and could find no regulation or such, other then if it involved a handgun, where one could not purchase a shotgun or any other non regulated firearm in another State other than the one they legally resided in that prohibited them from transporting same to their State of residence. I also found this:

Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity ?
    Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    By the way, I looked on the ATF SIte as you suggested and could find no regulation or such, other then if it involved a handgun, where one could not purchase a shotgun or any other non regulated firearm in another State other than the one they legally resided in that prohibited them from transporting same to their State of residence. I also found this:

Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity ?
    Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

Read and understand the 2nd question/answer on the faq link already provided.

white rabbitt

Feb 27, 2013
    Read and understand the 2nd question/answer on the faq link already provided.

I also, on the ATF Site, could find no regulation (guess I could've missed it ?) that prohibited a person in purchasing a non regulated firearm (such as a shotgun) from someone in another State in which the purchaser did not reside in.

usaf_joe

newb..
    Jul 21, 2012
    AA County
    I also, on the ATF Site, could find no regulation (guess I could've missed it ?) that prohibited a person in purchasing a non regulated firearm (such as a shotgun) from someone in another State in which the purchaser did not reside in.

Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?
    A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

Q: May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s own State?
    A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3)]

Remember, regulated/non-regulated is MD terminology... BLUF, if you want to purchase a non-regulated rifle or shotgun out of state, it HAS to be through an FFL dealer.

Last edited:

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?
    A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

Q: May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s own State?
    A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3)]

Remember, regulated/non-regulated is MD terminology... BLUF, if you want to purchase a non-regulated rifle or shotgun out of state, it HAS to be through an FFL dealer.

Perfect explanation, wish I had said it. :thumbsup:

Right2Carry

Feb 27, 2009
    District 32

If NOT selling or buying a gun. YES - Absolutely, as long as you do not sale the weapon and it remains in your possession. It’s the very reason why I purchase a PA non-resident hunting license every year.
    I also practice my CCW rights. I pull over at the rest stop, open the safe in the back, holster the gun, and on my way.
    In fact, heading up to PA at the end of the month to attend Richland Township Volunteer Fire Dept. Gun Bash in Gibsonia, PA., wish me luck!

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The transfer laws are Federal laws, under the Gun Control Act of 1968.

Basically you can buy out of state ONLY from an FFL.

So to buy from a private seller, the seller can ship it to an FFL in your home state, or find a local FFL in MD to do the transfer. The FFL can receive the firearm from anyone in or out of state, then sell to anyone who comes to their store.

In anyone, I mean anyone who can legally own a gun under all the myriad of laws.

Right2Carry

Feb 27, 2009
    District 32

Yes, do it every year, because I purchase a non-resident PA Hunting License. Also, I often take my guns to shoot with my brothers in PA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom