• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oh heck yes. At some point I’ll get a bucket or two.

I do have a “ready to go” I think 45qt rubber maid tote with about a dozen and a half backpacker meals in it, a couple big packs of ramen, a few bricks of sailing vanilla and cinnamon flavored emergency food/biscuits and about a gallon of water in foil pouches and a few 12oz water bottles I change out annually. The shelf above I’ve got a bunch of freeze dried foods to supplement cooking. butter, eggs, a few types of veggies and some ready wise meal cans and 5 bags of their “72hr emergency kits”. I figure total, not including the ingredients, I’ve got maybe 10 days of 2000 calories a person meals for my family of 5.

Ideally I’d like to expand it to about 3 weeks.

Of course that doesn’t even touch on the probably 3 months of food I’ve got handy between my pantry, fridges, chest freezer and under porch storage room. I mean, I’ve got probably 100lbs of rice handy at any given time.

And doesn’t count all of the barely I have for brewing that you can make bread from or just munch on if you wanted. That alone is a good 200lbs.

But it’s the ready to go food Id like to expand more or less, just stuff I’d rather be able to easy just add hot water and call it a meal that won’t go had any year soon. Mix it in with the real food to change thing up. Or at worst, have handy to throw in the van and go.

*****Yea, you're definitely in *much* better shape than most people IME. We had a pretty big power outage in my old home after a big snowstorm mebbe around 2012 ish. I'm not an extreme prepper but I like having options and do my best to have some preparations including food, water, emergency power, etc.. We had no power for mebbe 5 days and you'd think folks with some means would have some spare food, know how to start their gas stove without electricity, use their fireplace - gas or regular wood burning, etc..

Anyway, many of my neighbors were *clueless*, and had NO idea they could still start up their gas stoves, preserve some of their foods in the 20 inches of snow outside, open their garages manually by disconnecting the lift mechanism, etc.. Several of my neighbors basically would go shopping to the market *every* day for the freshest whatever and had basically nothing at home once the power went out and even our local markets had no power, etc.. I gave some of my neighbors some extra food I had so they wouldn't get too skinny if the power ended up being out for over a month (thinking ahead about Long Pig recipes...Dry rubs, BBQ sauce, etc..).

I just found it odd many of my neighbors - adults, well educated, with some financial means, had essentially *no* prep items including candles, or flashlights, or headlamps, or guns, ammo, body armor, first aid kits, tactical tomohawks, throwing stars, nun-chucks, portable generators, chargers, backup batteries, flashlight batteries... Nuthin... not even all that much food.

Probably not much different now in my new hood. Lots of folks in the suburbs and city don't think past the weekend it would seem. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom