• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrazyIvan

Crazy Ivan
    Aug 2, 2013
    Scaggsville (Howard County)
    Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to find a stainless (or unfinished aluminum) "see through" rail to mount on the receiver of my wife's stainless 10/22.

I have this mount on my 10/22 takedown and really like it, but can't find it in stainless.

http://www.amazon.com/ProMag-Archan..._fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1435227365&sr=8-2-fkmr1&

My wife and I are planning on doing an Appleseed event together and I want to add the rail to her rifle so she can use the rail mounted Tek Sights and have the ability to swap out the rear sight for a scope (our eyes are not what they used to be).

Forgive me if this topic has been discussed on here countless times before, but I did a search and couldn't find it as a topic on here. I am also having trouble finding a similar rail that would also allow use of the factory sights if we need to revert back to those without removing the rail.

Cheers,
    Ivan

Last edited:

Muggs

Nov 21, 2010
    Cumberland
    You mentioned see through. Do you mean like NcStar MRUHS1022?

Its available on Amazon as well as other places.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Rails are made of aluminum alloy, never stainless as far as I know. As for see thru rails/rings they tend to be a limited compromise. They put the scope up too high most of the time so you end up with a bad cheek weld for the scope and limited visibility with the iron sights. I used to have a set of the Ironsighter rings on one of my rifles and ended up taking them off. The only way to guarantee the irons stay sighted in is to never take them off. If the scope is mounted with a QR type mount you can maybe get the POI to stay the same. Either way you will have to check the zero anytime you remove one or the other. Its not a reliable system if you plan on swapping them when you are at an event. If you just plan on using one set and swapping out maybe for another one at a later date that can be done but you will need to check the scopes zero out each time.
    Now the extremely low Promag rail you are taking about will allow you to use the regular irons sights if you pop the scope off. If you want to use the scope but not both at the same setup just get a QR scope mount and use that way but you will need to test it out each time you but it back on. This mount from NcStar actually does not work too bad for a .22 rifle. With the locking arm properly tensioned it can keep a close POI out to say 50 yards or so on a .22 (I have a couple of these). Combined with the Promag rail or something equally as low the cheek weld with the scope is not too high.

http://http://www.midwayusa.com/product/919685/ncstar-1-piece-quick-release-scope-mount-weaver-style-with-integral-30mm-rings-and-1-inserts-flat-top-ar-15-matte

CrazyIvan

Crazy Ivan
    Aug 2, 2013
    Scaggsville (Howard County)
    Thanks Muggs and Photoracer for your help. It's much appreciated. Photoracer, I agree, I don't want a really tall see-through rail, as it would put the scope too high. I was referring to the low rail that I had included a link to as being "see through" since it has a depression in the center so that the iron sights are still visible. I just wanted to find the same thing in unfinished aluminum alloy. I have the one included the link to on my 10/22 TD with QD rings and a Nikon scope. It returns to 0 pretty well when I R/R the scope.

Cheers!
    Crazy Ivan

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Thanks Muggs and Photoracer for your help. It's much appreciated. Photoracer, I agree, I don't want a really tall see-through rail, as it would put the scope too high. I was referring to the low rail that I had included a link to as being "see through" since it has a depression in the center so that the iron sights are still visible. I just wanted to find the same thing in unfinished aluminum alloy. I have the one included the link to on my 10/22 TD with QD rings and a Nikon scope. It returns to 0 pretty well when I R/R the scope.

Cheers!
    Crazy Ivan

The depression in the center has nothing to do with visibility its the spec of the military Picatinny rail as opposed to the hunting type Weaver rail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom