• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • B1web

Cogito Ergo Sum! (cogito)
    Jan 11, 2008
    I just got my NRA instructors cert for basic pistol this last weekend and I wanted to give a shout out to the instructors.

Steve Wachter and Fred Hays are 2 extremely experienced, dedicated instructors. Between them they must have 60 years of experience in LE, Corrections, Private security as well as world class pistol competition. I learned a lot and had a ball.

If anyone in the Washington, Frederick county or NE WV area is looking for some NRA training these guys are great.....:party29:

Steve has a company called Wachter's on target that should have a web site or look for him on the NRA class schedule.

They are good people!

Rockn93yj

Nov 24, 2011
    I know it is an old post but I am looking for training for the Utah ccw permit. Looks like these guys had a web site but it is no longer up. Gonna have to call them and try to avoid traveling all the way to Elkridge.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I know it is an old post but I am looking for training for the Utah ccw permit. Looks like these guys had a web site but it is no longer up. Gonna have to call them and try to avoid traveling all the way to Elkridge.

There are several instructors on the board that teach the Utah CFP course.

My sig line has our current schedule.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Many of the NRA instructors on here and as industry partners offer the Utah and Sabre pepper spray as part of their classes. Mdeng, ProShooter, Parbreak, mercop and I (just to name a few) offer a variety of firearms related classes. I am sure you will find an instructor for any course you may want.

parbreak

Ultimate Member
    Feb 18, 2008
    Lots of good instructors on here, one to fit almost anyone's needs from beginners to the most advanced.

Bryan

Rockn93yj

Nov 24, 2011
    Good, Had quite a few responses and will be setting this up in the near future. I am new to handguns but not to shooting. 5 yrs military and was quite good with the M16. Never fired a handgun and want to take the basic courses to get quite familiar with the pistol and want to take a few courses to know how to use it. I understand the the pistol is only as good as the user and wouldn't want to CCW until I knew what I was doing. I do travel to PA, NC, indiana, and VA (through WV) to off roading events where I can also use the shooting range. Laws aren't very clear as to how I can travel with the weapon. I would think that locked in a case, out of reach of the driver with ammo stored and locked in a separate part of the vehicle would be good in most states but from what I've read it would be considered CCW. Someone told me I'd have to take the pistol out of the case and place it in plain view in some states? Sorry for being long winded but even with links to the laws it isn't clear as mud. Gonna have to print it out and write down notes for every state I go through.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    Good, Had quite a few responses and will be setting this up in the near future. I am new to handguns but not to shooting. 5 yrs military and was quite good with the M16. Never fired a handgun and want to take the basic courses to get quite familiar with the pistol and want to take a few courses to know how to use it. I understand the the pistol is only as good as the user and wouldn't want to CCW until I knew what I was doing. I do travel to PA, NC, indiana, and VA (through WV) to off roading events where I can also use the shooting range. Laws aren't very clear as to how I can travel with the weapon. I would think that locked in a case, out of reach of the driver with ammo stored and locked in a separate part of the vehicle would be good in most states but from what I've read it would be considered CCW. Someone told me I'd have to take the pistol out of the case and place it in plain view in some states? Sorry for being long winded but even with links to the laws it isn't clear as mud. Gonna have to print it out and write down notes for every state I go through.

I'm sure that if you take a training class, this information will be covered, but here it is in the meantime. If you are traveling with a firearm through a state that doesn't honor whatever carry permit you may have, you can fall under the Firearms Owner Protection Act. (18 USC 926A)

18 U.S.C. § 926A : US Code - Section 926A: Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or
    regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any
    person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from
    transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to
    transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he
    may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place
    where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during
    such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the
    firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible
    or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such
    transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle
    without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the
    firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container
    other than the glove compartment or console.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom