• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I would go with a good Savage, probably snag something mid-line for honing your skills then move up to an FCP or FCP-K.

Honestly, I have the Gunsite Scout, havent shot it yet but it is very heavy not sure it would be my number one choice....even if I just had one rifle. The mags are also a pain.

On the outside if you can find a Remington 798 in .308 these are good buys. They are made by Zastava and essentially a Mauser action with all of its strengths and simplicity. The triggers also adjust nicely. If its like my 799 its accuracy is insane. Only downside is that you need to raise the scope a bit more than many are comfortable with the clear the bolthandle. Finish is good and laminate stock looks great, I would snag one if I came across it at the right price. Actually looking for one in .375 H&H or .458 for a Safari gun build i have in mind. They are still being imported by KVAR and CAI but the finish seems to have taken a turn for the worst.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    I know this is sort of a niche gun, but I have been craving a Ruger Gunsite Scout for a long time:

ruger-gunsite-scout-rifle-308.jpg

20114189059-w7634tar-9050-edit_m.jpg

main.jpg

Only thing keeping me from buying one is the knowledge that this will be one of the last guns to ever be banned...sigh. :sad20:

agator

Jan 9, 2008
    My brother and I both bought the Ruger Gunsite Scout rifles. They are both under 1 moa and are pretty fun guns to shoot. They have 3, 5 and 10 round magazines. We put a XS rail on both rifles and then used the rail for a regular scope set up. We are both not fans of scout scopes and the XS rail comes with a backup peep sight so you don't lose the ability to use iron sights. He has a Leupold 2x7 VXR scope on his and I put a Burris 2x7 Fullflied II on mine. They have been great rifles and we both have shoot them out to 300 yards accurately at Delmarva Sporting Clays. Ruger now has a stainless version with a 18 inch barrel that I wish they had sold before I had bought mine with the 16 1/2 inch barrel. With decent ammo, we are both getting just under 1 inch at 100 yards. We also put a Larue Tactical A2 flash hider on them. These have become one of our favorite rifles to shoot.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If I had only one rifle, it would be .30-06.

Every rural gas station has ammunition. LOTS of factory ammunition choices. Good for any game on the NA continent, and good for most game anywhere else.

And with handloading, you can get almost .300 Win Mag performance out of it. Factory loadings have to be safe in older rifles (some VERY old).

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    There is nothing like an relatively inexpensive off the shelf rifle that will shoot sub MOA with some hand loading. I have lots of bolt rifles and enjoy them all. I have always thought about some type of scout rifle and the Ruger interest me. Has anyone done some load development to see what that thing could really do?

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Feb 28, 2013
    If I had only one rifle, it would be .30-06.

Every rural gas station has ammunition. LOTS of factory ammunition choices. Good for any game on the NA continent, and good for most game anywhere else.

And with handloading, you can get almost .300 Win Mag performance out of it. Factory loadings have to be safe in older rifles (some VERY old).

I'll second that.

Only reason I don't want a .30-06 is that I have an M1A.

But if I could only have one or the other, it would .30-06

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom