• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    If you never fired a shotgun before then you may want to consider a 410 or 20 gauge before a 12.

410 with buckshot or the new personal defense loads is quite effective for HD and would be comfortable for your wife and daughter to shoot also as their interests develop in our sports.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Also, no offense to those that suggested it but the Hunter Safety Course is not a good idea forany new shooter especially a female that has been prejudiced by Bambi and other movies that indoctrinate with the social falsehood thar animals good and hunters are mean and evil.

Get them interested, show them that shoooting is fun, exciting and necessary to keep us free and fed at times. Then you can introduce them to hunting and over come those false and negative sterotypes a lot easier and more successfully then just throwing them into it.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    In you first post you said you wanted a firearm "Just in Case", so here you go.
    Take a safety course and remember to keep this weapon safe from your children!

Attachments

• mossberg_jic_51340.jpg
      mossberg_jic_51340.jpg
      28.2 KB · Views: 167

kmb

Ultimate Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    Fantastic recommendations by all before.

Remember, the military trains to fight. Adopt that mentality when learning to shoot/move during self-defense. Repetitive, diligent practice of aiming, breathing, trigger squeeze reinforce muscle memory when facing an intruder. And not every situation will allow you to "lock on" so practice various stances as the layout of your home will call for different approaches.

Take courses to reinforce the mechanics of shooting and understand the laws, responsibilities, and concepts of engaging a target. Make it fun to "practice/plink" with your wife and child. Make it serious when training HD with your wife.

.38, .357. 9mm, .40, .45 all make holes. i think they're all great. Load and ballistics are different for each but practice with what you need for HD. I wouldn't want to get shot by any. 12g 00 buckshot I'd imagine hurts too. Pump or SA shotgun I think is a null argument. Get what works for you.

Welcome and best of luck to you and your family.

Nelben

Jan 11, 2010
    Baltimore
    I recommend reading some Chuck Hawks, specifically his article on ammunition for the self-defense firearm. Remember any gun you want needs to be controllable for follow-up shots, accurate to your level of skill, not result in over-penetration (neighbors). There's a lot to think about, so as many have said try as much as you can before purchasing.

dalthoff89

Feb 3, 2012
    Home Defense= Pump Shot gun (Like a remington 870)
    Easy to learn on= double action revolver (Like a Ruger SP101)
    Longer Gun Rifle= AR type
    Gun for your children to learn on= Ruger 10/22

Have fun!

bmwdan42

Jan 30, 2012
    Central Virginia
    Start the kids shooting early. My eight year old grand daughter for Christmas wanted pink shooters ear muffs and shells for her .410 short stock shotgun. My 12 year old grandson got a Marlin .270 with a scope. My three boys have been shooting since they could hold a gun. Safety comes from training not lectures. My three sons and two of my daughters-in-law have carry permits. One daughter-in-law carries a Colt defender .45 and is good with it. But then this is why we live in Virginia. Hopefully Maryland will get some sort of reasonable right to carry passed soon. Keep up the pressure.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    I would argue that some sort of securing device (gun lock, safe, etc) would be mandatory with children in the house. Despite some arguing that you can "inoculate" children against the inevitable curiosity concerning the firearm (teach them about it and they'll respect the gun), I would say that such a position is unrealistic. You should definitely teach them about the firearm, but don't treat them like adults and expect a simple "don't ever touch this" is sufficient. The amount of peer pressure that kids can bring to bear on each other is immense. And it only takes one time, one lapse in judgment, for a horrible accident to happen. Even if you implicitly trust YOUR child not to touch the gun, can you vouch for all of their friends who might come into your house? Perhaps when you're not home? And if those children are aware that there's a gun in the house, and they sneak away to look at it. {shrug} I'm just saying, if the gun is locked away, then it isn't an issue.

pakman916

Apr 23, 2011
    MoCo, MD
    I would argue that some sort of securing device (gun lock, safe, etc) would be mandatory with children in the house. Despite some arguing that you can "inoculate" children against the inevitable curiosity concerning the firearm (teach them about it and they'll respect the gun), I would say that such a position is unrealistic. You should definitely teach them about the firearm, but don't treat them like adults and expect a simple "don't ever touch this" is sufficient. The amount of peer pressure that kids can bring to bear on each other is immense. And it only takes one time, one lapse in judgment, for a horrible accident to happen. Even if you implicitly trust YOUR child not to touch the gun, can you vouch for all of their friends who might come into your house? Perhaps when you're not home? And if those children are aware that there's a gun in the house, and they sneak away to look at it. {shrug} I'm just saying, if the gun is locked away, then it isn't an issue.

I think it's the law to have it locked up with kids in the house. I might be wrong...but I swear I read that somewhere.

vulcanrun

Feb 27, 2012
    Edgewater
    Well got a new Mossberg 500 20GA. Can't beat the $209 price, and
    should at least get me accustomed to them if and when I decide to
    move up to something else. Thanks for all the suggestions.

ducrider45

Jul 29, 2011
    Severn
    If you are looking for a home defense gun, I recommend a standard stock pump shotgun. 18.5'' smooth/cylinder bore barrel. Do not buy a pistol grip shot gun for the house! You cannot open/close a door and shoot at the same time with a pistol grip.
    If you are looking for a handgun for home defense and to go plinking with I would recommend a SA/DA revolver. No safeties to mess with if needed under high stress. Just pull the trigger.
    If you are looking for recreation, a semi-auto 22 is as good as it gets. It is cheap fun all day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom