• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    So not saying I'm buying in the near future, but I am looking at what are good 338 Lapua rifles because at some point I am getting one. I know Barrett makes one that I like, but also with that comes teh Barrett price tag lol... What are your favorites when it comes to this caliber. I definitely like the more "tactical" look versus the traditional bolt rifle look, if that makes sense.. What do you guys like/recommend..

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    TRG or AI.

You have priced .338 Lapua ammo? Good commercial stuff is about $5 PER ROUND. And reloading is not cheap either. Somewhere close to $3 per round.

But I want one also. :)

Personally, I want the TRG-42.

sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I know its not cheap to feed, but I'm running a 50BMG too so I'm used to it :D... I've wanted a 338 for a while though. One of these days I'll actually get into reloading. I have had my eye on the Dillon presses. I just would like to learn from someone before I get into it, but thats another story.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I've fired one of the Barrett semis and wasn't as impressed as I was firing a friend's TRG42. the 42 was a shooter right out of the box with nothing added but the mount, rings, glass, and ammo.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    I'm hoping to be at Delmarva on 8/2 and I'll bring my MRAD. There are certainly cheaper ways to go but I love this rifle.

enya60h

Dec 10, 2011
    Have 2 338 lapuas and 50 bmg love to shoot both , reload both also I am in Severna park by giant so your close by drop me # Will Get together and shoot them have can for the 338 just got form 4 back needs to be broken in LOL

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Have 2 338 lapuas and 50 bmg love to shoot both , reload both also I am in Severna park by giant so your close by drop me # Will Get together and shoot them have can for the 338 just got form 4 back needs to be broken in LOL

Let me know how the can works out. Interested in the recoil reduction it provides in addition to the sound suppression.

Ask far a suggestions on a .338 Lupa I love shooting the Sako TRG-42.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I had a Savage 338 but got rid of it just had too many issues with it .

I have a TRG42 in 300wm , it's WONDERFUL lol . If I were to get another 338 in would be the Sako .

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Savage 110 FCP HS Precision

That's the one I had ......

Factory base is crap , it sheared off . I replaced it with a Murphy Precision , problem solved .

ACCU Trigger had issues with resetting occasionally , had to cycle the bolt twice sometimes .

It was finicky on what brass it liked to extract . PPU , Lapua were ok , it would not extract hornady brass the case rim was just slightly smaller .

That said , when it did shoot it shot great . I just got tired of a different issue coming up every time I took it out .

rtse4me

Apr 12, 2013
    Howard County
    An alternative would be a custom rifle. I see nice used custom builds for sale pretty often from GAP,Surgeon etc.
    Look at the classified section on Snipershide or other long range shooting boards.

sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    An alternative would be a custom rifle. I see nice used custom builds for sale pretty often from GAP,Surgeon etc.
    Look at the classified section on Snipershide or other long range shooting boards.

You know, I should expand my forum readings to check out some other sites.. Would be a good oportunity to start haha

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'd take a page from E.Shell and just get a 300WM.

338LM is just too rich for my blood.

rj - Funny you say that, friend I shoot with has a 110 in 338LM, it does not like S&B ammo at all. Had to rod out 5 cases - wouldn't extract them, skipped off the rim and the casing had to be rodded out.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    rj - Funny you say that, friend I shoot with has a 110 in 338LM, it does not like S&B ammo at all. Had to rod out 5 cases - wouldn't extract them, skipped off the rim and the casing had to be rodded out.

That's the same issue I was having . It was a bad day at the range and the last trip that thing made with me .

That said the TRG in 300wm will be going to see Mr. Shell with me in a few weeks :party29:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    That's the same issue I was having . It was a bad day at the range and the last trip that thing made with me .

That said the TRG in 300wm will be going to see Mr. Shell with me in a few weeks :party29:

I looked at the primers on the ones that stuck, completely flattened out. S&B 250gr rounds, definitely loaded on the warm side.

So that may be something other people would want to keep in memory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom