• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Well I bought the First Strike red dot sight and have put it on the gun ( but not loctited and screwed everything down good). I am wondering 2 things:

1- location of sight- ok the eye relief seems perfect for me at this, as seen in pic, just checking to see opinions. But a riser would help I think for overall comfort, however, I don't want to having sighting in issues due to it being higher on the gun.

2 boresighting? I don't have a 12 ga boresight, just a .308. Would sticking it at the end of the barrel work ok, since it is a shotgun and the sight is 5MOA? At what distance to boresight to adjust the red dot? 20 yards, 25? I want to get a good hit to 40 yards, maybe more.

I am anxious to get this working for me with a proper pattern so I can go out and try to call foxes in!

Attachments

• shotgun 002.jpg
      shotgun 002.jpg
      68.1 KB · Views: 226
    • shotguntopwithreddot.jpg
      shotguntopwithreddot.jpg
      66.3 KB · Views: 231
    • shotgunboresight.jpg
      shotgunboresight.jpg
      68.2 KB · Views: 233

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I've got a bore sighter that has adjustments for all different calibers. You might look into getting one of those. Of course since you've got access to property to shoot on, you could always just shoot it a few times from a rest to figure that out. I don't think using the .308 will work because if it leans up or down much at all it won't work.

justsand

Ultimate Member
    Jul 14, 2010
    monrovia md
    just go shoot it at like 10 yards make your adjustments move back to 15 repeat move back to 20 repeat
    remember turkey loads will not all pattern the same try a few in different sizes to see what works best. also 3 or 3.5 isn't always better a lot depends on your barrel if it is back-bored or not. Plenty of turkeys have been killed with standard 2.75 loads

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    My extremely limited experience, 8-6 is going to roughly center at your point of aim sighing 20 or so yards if sitting it for slugs, then it'll start sighting progressively lower. 4-1 out to about 30 yards and I have zero experience at higher shot sizes versus slugs right now.

As for what do do, I'd use the bore sighted for the .308 at around 10-20 yards and then take it to the range and dial in the sight to the point of impact you want.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    About as good a spot as any, but not sure why you would need a riser, looks higher than the rib now, you don't want it higher than you can get a good cheekweld with. I usually sight mine in at 25yds for slugs, so it's + or - a couple inches practically out to 100yds. See where your shot patterns from there if you plan to shoot shot also, some pattern several inches low, but most are usually close enough that the same 0 is useful for both.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    This gun is for shooting shot from, not slugs. It's for predator hunting. I do not want that stock hitting my cheek at all, I had to hold it that way to use the irons and my cheek got bruised. Owwww. I was using a shooting stick last time with it, while in a chair. I will use the shooting stick when hunting too. Or sit on the ground and use my knees to steady it.

I was advised by some predator hunters to use 3" in #4 shot using turkey loads for best performance.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I've got a bore sighter that has adjustments for all different calibers. You might look into getting one of those. Of course since you've got access to property to shoot on, you could always just shoot it a few times from a rest to figure that out. I don't think using the .308 will work because if it leans up or down much at all it won't work.

Use a level on the barrel and the receiver and a vise and you can ensure it is level and plumb. Laser should lay perfectly at the bottom of the barrel then. I use a level with iron sights to do "hire sighting" before taking it to the range. A nice 4ft level and lay it across them (trickier with peep/ghosting ring as you have to eyeball the center).

Few times I have done it I was on the paper and within 3" of dead center at 25yds.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    This gun is for shooting shot from, not slugs. It's for predator hunting. I do not want that stock hitting my cheek at all, I had to hold it that way to use the irons and my cheek got bruised. Owwww. I was using a shooting stick last time with it, while in a chair. I will use the shooting stick when hunting too. Or sit on the ground and use my knees to steady it.

I was advised by some predator hunters to use 3" in #4 shot using turkey loads for best performance.

I hear you on that. With irons on my shotgun my cheek is a little sore after firing a few rounds 4 out of 5 times. Never a bruise though. Just with the heavier 3" stuff (goose/deer/buckshot), trap and 2 3/4" game loads and deer slugs are fine.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Well, I love the height on the red dot. No cheek hit, and I think I got the butt on my shoulder properly as I do not have a smarting shoulder right now. I took the gun out today and was too bright to bore sight, but the first hit was on my pizza box, high and to the left. I adjusted the sight and eventually was at center-ish. Then I had run out of shells lol. I only bought 8, and 1 was a dud! I was at a bit less than 20 yds, and damn the pattern is tight at that! Most pellets congregating in about a 3" circle. I will try tomorrow to see what 25 and 30 yds is like. If they are still centering, I assume they will center at 35/40/45/50. My last target to try is one with a fox drawn on it. BTW shooting was tough today, with the cold wind! But I saw a stinking red fox trotting along there yesterday at 3pm when I had reset, and nothing in my traps today, so I am hankering to try some calling.

BTW I am shooting 3" turkey loads. Gobble foxes LOL

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I seem to have it sighted now, finally lol. Remington turkey load however- 2 duds with light primer strikes, Win super x no issues at all. Any idea what's up with the light primer strikes? Also the gun has a chambering issue, doesn't always chamber, and I have to rack again. That would suck majorly, fox comes in, stands in good range, and click. Prob needs cleaning, and oil up the mechanisms, which I will do.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    I seem to have it sighted now, finally lol. Remington turkey load however- 2 duds with light primer strikes, Win super x no issues at all. Any idea what's up with the light primer strikes? Also the gun has a chambering issue, doesn't always chamber, and I have to rack again. That would suck majorly, fox comes in, stands in good range, and click. Prob needs cleaning, and oil up the mechanisms, which I will do.

I had that problem with my Ultimag(Mossberg) whilst shooting at a deer once. Got it home and pulled the bold to find it was PACKED with grass and debris. No idea how it got there. Cleaned it out and it worked fine.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I had that problem with my Ultimag(Mossberg) whilst shooting at a deer once. Got it home and pulled the bold to find it was PACKED with grass and debris. No idea how it got there. Cleaned it out and it worked fine.

I found a pseudo pine cone sticking in the action of my 870 over the weekend. Like one of the long thin thingies more like a twig than anything. Was stuck back through the tube mag back in to the action.

Cleaned it out, but next day had a shell jam ejecting after taking a shot at a sika. Not sure if it was me short stroking it or just a legit no fault of mine jam. I need to spend some time at sporting clays as well as some time at the range practicing firing and quickly operating the slide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom