• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Specifically at this point, for a "turkey" gun. I bought a Mossberg tactical turkey 12 ga, and was told it would be even better with a red dot sight rather than the tru-glo irons. There are drilled holes for scope mounting. The gun is for predator hunting at this point.

I found this at SG, wondering if it's any good? I need a weaver base to mount it to I guess. I haven't looked for one that fits Mossbergs.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...camo-30-mm-dual-color-red-dot-sight?a=1011008

Yeah, I really want to get the gun patterned so I can go out and try it on fox ( or a coyote if one comes in close enough- there is one stink-dog running around out there right now). I can live with the irons for now, but I have the funds to get the red dot now. If it would quit raining, I could go pattern it with the #4 shot turkey loads I bought...

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    That or any RD sight made for a turkey gun should work fine. I use one(a different brand) on my turkey gun and it holds zero even after shooting those magnum loads. They are way easier to point than standard iron sights.:thumbsup:

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    http://www.amazon.com/Burris-FastFire-Red-Dot-Picatinny-Reticle/dp/B001THO2Q6/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1450907932&sr=8-9&keywords=reflex+red+dot+sight

I would recommend something like this. I don't have this particular one, but I have two similar sights, whose names I am too old to remember right now, on two of my shotguns. The advantage of the reflex sights is that you can shoot with both eyes open. Of course, the disadvantage is that they are 1x. Shouldn't be a problem for turkey ranges.

Also great for shooting flying birds, either goose, duck, or clay.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I have never bought that one in the OP specifically, but check the reviews. I bought two in the last year, one for a shotgun and one for a mini-14, both broke. One was the Burris Fast Fire, the other I can't recall offhand unfortunately.

I am not sure what the innards are, but they would not hold a zero after a very short time. Whatever you get, be sure it will hold up to magnum loads on a 12 ga.

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    I have a Jpoint sight I always thought would be good for shotgun use, just never put it on one.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Friend has a Burris FastFire II mounted on his Benelli reciever. He has two barrels:

Turkey & Waterfowl

The Burris is really neat and has survived many hunting trips.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Don't waste your money on a Truglo. They are bottom of the barrel.

Any of the other red dots linked here will do just fine. I have a trs-25 and a Burris Fastfire ii, both with thousands of rounds and no problems. The Truglo I bought lost zero on the first round.

The TRS-25 is the best deal in budget optics. Bushnell also makes a reflex sight called the Firststrike, also a quality optic.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/299048/bushnell-first-strike-red-dot-sight-5-moa-dot-matte-with-picatinny-mount

I bought my Firststrike on sale for $89 with a riser.

justsand

Ultimate Member
    Jul 14, 2010
    monrovia md
    Don't waste your money on a Truglo. They are bottom of the barrel.

Any of the other red dots linked here will do just fine. I have a trs-25 and a Burris Fastfire ii, both with thousands of rounds and no problems. The Truglo I bought lost zero on the first round.

The TRS-25 is the best deal in budget optics. Bushnell also makes a refles sight called the Firststrike, also a quality optic.

exactly what he said :thumbsup:

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    I won't completely discount the $25 red dot sights, I have had one (BSA but the same sight is sold under many names) for years on a beltfed 308, that has held up.

1919.jpg

It eats battery's like a 4 year old eats Pez candy and is not the most "open" sight you can get, along with a less than precise "dot". However, much cheaper than my aimpoint, trijicon, cmore, JP or other red dot sights, for ringing steel it's a winner. Once you pay for the components to load the ammo the cost for a CR 2032 battery is nothing and no problem with putting a new battery in when I use it.

Did mount it "gansta" style but just know that "up" is really "left" and it's good to go.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Looks like I will get the Bushnell First Strike.

I was out trying the irons that came with the gun, and even on the lower setting AND aiming low the pattern was too high. The pattern with this choke looks great though, at 30yards. I won't try 40 or more till I get the red dot on and sighted.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I won't completely discount the $25 red dot sights, I have had one (BSA but the same sight is sold under many names) for years on a beltfed 308, that has held up.

I bet that doesn't recoil much at all, especially compared to a 12 ga with turkey loads.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    My brother in law has had a Bushnell Trophy 1x28 Red dot on his Mossberg 835 3 1/2" for about 8 years now. Never has had any issues at all. It rides behind the seat of his truck most of the time and has never lost zero.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom