• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Odarlin1

Ultimate Member
    I can't read the article (already had my three WaPo articles this month or whatever lol) but IMHO the MD chapter of the ACLU is not nearly so idealistic as many others. They tend to be straight up leftist dogmatists who do not agree with Heller and are also not interested in the freedom of conservative viewpoints.

Yes. I agree. But mostly they stick up for Free Speech. Here's an excerpt from the article

"Thursday's Supreme Court case on Confederate flag license plates has created some bizarre allies.

The Supreme Court released a decision ruling against a Confederate veterans group that wanted the state of Texas to approve a specialty license plate with the Confederate flag. The state denied the plate, and the veterans group sued Texas for violating its free speech.

In a 5-4 decision, the justices said the license plate was government property and therefore not subject to free speech protections.

[The Supreme Court just dealt the Confederate flag a blow]

The Confederate Veterans group wasn't happy about the way the case turned out. Neither was the American Civil Liberties Union. Its legal director, Steven R. Shapiro, issued a stern statement in response to the decision:

"By allowing states to censor private speech they deem offensive, today's decision is a step backwards for the First Amendment."

The ACLU siding with a Confederate veterans group might have raised some eyebrows in political circles. The nonpartisan nonprofit tends to fall to the left of the political spectrum on most issues.

But when it comes to free speech, the ACLU has a long history of defending people and groups that share very few of its political values.

When Chick-fil-A president Dan Cathy said in 2012 he believes marriage is between a man and a woman, city mayors in Boston and Chicago wanted to give the Christian-owned restaurant the boot.

But the ACLU very publicly had Chick-fil-A's back.

"Everybody has a right to spout off about same-sex marriage and equal rights," ACLU's Massachusetts director, Carol Rose, wrote in a blog post. "Mr. Cathy and those who share his views can have their shout, even if their views are bigoted.""

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Yes. I agree. But mostly they stick up for Free Speech. Here's an excerpt from the article

"Thursday's Supreme Court case on Confederate flag license plates has created some bizarre allies.

The Supreme Court released a decision ruling against a Confederate veterans group that wanted the state of Texas to approve a specialty license plate with the Confederate flag. The state denied the plate, and the veterans group sued Texas for violating its free speech.

In a 5-4 decision, the justices said the license plate was government property and therefore not subject to free speech protections.

[The Supreme Court just dealt the Confederate flag a blow]

The Confederate Veterans group wasn't happy about the way the case turned out. Neither was the American Civil Liberties Union. Its legal director, Steven R. Shapiro, issued a stern statement in response to the decision:

"By allowing states to censor private speech they deem offensive, today's decision is a step backwards for the First Amendment."

The ACLU siding with a Confederate veterans group might have raised some eyebrows in political circles. The nonpartisan nonprofit tends to fall to the left of the political spectrum on most issues.

But when it comes to free speech, the ACLU has a long history of defending people and groups that share very few of its political values.

When Chick-fil-A president Dan Cathy said in 2012 he believes marriage is between a man and a woman, city mayors in Boston and Chicago wanted to give the Christian-owned restaurant the boot.

But the ACLU very publicly had Chick-fil-A's back.

"Everybody has a right to spout off about same-sex marriage and equal rights," ACLU's Massachusetts director, Carol Rose, wrote in a blog post. "Mr. Cathy and those who share his views can have their shout, even if their views are bigoted.""

I know , my point is that's not the Maryland chapter of the ACLU. I have no doubt in my mind from their past Behavior that they are going to just say "reasonable gun control to keep everyone safe" and not complain about the red flag law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom