• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    my dad is a Vietnam vet 100% combat disabled, honorably discharged after completing his service.

does he need an hql or is he exempt or just training exempt.

he has a hair up his ass and wants his first pistol since the late 60's or early 70's and wants one TOMMORROW. I have explained the waiting period and hql to him and he about blew a cork.

HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N
    my dad is a Vietnam vet 100% combat disabled, honorably discharged after completing his service.

he has a hair up his ass and wants his first pistol since the late 60's or early 70's and wants one TOMMORROW. I have explained the waiting period and hql to him and he about blew a cork.

Not to stir shit up, but I will anyway. We're was Dad when all this crap was going on, why didn't he stay informed. I feel like his hair up his ass and his cork blowing should have happed then and by now it should be over.
    I feel like I know why, back then it didn't effect him and now it does.
    I have run across this 4 times this month, and no I don't work for an ffl or in the industry.

He should also know that Obama and the ag are going after older Americans guns by not allowing them to pass them to others and or they can not be kept in any nursing home or care center that gets federal funding..

It should piss him off he served his country.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Not to stir shit up, but I will anyway. We're was Dad when all this crap was going on, why didn't he stay informed. I feel like his hair up his ass and his cork blowing should have happed then and by now it should be over.
    I have run across this 4 times this month, and no I don't work for an ffl or in the industry.

He should also know that Obama and the ag are going after older Americans guns by not allowing them to pass them to others and or they can not be kept in any nursing home or care center that gets federal funding..

he did what he could years back. he has pissed off more dems than I have, just not lately. between mom being seriously ill for the last 17 years and finally passing 3 years ago and the cancer from the agent orange eating him up for the last ten years and the fact he is pretty old and starting to slip he,s been preoccupied. not an excuse he's just had a hard row to hoe.

and watching obozo this week is the hair up his ass. and worry not about him passing is things down, that's taken care of.

as for his head exploding, well he is a marine so..........

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland

Some are only recently becoming involved and not at the same speed as many of us are. Additionally, the question was about how, not the retiree.

OP, your post made me smile. Thoughts about my father, may he rest in piece, a retired Army sargeant who bled red, white and blue came to mind immediately. And when he got 'a bug up his _ _ _ s' about something...there was no stopping him. Seems both our fathers were of the same breed of man. So I identify with you and your energies to help your Dad throught this. Kudos. Tell him it is worth the effort.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA

Guns are not a huge priority or a voting issue for everyone. Even many that own them.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I will point out that he can purchase a C&R eligible handgun without an HQL.

What type of handgun is he looking for?

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    There are a number of older 1911-type guns that qualify as C&R including the aforementioned Ballester. Also, any firearm not on the C$R list kept by ATF is considered automatically included if it is 50 or more years old....the issue being you have to ensure it can be documented as 50+. For many major manufactures, serial number can nail it for you. There are also some very nice Smith revolvers from the 50's and early 60's that qualify and tons of inexpensive (relatively) Eastern Block firearms that are C&R. A private transaction can be made from another state resident right at a Maryland State Police barracks. Just make sure you call before you go (there is no law or Maryland State Police Policy limiting this process to certain hours, but sometimes a barracks may not have someone available who is familiar with the process at a particular time....especially if it is lightly manned). There is a $10 charge for processing the 77R and the 7 day waiting period is still in effect. Payment can be worked out with the seller, but often a partial payment is made (whatever is acceptable to both parties) and final payment made when the firearm is delivered.

And, yes, some IPs keep C&R guns just for those who either want a C&R or those who simply want to get around the Hql requirement.

I work part time for Scott's Gunsmithing and we have been keeping old Eastern Block (recently Romanian) Tokarevs and Makarovs (actually Polish P-64s) that are C&R in addition to whatever C&R consignments which show up from time to time.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md

Yeah, this. ^^^

Several IPs keep C&R handguns in stock.

There is a Ballester Molina .45 ACP in the classifieds for $400. Your dad could have it in his hands in 7 days.
    https://www.mdshooters.com/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=28808

There are a number of older 1911-type guns that qualify as C&R including the aforementioned Ballester. Also, any firearm not on the C$R list kept by ATF is considered automatically included if it is 50 or more years old....the issue being you have to ensure it can be documented as 50+. For many major manufactures, serial number can nail it for you. There are also some very nice Smith revolvers from the 50's and early 60's that qualify and tons of inexpensive (relatively) Eastern Block firearms that are C&R. A private transaction can be made from another state resident right at a Maryland State Police barracks. Just make sure you call before you go (there is no law or Maryland State Police Policy limiting this process to certain hours, but sometimes a barracks may not have someone available who is familiar with the process at a particular time....especially if it is lightly manned). There is a $10 charge for processing the 77R and the 7 day waiting period is still in effect. Payment can be worked out with the seller, but often a partial payment is made (whatever is acceptable to both parties) and final payment made when the firearm is delivered.

And, yes, some IPs keep C&R guns just for those who either want a C&R or those who simply want to get around the Hql requirement.

I work part time for Scott's Gunsmithing and we have been keeping old Eastern Block (recently Romanian) Tokarevs and Makarovs (actually Polish P-64s) that are C&R in addition to whatever C&R consignments which show up from time to time.

a big part of his problem is the .45acp he has is now too heavy for him and the recoil is now just too much for him. I let use an old airweight and he said the grips too small and the recoil entirely too much because of the weight.

I am gonna take a p-38 and a hi power and a few 380's ( all wwII bring backs given to me when I was a kid from wwII vets) and see what he thinks of them.

and I really appreciate everyone's help. we are all getting older and will need help sooner or later.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

and watching obozo this week is the hair up his ass. and worry not about him passing is things down, that's taken care of.

as for his head exploding, well he is a marine so..........

Your dad sounds pretty cool.

:thumbsup: (as others also indicated for the C&R suggestion)

You're in Southern MD - does that mean MoCo, or somewhere south of the Eastern shore?

Your dad is welcome to try my CZ-82 (chambered in 9x18mm Makarov) if near Frederick (and I can take you guys to one of two ranges here). If it's something that he likes, one doesn't need a C&R, and I don't drive a hard bargain, esp with vets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom