• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flyingblind

Oct 3, 2012
    for those of you who dont know my deal, I moved here with my firearms and thus none are registered, would it make sense to register 1 before 10/1 so I can prove I have a regulated firearm and avoid another training requirement?

Thoughts?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    for those of you who dont know my deal, I moved here with my firearms and thus none are registered, would it make sense to register 1 before 10/1 so I can prove I have a regulated firearm and avoid another training requirement?

Thoughts?

Personally, I would find a really good and uber discrete Notory Public.

Make a detailed (serial numbers) list of what you now own and have it notorized.

Carry a copy of the notorized list in any vehicle that will be used to transport those firearms.

Of course a list would be kept in your home as well.

Just my .02

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Do you have receipts from when you bought them?

Did you buy them from an FFL?

If either is true, there is proof that you purchased before.

And it is up to the state to prove that you illegally acquired them after Oct 1, not for you to prove you had them before.

flyingblind

Oct 3, 2012
    I have receipts, but for ease,after 281 takes hold won't it be easier if they have a record of me.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I would not voluntarily register anything. I would purchase something regulated before October. If there is nothing that you want, buy the cheapest thing you can find, even if it does not work. You can always sell your new purchase if you do not like it.

ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    New PA Resident...
    I would not voluntarily register anything. I would purchase something regulated before October. If there is nothing that you want, buy the cheapest thing you can find, even if it does not work. You can always sell your new purchase if you do not like it.

Second, but the question then becomes "what is the cheapest regulated item to purchase?".

I would say a stripped lower but I know prices have been crazy on them recently and if you decided you didnt want it then you can't transfer it in state after 10/1.

Though who doesnt want a stripped lower?!

Maybe whatever used handgun is cheapest in the dealer's case?

Of course, I dont think there is anything illegal about buying a handgun from a buddy, going through the process to take possession and then deciding that it wasnt for you and that the right thing to do is to sell it back to them for the exact same amount you paid for it... :innocent0

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    After SB-281 comes into force on Oct. 1, if you already own a handgun you are forever exempt from the training portion of the handgun license. I only have one handgun registered in MD because I moved here from out of state. I think I am going to do an MSP transfer to my wife with one of my other handguns so she's exempt from training as well. They only way to prove you are exempt from the training requirement, as far as I can tell, is to have a handgun "in the system." The law stipulates "lawfully owned prior to Oct. 1" but try convincing a stat employee at the MSP that you moved here from out of state and it was lawfully owned. You'll spend more time dealing with red tape than if you have at least 1 handgun in the system.

If you register, I think the state will charge you $15. Inter-family transfers are free. Now if you transferred a handgun to your wife before you moved here, you could save $15 and do a spousal transfer at the MSP for free.

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    After SB-281 comes into force on Oct. 1, if you already own a handgun you are forever exempt from the training portion of the handgun license. I only have one handgun registered in MD because I moved here from out of state. I think I am going to do an MSP transfer to my wife with one of my other handguns so she's exempt from training as well. They only way to prove you are exempt from the training requirement, as far as I can tell, is to have a handgun "in the system." The law stipulates "lawfully owned prior to Oct. 1" but try convincing a stat employee at the MSP that you moved here from out of state and it was lawfully owned. You'll spend more time dealing with red tape than if you have at least 1 handgun in the system.

If you register, I think the state will charge you $15. Inter-family transfers are free. Now if you transferred a handgun to your wife before you moved here, you could save $15 and do a spousal transfer at the MSP for free.

Does this apply to transfers from out of state? Can a family member transfer a regulated or banned gun (gift or inherited) after 10/1?

ThatGuy179

Apr 2, 2012
    Pasadena
    Aero Precision has blemished stripped lowers for $100 right now

Second, but the question then becomes "what is the cheapest regulated item to purchase?".

I would say a stripped lower but I know prices have been crazy on them recently and if you decided you didnt want it then you can't transfer it in state after 10/1.

Of course, I dont think there is anything illegal about buying a handgun from a buddy, going through the process to take possession and then deciding that it wasnt for you and that the right thing to do is to sell it back to them for the exact same amount you paid for it... :innocent0

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    If I had moved here from a free state, say Indiana for example, and had handguns bought there, I wools not voluntarily register anything. Not required by law, not going to happen.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Does this apply to transfers from out of state? Can a family member transfer a regulated or banned gun (gift or inherited) after 10/1?

After 10/1, you cannot bring in any "assault weapons" whether you inherit or purchase (out of state).

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland

My wife just purchased an Iver Johnson pistol. It is ugly. The cylinder does not lock up until the hammer is cocked. I would not feel safe shooting it, let alone letting her shoot it. She paid $55 for it. Now she will not have to take the state mandated class to purchase in the future. Many dealers have this type of handgun propping a door open or leveling a table leg. Ask them . The usually don't put this quality of gun in the display case.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I agree, DO NOT register your legally purchased firearms. In any future case, the burden is on the state to prove you bought them too late.

Buy some piece of crap to get out of the future training requirement ... sell it to the next guy who needs the same thing ... sort of like the barrel lock exchange.

cz27jim

I *am* a curio and relic!
    Sep 27, 2012
    I have been wondering about that "Lawfully owned prior to October 1" part.
    Two examples:

I have a pistol that my Father gave me in 1983. I "lawfully" own that gun, but cannot prove the transfer, as no paperwork was required at that time.

I purchased a CZ-82 a few months ago using my C&R (ship to me from out-of-state). I have my sales slip from the FFL and it is in my bound book. This is another "lawfully" owned handgun that is not in Maryland's records anywhere. At least with this one, I have paperwork that should hold up to scrutiny. Still, we're talking about Maryland. I can imagine someone at MSP trying to tell me that I did not legally obtain the CZ-82 since it did not go through a retail FFL in state.

Stupid law with stupid wording.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom