• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    They are NOT regulated because they can be built into pistols. They are regulated because they can be built into a banned weapon. The recording of the purchase(erroneously referred to as 'registering') gives the state a date and age of the serialized lower. It's the only way the state can tell if it was built into an illegal configuration.
    One last try ^^^

You can buy a dedicated pistol caliber AR lower. It is cash and carry. No 7 day wait. No 77r. You can build it into a pistol or rifle. Whatever you choose.

BigMac

Oct 15, 2023
    Baltimore
    One last try ^^^

You can buy a dedicated pistol caliber AR lower. It is cash and carry. No 7 day wait. No 77r. You can build it into a pistol or rifle. Whatever you choose.
    I was for a long time under the impression that any lower is regulated because it could be made into a pistol. Thanks to your insistence, I did some searching and came across this thread. It seems like there is a lot of ambiguity and misunderstanding around lowers, but ultimately MSP confirmed that non ar15 lowers are cash and carry.
    I'd like to verify the implications of this:
    Does this mean that I don't need to be 21 to buy such a lower? If such a lower was to be turned into a pistol would it need a 77r or any special steps?

I first bought a ar10 upper with the intention of buying a separate lower. An FFL told me that to buy the lower I would need to be 21 AND get an HQL. Needless to say, I erroneously believed him, and I bought a new complete ar10. I'm not so upset about the mistake because now I have a .308 and 6.5 upper, but as it turns out I can now complete a second build if I can find a competent FFL and enough money in my piggy bank.

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I was for a long time under the impression that any lower is regulated because it could be made into a pistol. Thanks to your insistence, I did some searching and came across this thread. It seems like there is a lot of ambiguity and misunderstanding around lowers, but ultimately MSP confirmed that non ar15 lowers are cash and carry.
    Does this mean that I don't need to be 21 to buy such a lower? If such a lower was to be turned into a pistol would it need a 77r or any special steps? Would I need to be 21 to make it into a pistol?

I first bought a ar10 upper with the intention of buying a separate lower. An FFL told me that to buy the lower I would need to be 21 AND get an HQL. Needless to say, I erroneously believed him, and I bought a new complete ar10. I'm not so upset about the mistake because now I have a .308 and 6.5 upper, but as it turns out I can now complete a second build if I can find a competent FFL and enough money in my piggy bank.
    The one point I can not tell you unequivocally, is whether you need to be over 21 to buy an unregulated lower. It stands to reason, tough, that that is the case.

What I can tell you is this; any AR type lower that is not capable of firing a .223/5.56 round, is cash and carry. You will have to transfer it into Md(unless you can find one in stock inside the state), and you will have to fill out a 4473(federal transfer form) as well as do a NICS upon picking up that lower receiver. You will not need a 77r, will not have to wait 7 days to pick it up, and you will not need an HQL. I have personally purchased three that way. I had no HQL. It's reasonable to assume you would need to be 21 or older to do this, given that the lower can be built into a pistol configuration.

I hate to be redundant, but the only reason AR 15 lowers capable of firing the .223/5.56 round are regulated is so the state has a record that the lower was purchased later than 1 Oct, 2013, so that it can not be built into a banned configuration(ie, anything other than a heavy barreled firearm). It is not because they can be built into a pistol.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Correct an AR-10 lower is cash and carry and only requires a 4473.

Does this mean that I don't need to be 21 to buy such a lower?
    Correct.

If such a lower was to be turned into a pistol would it need a 77r or any special steps?
    No requirement in State Statute to register a serialized lower that is completed as a pistol.

I first bought a ar10 upper with the intention of buying a separate lower. An FFL told me that to buy the lower I would need to be 21 AND get an HQL.
    The FFL was wrong on both parts, find a new FFL if you haven't already.

Needless to say, I erroneously believed him, and I bought a new complete ar10. I'm not so upset about the mistake because now I have a .308 and 6.5 upper, but as it turns out I can now complete a second build if I can find a competent FFL and enough money in my piggy bank.
    Good luck in your search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom