• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hagar

Mar 26, 2009
    Odenton
    Hey guys,
    I've got a Sig p229 that I purchased quite a few years back in South Carolina when I was a South Carolina Resident. I went through the whole background investigation and registration in that state. Now that I am a MD resident, do I need to register it with MSP? I saw in one of the MSP FAQ's that I am ok, but I generally dont trust websites because who knows when it's been last updated. Anyone have an actual MD state law reference that says that I am ok?

Thanks

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Nope, no need to "register" it. Maryland doesn't technically have registration per se, but all regulated firearms sales are recorded by the MSP.

Oh, and welcome to the show. :beer:

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    I asked the MSP the same question, even the poor guy answering the phone that day said "Registration's voluntary, but I dont know why anyone would want to do that"

Hagar

Mar 26, 2009
    Odenton
    Danke for the info. Just making sure. Buddy of mine is getting ready to become a newly minted LEO, so don't want to put him in a position where there is any question on whether or not I'm legit owning the SIG..

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Danke for the info. Just making sure. Buddy of mine is getting ready to become a newly minted LEO, so don't want to put him in a position where there is any question on whether or not I'm legit owning the SIG..

Welcome aboard. Just remember though, unlike some other states that allow it, you cannot sell this gun without going through a dealer or the MSP.

txiyo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 18, 2008
    Just wondering if you come into this state with your collection of guns that are now "regulated" in Maryland what happens if the police stop you and find you with them?

Do they just run your driver's license and realize that your fine because your not a person that would prohibited from owning or buying one?

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    Just wondering if you come into this state with your collection of guns that are now "regulated" in Maryland what happens if the police stop you and find you with them?

Do they just run your driver's license and realize that your fine because your not a person that would prohibited from owning or buying one?

Depends. But you better be able to demonstrate you were transporting them to/from your home, the range, a gunsmith or passing through to another state. Or a display but that only applies to MD licensed collectors. Maryland has a form of "peaceable journey" that does not permit you to be simply driving around with regulated firearms in your car with no reason.

By the way, this only applies to handguns, not regulated firearms in general. Regulated long guns and non-regulated firearms are (to my knowledge) unaffected by this.

I don't know what would happen. I've never been stopped transporting firearms and if I were, I could demonstrate I was going to or coming from an applicable place under MD code 4-203 while in possession of a handgun.

You should be fine.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom