• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chinchong87

Sep 2, 2009
    AA
    Awhile ago my Grandfather passed away and left me his Ruger Vaquero. Do I need to do the transfer paperwork to ensure that it is on the up and up or since it was family can it simply pass from hand to hand without involving the state? Also, My stepfather also wants to gift to me his Llama 1911:rofl:. Since he is my stepfather, again, does Maryland need to get involved or because he is family, can it just go from him to me?

I know these laws are retarded but I try to do everything on the up and up. Thanks guys!

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Awhile ago my Grandfather passed away and left me his Ruger Vaquero. Do I need to do the transfer paperwork to ensure that it is on the up and up or since it was family can it simply pass from hand to hand without involving the state? Also, My stepfather also wants to gift to me his Llama 1911:rofl:. Since he is my stepfather, again, does Maryland need to get involved or because he is family, can it just go from him to me?

I know these laws are retarded but I try to do everything on the up and up. Thanks guys!
    Paperwork in both cases, yes, but with different conditions.

If the grandfather willed you his Vaquero and you lived in MD at the time,l then you need to fill out the application for transfer/purchase and send it in to the MDSP (no fee).

If your stepfather lives in MD and you live in MD and he was your legal guardian, then I am relatively positive it is father to son gift and you would have to fill out an application for purchase/transfer and send it in to the MDSP within five days after reciept (no fee). If he was not your legal guardian when growing up then that is more of a gray area and for both scenarios you have to contact the Attorney General's office (Mark Bowen) for a determination of if it qualifies as a father to son gift under the MD law.

If the stepfather is a resident of another state, then an FFL must be used and the normal state handgun process must be followed.

I am not a lawyer.

chinchong87

Sep 2, 2009
    AA
    grandfather did not specifically will it to me on paper however, he told me that all of his firearms were to be mine upon his death.
    My stepfather is also a MD resident.

So, I am assuming that I just have to fill out the paperwork and mail it in to Pikesville? Can someone give me a link to the appropriate paperwork? I have no idea what I need to fill out as I got most of my "toys" when I was a resident of Vermont

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    grandfather did not specifically will it to me on paper however, he told me that all of his firearms were to be mine upon his death.
    My stepfather is also a MD resident.

So, I am assuming that I just have to fill out the paperwork and mail it in to Pikesville? Can someone give me a link to the appropriate paperwork? I have no idea what I need to fill out as I got most of my "toys" when I was a resident of Vermont

You need to pick up an application for transfer/purchase from a dealer or the MDSP at one of their barracks (or maybe the firearms licensing division will send you one?) It is form 77r. Remember to call the MDSP firearms licensing division first to see if a step father counts the same as a father under MD law for regulated firearms gifts.

chinchong87

Sep 2, 2009
    AA
    You need to pick up an application for transfer/purchase from a dealer or the MDSP at one of their barracks (or maybe the firearms licensing division will send you one?) It is form 77r. Remember to call the MDSP firearms licensing division first to see if a step father counts the same as a father under MD law for regulated firearms gifts.

Got it. Thank you sir. I will update once I get in contact with MSP and report back

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    Indeed it does thanks for the headsup. I appreciate it.

Also, the laws are indeed asinine, however, I appreciate the grammar instruction.

Wasn't trying to be a dick about grammar, just "retarded" isn't the nicest way to refer to anything, would hate for you to rub some folks wrong before they got to know you.

Welcome to the forums!

littlebr4d

Large Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Jarrettsville, MD
    So, if I read this correctly... If my [living] father who lives in MD wants to gift a pistol to me and I now live in PA, we treat the situation as if we are strangers and go through the FFL shuffle. correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom