• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dorkus619

Sep 16, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    My situation: Recently purchased my first handgun from Gander Mtn (facepalm). As I was finishing up I overheard an associate explaining to a potential buyer that the waiting time for background checks by MSP is around 5 months and if you don't have paperwork cleared and gun in hand prior to October 1, you have to get the HQL. (I was ill-informed previously thinking as long as I paid and got the process started prior, I would be okay.) :sad20:
    I still submitted paperwork anyway and my Bersa Thunder 380 is in the back at their store in Salisbury MD.

So what's my best option? Transfer to Knights for $40? Should I cancel that order and buy from 2A upholding gun shop? Should I call out of work tomorrow and make a trip somewhere?

The closest to me are (in order closest - furthest)
    - Knights (no answer on phone this morning or e-mail sent earlier)
    - R & B (closed today, no e-mail address?)
    - Mid County
    - Chesapeake
    - Corsica

dorkus619

Sep 16, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    I got a response from mid county also.
    So now I'm considering purchasing one from a respectable shop that is doing 8th day release.

Problem is:
    http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/maryland.aspx
    'A person may not purchase more than one regulated firearm in a 30-day period...'

Define "purchase" - I paid for the thing but it's not in my posession. It won't be in my possession anytime soon if ever (I'm considering a return if possible)

Do I need to retun the one I bought at Gander BEFORE attempting to purchase one from another shop?

gazingwa

Van Down By The River
    Jan 24, 2013
    Sussex County, DE
    My situation: Recently purchased my first handgun from Gander Mtn (facepalm). As I was finishing up I overheard an associate explaining to a potential buyer that the waiting time for background checks by MSP is around 5 months and if you don't have paperwork cleared and gun in hand prior to October 1, you have to get the HQL. (I was ill-informed previously thinking as long as I paid and got the process started prior, I would be okay.) :sad20:
    I still submitted paperwork anyway and my Bersa Thunder 380 is in the back at their store in Salisbury MD.

So what's my best option? Transfer to Knights for $40? Should I cancel that order and buy from 2A upholding gun shop? Should I call out of work tomorrow and make a trip somewhere?

The closest to me are (in order closest - furthest)
    - Knights (no answer on phone this morning or e-mail sent earlier)
    - R & B (closed today, no e-mail address?)
    - Mid County
    - Chesapeake
    - Corsica

You could transfer, Knight is great to work with. Honestly though, I would call Shore Sportsman in Easton. I was in there last week and they had 6 Bersa's in the counter. Might just cancel your Gander order and buy there.

dorkus619

Sep 16, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    I returned my Gander purchase - they hadn't even sent paperwork yet. However, unfortunately, they refused to tear up the papers or even write VOID; They will still send paperwork off to MSP.

I purchased a SW 380 Bodyguard from a local shop doing 8 day release. Hopefully I don't get denied because of 2 purchases in 30 days despite that I really only purchased 1 because the other was returned within 48 hrs of purchse; within 24 hours of filling out paperwork.
    @mdram - seems to me you can only buy 2 in 60 days IF you are a designated collector; which I am not.

mdram

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2011
    Eastern Shore of Maryland
    I returned my Gander purchase - they hadn't even sent paperwork yet. However, unfortunately, they refused to tear up the papers or even write VOID; They will still send paperwork off to MSP.

I purchased a SW 380 Bodyguard from a local shop doing 8 day release. Hopefully I don't get denied because of 2 purchases in 30 days despite that I really only purchased 1 because the other was returned within 48 hrs of purchse; within 24 hours of filling out paperwork.
    @mdram - seems to me you can only buy 2 in 60 days IF you are a designated collector; which I am not.

no
    anyone can get 2 at 1 time and wait 60days for next one
    iirc the 2 must be on the same paperwork, but I have been wrong before, just ask my wife

a collected can buy any number any time

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    You need to wait 30 days before you take possession of another regulated firearm, the MSP considers the actual date you receive the firearm not when you pay the money or do the paperwork. If you put two regulated on the same 77r you can pick them both up at the same time (after 7 days) but then would have to wait 60 days before you can pick up another regulated firearm. Unless you have your Maryland Designated Collector paperwork Designated Collectors do not have to wait 30 days between "purchase" (pick up). Link to Designated Collector information:
    https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/SupportServicesBureau/LicensingDivision/FirearmCollector.aspx

After submitting the paperwork the FFL may release (on the 8th calender day) the regulated firearm if they have not been notified of a denial by the state police. The release policy, if and when, is up to the individual FFL so check with them before you give them your money. Some dealers will complete sales, before Oct.1st, that are made up until midnight of September 23rd but each dealer may have different policies.

If you don't receive, take possession, of a handgun before October 1, 2013 you will need a Handgun Qualification License (HQL) to receive the handgun. How to get an HQL has not been defined but will take 30 days or more and cost at least $50 but may be several hundred dollars and will mean filling out more forms, getting "Live Scan" fingerprints, and taking a training course with live fire unless you are exempt from training.

Regulated long guns, "Assault Weapons", that are on a "purchase order" (that have been bought) prior to October 1, 2013, but not delivered may be delivered (take possession) after October 1st and do not require a HQL.

This means someone could before Oct. 1st (if you find the right FFL) purchase two handguns and put them on the same form 77r, take possession of both on the 8th day and purchase as many "assault weapons" as they can afford and take possession of the regulated long guns starting 60 days after the handguns at 30 day intervals.

All FFL's in the state are extremely busy many are not answering the phone or emails because they are helping customers. If you want your regulated firearms before they are banned, or it gets much harder, do the leg work and visit them in person to find what they have and what their policies are.

See this post for a link to a list of and a map of Maryland FFl dealers doing on time (8th day) releases.
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=2469807&postcount=1

Remember regular Rifles and Shotguns are not Regulated and do not fall under these regulations or wait times. You can still buy then with just a telephone NICS check or face to face between individuals even if you are waiting for a regulated purchase.

dorkus619

Sep 16, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    Thank you mdram and Blacksmith101

Those responses were very helpful and seem like good news for me. I think I'm in good shape, I was really only trying to get 1; I just hadn't realize I got screwed by Gander/MSP until after I already made my purchase and filled out papers.

I returned that one and drove to a respectable local FFL who is doing 8th day release. I filled out all my paperwork on the 17th. His cutoff is today as he doesn't want to be in a panic right at the end and wants to allow plenty of clearance for himself. Also I think he is counting "working days" not calendar days. Whatever I'll still get mine before 9/30

This means someone could before Oct. 1st (if you find the right FFL) purchase two handguns and put them on the same form 77r, take possession of both on the 8th day and purchase as many "assault weapons" as they can afford and take possession of the regulated long guns starting 60 days after the handguns at 30 day intervals.

Okay. Now I hadn't thought about this. I thought I got my 1 and now I'm done. This is interesting because from what I understand it's mainly the "lowers" of these "assault weapons" that are to be banned. So I could buy a "lower" for a reasonable price and then go pick it up 30+ days after I receive my handgun (Should be the 27th). yes?

Might be headed back to that shop or another locally recommended shop from a coworker yesterday to get a lower.

Thanks again everyone for your help. It's nice to know that we're all in this together and having so many great minds figuring out what the rules *actually* are and how to safeguard ourselves and each other.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Okay. Now I hadn't thought about this. I thought I got my 1 and now I'm done. This is interesting because from what I understand it's mainly the "lowers" of these "assault weapons" that are to be banned. So I could buy a "lower" for a reasonable price and then go pick it up 30+ days after I receive my handgun (Should be the 27th). yes?

Might be headed back to that shop or another locally recommended shop from a coworker yesterday to get a lower.

All the "Regulated" long guns on the current MSP list will be banned as of Oct.1st however any of the "Regulated" long guns legally owned or on a "Purchase Order" prior to Oct.1st are grandfathered and legal to own. Note you cant sell or transfer them in Maryland after October 1st except by inheritance, so if you want to get rid of it you have to sell it out of state.

You can also take delivery of a "Regulated" long gun and/or stripped receiver (the piece with the serial number the rest of the gun is just parts) that is on a existing, pre Oct. 1st, "Purchase Order" after October 1st. This exception is specifically in the SB 281 law for Long guns however handguns picked up after Oct. 1st will require the as yet unobtainable HQL. Note if you own a regulated firearm before Oct. 1st you are exempt from the training requirement of the HQL, still have paperwork, fingerprints, and fees to pay.

I will pick up my last handgun on Saturday and I have two stripped lowers on a purchase order to be picked up after 30 days (On the same 77r) then I'll have to wait 60 days before I can purchase another handgun. It will probably take that long to get my HQL although I have also applied for my Maryland Designated Firearms Collectors License which does away with the waiting period.

Anth1127

Nov 11, 2013
    I have a question and hopefully someone can answer this. I purchased a gun from Gander Mountain in September. I am still waiting for my release. Is there anyway I can contact an ffl and they can go get the fun and release it to me since it's well after the 8 days? I know that there will be a fee. I just am tired of waiting already and Gander won't release. Any help would be great.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    I have a question and hopefully someone can answer this. I purchased a gun from Gander Mountain in September. I am still waiting for my release. Is there anyway I can contact an ffl and they can go get the fun and release it to me since it's well after the 8 days? I know that there will be a fee. I just am tired of waiting already and Gander won't release. Any help would be great.

Awesome Freudian slip!

Interesting, I read a post a here a couple days ago that "not disapproved" responses were coming back in a couple days. I think many assumed they'd cleared the backlog. Looks like maybe they're putting the new law abiding citizens at the front of the line.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Awesome Freudian slip!

Interesting, I read a post a here a couple days ago that "not disapproved" responses were coming back in a couple days. I think many assumed they'd cleared the backlog. Looks like maybe they're putting the new law abiding citizens at the front of the line.

Nope the Backlog is 51,048 applications and at the current rate of processing it will take them nearly a year more to process them. They are currently working on applications from the end of July. The State Police report the numbers here:

https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/SupportServicesBureau/LicensingDivision/MainLicensingPage.aspx

For further analysis see this thread, go to the last page for the most recent data:

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=131829

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

If Gander won't release until they get a "Not Denied" then you have at least a couple more months, State Police is working on applications form the end of July. I suspect the closer the application dates get to Oct. 1st the more applications there are.

You need to ask Gander if they will ship the gun to another FFL and if they will you need to find an FFL who is willing to do the transfer and make the arrangements. Make sure you understand the FFL's release policies and fees before you fill out paperwork and pay money. It will probably mean filling out more paperwork and an eight day wait at the new FFL. You need to be sure everything will work and it is considered the same purchase or you could loose your chance to own a now banned "assault weapon" remember the Purchase Order had to be complete before October 1st. Your safest course may be to learn patience and wait for your existing paperwork to clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom