• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FHJ69

Mar 13, 2011
    Upper PDRMC
    Hey Andy, AJ, Emily.

I need a .22 handgun that is reliable and is threaded at 1/2x28. Seems as though my son now has a hanker'n for shooting with me but it's a tiny 11 year old and the glock is beating him up.

Can you find me anything for the boy that he'll keep for his kid? Not off the hook, just fun and reliable.

Thanks,
    Frank

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    1/2x28 is locked in stone requirement. Ruger Mark III? Really? I have 2 and hate them both.

Unless you want to buy a Marvel conversion kit for a 1911 the Ruger MK Series is one of the finest. 22 Handguns for the price. S&W M41 is fantastic but costly, and they dont come threaded. A Browning Buckmark isnt bad either but aThreaded ones arent as common.

All of the above are better than any M&P .22 Handgun, Walther P22, SIG mosquito, or GSG 1911.

Crap, this is Engages Forum. I hope my responses are not out of line. I dont like to post suggestions in other I.P.s Forums. I dont want to cost an I.P. a sale.

My apologies.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    1/2x28 is locked in stone requirement. Ruger Mark III? Really? I have 2 and hate them both.

You should get whatever you want, but I'm curious: what don't you like about the MkIII? I've had three of these guns over the years (two MkIIs, and one MkIII) and never had much trouble with them... I still own two of them. They always struck me as rock solid and reliable guns... though the MkIII (with factory .5-28 threads, and purchased at Engage :D ) has less than 200 rounds so far, so I have limited experience with it.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    My usual recommendation is a Mk3.

That said, if you already have a Glock, you could always get a threaded TacSol conversion for it.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28

Probably took them apart and had to take them to a gunsmith in a bag. I am a huge fan of the S&W22A. I don't think factory threaded barrels are available but I am sure a gunsmith could rebate the end of the barrel and make an insert or just turn the end of the barrel down and thread it. The push button barrel swaps and reasonably priced barrels make it a slam dunk for me.

Bigpapa

Enthusiast
    Apr 18, 2011
    MD
    My Ruger 22/45 has also been very reliable, fun to shoot and with the threaded barrel I throw my suppressor on and can shoot about anywhere. If it's the taking apart you dislike, after you have done it a few times it's actually pretty routine.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Probably took them apart and had to take them to a gunsmith in a bag.[/B] I am a huge fan of the S&W22A. I don't think factory threaded barrels are available but I am sure a gunsmith could rebate the end of the barrel and make an insert or just turn the end of the barrel down and thread it. The push button barrel swaps and reasonably priced barrels make it a slam dunk for me.

My Ruger 22/45 has also been very reliable, fun to shoot and with the threaded barrel I throw my suppressor on and can shoot about anywhere. If it's the taking apart you dislike, after you have done it a few times it's actually pretty routine.

I agree. My father has a 22/45, I hated that gun until I got the hang of putting it back together. Now I'm looking at the 22/45 light for my son.

Bigpapa

Enthusiast
    Apr 18, 2011
    MD
    I agree. My father has a 22/45, I hated that gun until I got the hang of putting it back together. Now I'm looking at the 22/45 light for my son.

Good choice on the 22/45 Lite. I'm hoping they eventually sell just the Lite barrel, I would like to swap mine out.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Mosquito great gun however its a ammo queen, it usually only likes better ammo.

So very true! I use the Mosquito in my classes to have students experience FTF. FTE, etc when I have them use the bulk ammo. I then switch up to CCI to illustrate how ammo can make a difference in how a gun performs.

My choice for a reliable .22 would be a Ruger Mark II/III.

Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    As several people pointed out you have a lot of options. I would stay away from the Mosquito as we have had issues with them. The S&W M&P 22 is a nice piece as it has the feel of a full size handgun and isnt as finicky with ammo as the Mosquito. The Walther P22 is another decent option and has a very small grip that almost resembles a toy. However it remains to be seen whether these firearms would last 30 or 40 years for your son to pass on to his son.

We see plenty of used MK series rimfire pistols in here that are decades old and still work. Just a pain to maintain in terms of reassembly (IMHO). Right now Ruger Mk pistols are tight and we have had some issues snagging them recently.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I have a Ruger Mark I and II. I am looking for a Mark III. I don't know what there is to not like about these guns, except reassembly. I have torn down and reassembled these guns many times and they are still a pain in the ass. As difficult as they are I love them.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I bought my son a Walther P22 and a Sig Mosquito. I put a threaded barrel on the Walther because it fit his small hands and with a can on it, We can talk when he and i are shooting. Personaly I think the Rugers are to heavy for a child to shoot for long periods of time, We have shot thousands of rounds out of each useing nothing but bulk federal auto and i am very happy with both pistols. I shoot either a Smith 41 or a old Colt Ace converison.

lseries

Dec 11, 2011
    Probably took them apart and had to take them to a gunsmith in a bag.

That's what happened to me. I actually managed to break it in several places.

I will never, ever, under any circumstances, buy another Ruger product! In fact, Warren Buffet doesn't have enough money to pay me to take one of their ill-designed pieces of junk!

I will admit, though, that they are extremely accurate.

Last edited:

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    That's what happened to me. I actually managed to break it in several places.

I will never, ever, under any circumstances, buy another Ruger product! In fact, Warren Buffet doesn't have enough money to pay me to take one of their ill-designed pieces of junk!

I will admit, though, that they are extremely accurate.

Wow! That's a pretty strong opinion (of the most produced rimfire pistol in history). I will admit that everyone has a little trouble when they first learn how to strip the Standard/Mk guns; but once you learn, it's pretty darn simple. Out of curiosity, how did you break it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom