• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    I'm aware of Lyman's, Hornady and Hogdon's reloading manuals.
    Are they all fairly universal? Is there one that is more comprehensive than the rest? Do I need all three? Do people have a preference?
    Hogdon has the "Basic Reloading Manual" and then the "Annual Manual." I assume that I need both of these to form the best base of information to work from?

Thanks.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    That is their publicized load data from their tests. There's also the lee reloading manual. It is universal in a sense that it's a good practice to cross reference data from multiple sources and see what best fits your application.

Sent from my SM-A136U1 using Tapatalk

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I have Hornady, Lee, Lyman, and a few different powder manuals (like Alliant, Hodgon, and Western Powder). It never hurts to cross check your data. Some of the powder manuals are free, so the price is right.

I’m of the mindset that more information and options are better than less information and options.

If you have American Select powder (Alliant) and want to load some 38 Special, 9mm, or 45 ACP, you’ll only find it in the Lee and Alliant manuals. Hornady and Lyman are light on the less popular Alliant powders. When there’s a shortage (2013 and 2021) guess what powders are available? It’s the less popular ones. Back in 2013 I built up a lot of loads with American Select because it was all I could get.

Lastly, take detailed notes in your load book so you know what works and what could be improved. I use my personal load book a lot more now that I’ve got a lot of testing in there. My favorite load for the 350 Legend (165 gr. FTX, 22 gr. IMR-4227) isn’t in the Hornady book, but it’s in the Hodgon and Lyman books). Last time I was out I got 6/10 shots within 1” at 100 yards (which is good for me).

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Right, I'm aware that once you start reloading, you keep detailed logs so that you can faithfully replicate your favorite loads without having to pour through the book(s). Sounds like I'll need a few so I'll get cracking on that.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Speer, Barnes, Hornady, Sierra, Berger and Nosler will all be specific to the products of that individual bullet manufacturer. Alliant, Western, Hodgdon are going to be powder specific for each of those manufacturers. Lyman and Lee are generic compositions, with Lyman showing more data for lead loads than most. Myself, for these and many other reasons, I can't have enough reloading manuals.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Speer, Barnes, Hornady, Sierra, Berger and Nosler will all be specific to the products of that individual bullet manufacturer. Alliant, Western, Hodgdon are going to be powder specific for each of those manufacturers. Lyman and Lee are generic compositions, with Lyman showing more data for lead loads than most. Myself, for these and many other reasons, I can't have enough reloading manuals.
    This man knows the truth.

I'll add that I find Nosler data and berger data to be pretty solid and very specific. They do not include as many different powder choices as Lee or Lyman but do focus on what their lab found to be best performers.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Are they all fairly universal? Is there one that is more comprehensive than the rest? Do I need all three? Do people have a preference?
    Hogdon has the "Basic Reloading Manual" and then the "Annual Manual." I assume that I need both of these to form the best base of information to work from?

Thanks.

I think just like what others have already stated a multitude of reloading books is advantageous.
    Also don’t dismiss older reference guides and manuals or other published text.
    What I notice is many manuals leave out a lot of pertinent info pertaining to the subject. Probably because of the cost with printing distribution shipping size etc. They often do not provide the why but however do provide the how.
    Virgil Howe’s treatise, Small Arms textbook, Whelen’s ballistic volumes etc. are indispensable. Often expensive , but very well worth it.
    Sometime guys on the forum will provide access to older manuals.
    Someone not long ago forwarde a 80’s Sierra manual packed with good info.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

Thanks.

If you're just starting out with acquiring reloading manuals, you might want to consider focusing on the bullet specific manuals from Sierra, Hornady, and Speer as first choices. There are a number of reasons for this, but two of them are front of mind.

One, if you visit a shop that stocks reloading supplies? These 3 manufacturers, moreso than others, are the 3 brands that you'll most likely find widely stocked.

And two, with a bullet manufacturer specific manual, whatever box of bullets you find made by that manufacturer will cross reference to your manual exactly. The box and the manual both will list an exact product number. No guessing. No questions. For example, if you find a Hornady .308 diameter 150 grain bullet in stock, your manual will provide load data for that exact product number of bullet. That exact matchup is reassuring for new reloaders, and with good reason. When you consider the many variations of bullets, even with bullets of the very same weight, that direct cross reference can eliminate potential errors and confusion.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    This man knows the truth.

I'll add that I find Nosler data and berger data to be pretty solid and very specific. They do not include as many different powder choices as Lee or Lyman but do focus on what their lab found to be best performers.
    I was going to say that 4g64loser is no loser when it comes to knowledge in the reloading arena.
    Glad to see Uncle Duke add in here too.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    If you're just starting out with acquiring reloading manuals, you might want to consider focusing on the bullet specific manuals from Sierra, Hornady, and Speer as first choices. There are a number of reasons for this, but two of them are front of mind.

One, if you visit a shop that stocks reloading supplies? These 3 manufacturers, moreso than others, are the 3 brands that you'll most likely find widely stocked.

And two, with a bullet manufacturer specific manual, whatever box of bullets you find made by that manufacturer will cross reference to your manual exactly. The box and the manual both will list an exact product number. No guessing. No questions. For example, if you find a Hornady .308 diameter 150 grain bullet in stock, your manual will provide load data for that exact product number of bullet. That exact matchup is reassuring for new reloaders, and with good reason. When you consider the many variations of bullets, even with bullets of the very same weight, that direct cross reference can eliminate potential errors and confusion.
    Great post,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, in the eyes of this novice reloader.

I started with a Hornady Lock n Load press and the manual that came with it. Most of my projectiles are either Speer or Hornady so far. It would definitely make sense how you say it about "exact matchup" and reassuring, possible errors, confusion...

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Great stuff guys. Many thanks.

with a bullet manufacturer specific manual, whatever box of bullets you find made by that manufacturer will cross reference to your manual exactly. The box and the manual both will list an exact product number. No guessing. No questions. For example, if you find a Hornady .308 diameter 150 grain bullet in stock, your manual will provide load data for that exact product number of bullet. That exact matchup is reassuring for new reloaders

Yes, this is what I'm looking for, especially as a new guy.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Manuals
    Most of the manuals are specific to their product line. Like Hornady, Speer, Sierra, Nosler, Berger.
    Lyman covers different manufacturers plus cast boollits.
    Bergers goes more into the Ballistics of it all.
    Bryan Litz..but data for their bullets.

The more manuals you have to better as more knowledge.
    Then you get into gun specific loading data from various sources. Loading for M1 Garand, M1A, AR'S, etc.

Food for thought ..just because the bullet is the same weight, same basic shape, description, different manufacturers does not mean the are the same there are different "bearing surfaces, ogives, even different metal composition in the bullet jacket". Then look at what the round / load data was tested in the variables the manufacturers use. Rifle, brass, primers, was it fired in a universal receiver.

Basically the more manuals you have the better, even collections of older manuals come in handy, old bullets, old powders, maybe even a discontinued cartridge. You never know about these things

-Rock

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Depending on how many calibers you're going to load for you might check out the "All In One Loadbooks" series. They're caliber-specific, but a compilation of many different reloading manuals for that caliber.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Of the manuals published by bullet mfgs , Speer is most comprehensive about general reloading topics .

For mainstream level comprehensive overview , surprised to not yet see mention of ABC's of Reloading . Likewise the various editions of NRA Reloading Guide .

If your tastes go beyond the usual handfull of calibers and usual handfull of powders , and beyond the basics , Wolfle Publishing has a whole catalog of books of every aspect of handloading and bullet casting . ( Plus consider subscribing to their Handloader bi monthly magazine .)

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I'll jump on the bandwagon and say that having several different manuals to cross check isn't a bad idea. I have 3 that I use:

Lyman
    Lee
    Hornady

If I'm loading Xtreme plated bullets for pistol, I'll check their load data as well.

When I'm working up a load for something, I try to find a harmony between the 3 reloading manuals, and I'll go from there, and then of course I record every round I reload, along with some notes about the load itself, and how it performed.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD

Thanks.
    Here are some other places that have info on reloading.

Cool_Moo5e

Sep 4, 2023
    Harford
    I have the Hornady reloading book and use the load data sheet LEE gives you with their reloading die then find a middle ground for the velocity I want.

If you want a free option look up "Hodgdon load data" and put in the info, they only have powder options that they sell but it works if that is what you got.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom